Omniren

New Member - Omniren

Had a very nice talk with the guy who runs TDE Rick and he was very helpful with a bunch of questions I had.  I have one adjustment to make to the mounting of my submarine belt but after that seems like I'll be ready to attend 🙂

6 hours ago, Talley said:

I'm not sure where the flag locations are at yet but I can say Yes my main goal is to run smooth lines and know the track/flags etc like a hawk.  I figure thats my quickest path to getting the instructor out of my car.

Something to consider (which will probably make it a way better experience overall), is that the instructor has a lot of skill/experience to share.  What I mean by that is, rather than just trying to get the guy/girl out of your car, have a good conversation before and after the sessions (you won’t get much time so hit like 1-2 things).  The whole 2-ears, 1-mouth thing applies here, so listen to what they have to say, and ask relevant questions.

The instructor will vary their feedback based on where your skill level is.....so if they’re only giving input instructions and pointing out flags the whole day/weekend, then you may not be ready to advance.  If you have the basics nailed, then they will slowly start to point out one or two places on the track where you can carry more speed, pick up the throttle a little earlier, etc.  That probably indicates that you’re doing quite well for your “level” (whatever that is).

TDE puts an instructor in the car right up through Yellow.  So I wouldn’t plan on riding solo this event.  Personally, I did some PCA events before starting with TDE, and they offered “Advanced Instruction” slots that you could manually sign up for throughout the weekend.  One weekend, I found myself running the same lap times at the MSR-C 3.1 mile (3x) sessions in a row, so I signed up for the last session of advanced instruction......and I just wished I had done it earlier, we had a blast trying out different things, and it opened my eyes in a few corners etc.

All that to say, the instruction is a bit “self-regulating”.  Go out there to have fun, enjoy the car, and then after a couple sessions start to pick a couple things to work on each session.  Try to learn as much as you can (you are payin for the instruction after all), and you’ll know whether advancing makes sense as you go.

Cheers,

19 minutes ago, Solo_S14 said:

Something to consider (which will probably make it a way better experience overall), is that the instructor has a lot of skill/experience to share.  What I mean by that is, rather than just trying to get the guy/girl out of your car, have a good conversation before and after the sessions (you won’t get much time so hit like 1-2 things).  The whole 2-ears, 1-mouth thing applies here, so listen to what they have to say, and ask relevant questions.

The instructor will vary their feedback based on where your skill level is.....so if they’re only giving input instructions and pointing out flags the whole day/weekend, then you may not be ready to advance.  If you have the basics nailed, then they will slowly start to point out one or two places on the track where you can carry more speed, pick up the throttle a little earlier, etc.  That probably indicates that you’re doing quite well for your “level” (whatever that is).

TDE puts an instructor in the car right up through Yellow.  So I wouldn’t plan on riding solo this event.  Personally, I did some PCA events before starting with TDE, and they offered “Advanced Instruction” slots that you could manually sign up for throughout the weekend.  One weekend, I found myself running the same lap times at the MSR-C 3.1 mile (3x) sessions in a row, so I signed up for the last session of advanced instruction......and I just wished I had done it earlier, we had a blast trying out different things, and it opened my eyes in a few corners etc.

All that to say, the instruction is a bit “self-regulating”.  Go out there to have fun, enjoy the car, and then after a couple sessions start to pick a couple things to work on each session.  Try to learn as much as you can (you are payin for the instruction after all), and you’ll know whether advancing makes sense as you go.

Cheers,

This is excellent advice

See the MSRH calendar.  For 150 bucks, payable to MSRH, I’ll be your huckleberry member sponsor. 

12 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

Cheers,

Great advice thank you and I completely agree.  When I said "get the instructor out of my car".  I have full expectations of about 30 events of having an instructor, possibly more, so understand I am modest and very patient.  

However, I am driven to succeed and that is my goal is to get to instructor level.  The only way to get there is to have 2 big ears and tons of seat time.  

....just please don't tell the wife how much $ this will end up costing me to achieve this goal LOL

8 hours ago, Hastarock said:

See the MSRH calendar.  For 150 bucks, payable to MSRH, I’ll be your huckleberry member sponsor. 

I'm shooting for a promotion at work which will free up my weekends permanently.  If I am successful with this then I will become a member.  Until then I need all the instruction I can get with as much seat time as I can get.

With that being said I definitely need as much seat time and instruction  until then.  If your being open on that offer I'll definitely want to hook up to discuss further.

6 hours ago, Talley said:

Great advice thank you and I completely agree.  When I said "get the instructor out of my car".  I have full expectations of about 30 events of having an instructor, possibly more, so understand I am modest and very patient.

You may have a much shorter timeline than that if you have some knowledge of car control going in and you keep the ears-open attitude. I progressed a lot faster than this, though I had a lot of years watching road racing and getting a feel for the fundamentals before I was ever on a track.

Basically, the "milestones" in my "career" were:

• Event #3: First time in blue group, part-time solo approved on Sunday
  • Event #8: Passed yellow checkride
  • Event #11: Approved for full-time solo in yellow
  • Event #15: Passed red checkride

Obviously that's just one data point and isn't going to be representative of anyone else's situation, but it's an illustration of how things can go.

The fact that you're spending a lot of time trying to learn the track beforehand indicates to me that your head is in the right place. Some other bits of advice:

• Take advantage of the lunchtime parade laps. It's a good time to drive the track without the "pressure" of going at speed, and you can practice hitting your marks.
  • By the same right, always try and drive a perfect line around the track, even if it's a warmup or cooldown lap.
  • Also try to get a ride-along with an advanced student or instructor at some point during the weekend. Parade laps and such are good for getting a feel for the track and finding reference points, but there's no substitute for seeing all this at speed, and seeing it while not worrying about driving the car is extremely useful.