Omniren

New Member - Omniren

Hello Everyone! First off, let me introduce myself, I am Patrick and a recent transplant to Houston from Chicago. I have decided to act upon one of my life goals which is to learn how to drive on the track and hopefully compete. I have recently acquired a 2003 Mazda Miata Shinsen that is going to be shipped to Houston from California. This has been tastefully modified for track with roll bars, coilovers, and frame brace. Since I am new to tracking, I will purchase the 2 session one on one instruction to learn how to drive on the track. My question is, where do I proceed from there? I don't know if I can dump a full membership on MSR Houston yet because I'm still an amateur but would love to get some track time before I decide to pull the trigger maybe in a year or two. Here are a few pictures of my car. Any feedback/input would be appreciated!

Picture3.jpg

Picture7.jpg

Picture8.jpg

Welcome! Definitely check out TDE. After you’ve done one or two of those, check out the other groups (like Chin, Apex, etc). Beautiful car!

Welcome!  the other guys have the recommendations covered. :)

Once you’ve gotten your feet wet with TDE in Houston, I’d also recommend the PCA Maverick group.  They do a lot at Cresson (the 3.1 there is awesome!), I’ve enjoyed their events.  I think TDE is doing the Cresson 3.1 twice this fall as well.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I will be sure to look through them. I look forward to seeing everyone on the track!

Welcome!! You are one of the many "refugees" to Texas from Chitcago!!

Welcome and have fun at MSRH, great track for your mx5

Welcome to the site.  I'm from the chicagoland area as well natively and now I'm a born again Texan.

I'm signing up for the TDE 9/14-15 event right now as we speak.  You should too we can be noobs together.

Welcome! How do you like the Texas weather :D?

Thank you everyone!!

I’m going to also try TDE on 9/14 and 15 if I am able to get my car on time lol. If I do, I’ll definitely hit you up Talley

Texas weather is humid as hell. I remember getting off the plane and being hit with a huge wall of humidity lol. But I think I’m used to it now. But I do like the weather here better than Chicago. The only thing I hate here are the bugs... 

LOL

This summer has been nice in regard to the bugs.  It's pretty dry right now.  wait till a rainy spring and summer, and see how bad the mosquitoes get. but at least it doesn't snow in October and stay on the ground till February!

This is my sixth Houston summer, and I think I've finally made peace with it. The last few years I pretty much found any reason to stay inside during the summer, and nothing got done. This year I'm committing hard to trying to get my airplane project done, which means just going out and working on it, and damn the sweat. Just gotta take frequent breaks.

I still don't do any track events basically from June to August, though.

Anyway, I'm signed up for the 14/15 event, hope to see you there!

for me, the trick is to make myself go outside in the spring as it's warming up and then stay acclimated  to the heat through the summer.  mow my own lawn, do my own stunts, etc.  yeah I sweat (A LOT!), but it helps considerably when it's time to be stuck outside all day in July.

This is why I live in the DFW area!! Not hear as humid as Houston...usually..... 😂

I still walk around with a cool shirt system most of the time though LOL....

Man you guys are a different breed. Born and raised here...can tolerate the heat because that's life, but getting used to it...NEVER!! 

LOL

Well you just live with it. Turn up the AC if it gets too hot. Though in this Miata, I'll probably lose like 10 HP lol

During the summer I measure the severity of heat during the day by the number of shirts I sweat through in the garage. Not get sweaty, but literally saturate to the point that I can wring them out :(

Also OP - that is a sweet looking Miata you have there!

On 8/9/2019 at 1:15 PM, joesurf79 said:

During the summer I measure the severity of heat during the day by the number of shirts I sweat through in the garage. Not get sweaty, but literally saturate to the point that I can wring them out 😞

Also OP - that is a sweet looking Miata you have there!

Haha! That's a good way to measure the severity of the heat.

Thank you! And that's a awesome looking BRZ you got there 😉 Hopefully my 1.8 can keep up with your 2.5 lol

9 hours ago, Omniren said:

Haha! That's a good way to measure the severity of the heat.

Thank you! And that's a awesome looking BRZ you got there 😉 Hopefully my 1.8 can keep up with your 2.5 lol

Thanks! I'm kinda partial to it after three years of working on it. Sometimes I even make something better instead of worse haha!

You'll have no problem with that - it's only a 2.0L ;0 Snag a ride while we're out there! I'll be at the TDE MSRH event coming up 9/14-15  as well.

I wonder how many usually run in the novice group at this next event.   Also, how long it takes to get out of novice group?  I'm still clueless how long It'll take me to solo. 

4 hours ago, Talley said:

I wonder how many usually run in the novice group at this next event.   Also, how long it takes to get out of novice group?  I'm still clueless how long It'll take me to solo. 

Itll be fun regardless buddy 🙂 

6 hours ago, Talley said:

Note: all of what I'm about to write only applies to TDE, I don't have experience with other orgs.

Honestly, and speaking as someone who's come all the way up over the past few years, advancing a run group isn't as big of a thing as you might think in terms of driving experience. Though I will say that making it into red, I felt like I'd "arrived" in some sense of the word.

The main advantage of getting out of green is having a lot more free time on your weekends. The green group spends a ton of time in the classroom, though on Sunday Rick tends to be a bit more lax with students who've been through his green classes before. You also get eight full-speed sessions instead of seven (the first green session is all full-course yellow, no helmets, your instructor drives the first couple laps to orient you to the track environment).

Hopping up from blue to yellow, I was half expecting to find myself in over my head, but it honestly felt about the same as blue, just with a narrower range of skill/awareness by the other drivers. Blue seems to have a wide variance - at one end you have the part-time solo students who are about ready to go yellow, on the other end you have students who just made it out of green. Blue is also usually the hardest group to get registered for - it fills up super fast.

Yellow to red was a similar theme, it didn't feel super different, at least not until I got my first point on a turn entry. Feels a bit odd the first time to make one of those passes.

All that is to say, it's fun to think of your progress in terms of moving up in run groups, but don't get too hung up on it. Also, remember that moving up has a lot less to do with your driving skill and way more with your awareness and safety on-track. We all wanna go fast, but demonstrating your ability to play well with others is the Real Big Thing.

7 hours ago, N546RV said:

Blue seems to have a wide variance - at one end you have the part-time solo students who are about ready to go yellow, on the other end you have students who just made it out of green. Blue is also usually the hardest group to get registered for - it fills up super fast.

...way more with your awareness and safety on-track. We all wanna go fast, but demonstrating your ability to play well with others is the Real Big Thing.

^^This. Car Control, Car situational awareness, Awareness of others on track, anticipation / planning what you want to happen, then knowing how to make the car do that, and adjusting as the situation changes real-time. All those skills matter more than lap times w.r.t. "run group progression". It takes time to get the mental database built to do that.

And the wide variance in groups is in part because of the Humans in the loop. As standard as Rick would like to make the criteria for progression, it comes to a Human's subjective application of those objective criteria. Some "move up" sooner than they should, others should have been moved up but cant for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they just want to stay in a group where their friends are.

I figured it was more based on the awareness.  This is why I've spent 3hrs now watching youtube videos on a CCW setup to try to memorize the track.  I've even tested myself by scrolling to different positions on the videos with my eyes closed let it play open my eyes and 9/10 times I know exactly where they are on the track.   I did receive a pointer from another driver that I need to do that but know the "names" of the turns like gut check and such and I should be able to call out the next turn by name in this same manner.

I'm not sure where the flag locations are at yet but I can say Yes my main goal is to run smooth lines and know the track/flags etc like a hawk.  I figure thats my quickest path to getting the instructor out of my car.

Also.... I really hope that instructor isn't too big or too small.  My seat is hard bolted with no adjustments.  Hope that isn't an issue.   While I don't have a problem for an instructor to drive my car I'd hate to be rude to quiz them on what type of car they are use to driving.  I've never done this before so unsure of the process for a first time out.