Sign in to follow this  
dunhamr1

Brake Pedal vs Gas Pedal height?

There's a lot of other things for me to worry about before I get to setup on pedal heights, but I was curious what folks thoughts were in terms of the difference in height between the brake and gas pedal.

It seems that my pedal has a ton of travel and, under hard braking, my foot is buried way below the gas pedal. I would have to lift my foot completely to get to the gas pedal. This makes heel-toe difficult.

My thought was to put an extension on the brake pedal to raise the height a bit relative to the gas pedal. Has anyone else run into this and how did they deal with it or solve it?

6 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

which car is this for? 😂

1989 Merkur XR4Ti 😂

my 240SX is similar- it has a very long pedal stroke due to the wilwood pedals.  when I installed them, I had to modify the linkage on the gas pedal and I did several things:

1. bend pedal linkage the left several inches to be closer to brake pedal..   (the pedal assembly had to move to the left of the steering column whereas the factory setup had a curved pedal that bent around it....  so all the pedals are shifted a little with the wilwood setup)

You can see how far apart the gas and brake are after I first installed the pedals: http://mattblehm.com/pics/240SX/brakes/DSCN3907.jpg

2. twist linkage to rotate the face of the gas pedal toward the brake pedal

3. add a wider cover plate to gas pedal so it's more than 1.25" wide.

In the end, this placed the pedal closer and angled it so that when the brake pedal is low I use the side of my foot to hit the top/side of the gas pedal and it still works just fine.

This is the only photo I can find of it and it's poor, but you can get the point I think: http://mattblehm.com/pics/240SX/roll_cage/2012-07-18_21-08-02_945.jpg

So in short, I modified the pedal and I use the side of my foot instead of my heel to blip the throttle.

I did this on my E92. After trying and failing repeatedly to find a heel-toe technique that worked for my pedal position, I decided some modifications were in order.

What I ended up doing was ordering three OEM rubber pedal pads. I started by gluing two of them together, figuring I'd see how that worked out and only add the third if needed (I'd rather not put any more stuff here than I have to). Turns out that just adding that extra half-inch of pedal thickness made a huge difference.

Obviously the big concern here is making sure whatever you install isn't going to fall off at an inopportune time. I used copious amount of rubber cement and so far my "extension" is holding up nicely.

One of my friends has a wood block screwed onto his gas pedal.. :)   but at least it's permanently attached..

18 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

One of my friends has a wood block screwed onto his gas pedal.. :)   but at least it's permanently attached..

This is what i was Imagining, but to the brake pedal.

29 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

my 240SX is similar- it has a very long pedal stroke due to the wilwood pedals.  when I installed them, I had to modify the linkage on the gas pedal and I did several things:

1. bend pedal linkage the left several inches to be closer to brake pedal..   (the pedal assembly had to move to the left of the steering column whereas the factory setup had a curved pedal that bent around it....  so all the pedals are shifted a little with the wilwood setup)

You can see how far apart the gas and brake are after I first installed the pedals: http://mattblehm.com/pics/240SX/brakes/DSCN3907.jpg

2. twist linkage to rotate the face of the gas pedal toward the brake pedal

3. add a wider cover plate to gas pedal so it's more than 1.25" wide.

In the end, this placed the pedal closer and angled it so that when the brake pedal is low I use the side of my foot to hit the top/side of the gas pedal and it still works just fine.

This is the only photo I can find of it and it's poor, but you can get the point I think: http://mattblehm.com/pics/240SX/roll_cage/2012-07-18_21-08-02_945.jpg

So in short, I modified the pedal and I use the side of my foot instead of my heel to blip the throttle.

I like the bend/ angle of the gas pedal idea.

F144670547.jpg

I got one of these.. works great in combination with some bending. 

I'll try to get some photos tonight, but the problem I was having is that the brake pedal is BELOW the gas pedal under hard braking. And the rest of the braking system has been gone through, reman MC, RBF600 fluid, stainless steel lines, and 2016 Focus calipers all around.  Extending the width of the gas pedal couldn't hurt though. @Dennis where did you buy that piece you've got?

I made a similar one out of 1/8" alu plate I had laying in the scrap bin.   cut it at home with wood tools and you can bend it in a vice or with blocks of wood and a hammer.   I shaped it to the curvature of the gas pedal, sanded the surface down a little for looks, then drilled a bunch of holes in it and attached to the gas pedal with some #18 or #10 screws and nylock nuts.  voila.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:49 AM, Dennis said:

F144670547.jpg

I got one of these.. works great in combination with some bending. 

I made similar piece for my Mustang's gas pedal our of black plastic cutting board. Works perfect and disappears against black carpet.

Decided to try the gas pedal extension with an angled part. Was at the junkyard for other reasons today and happened across a piece of 1/8 flat aluminum (it was a skid plate) which will work perfectly.

See attached photo for current pedal position and with pedal depressed. Hard to tell the depth, and my foot is purposely off to the left to expose the brake pedal (before anyone asks).

20190803_083401.jpg

20190803_083514.jpg

My cable had alot of slack on the gas pedal and the pedal was too far down so I just used some tie wraps and cinched around the cable to raise the pedal up.  Worked great

On 10/3/2019 at 12:02 PM, Talley said:

My cable had alot of slack on the gas pedal and the pedal was too far down so I just used some tie wraps and cinched around the cable to raise the pedal up.  Worked great

Slack may be part of the issue, as the car has a re-positioned intake. The cable run is shorter and right now I just have the excess looped and tucked away. Mostly though its about the ability to move the foot over to the gas pedal when full in the brakes.