Sign in to follow this  
Captain Buddha

Jumping Into the Trans Am Series....TA2!!

You may have seen my car and racing with SCCA this year, starting in January at Homestead and Sebring then on to COTA then the June Sprints at Road America and then back to COTA. I'm very fortunate to be currently sitting in 1st place in the SCCA Majors Southern Region and 3rd place in the SCCA Super Tour, it's been a GREAT year so far! The whole goal for the new race car that I had built is to run the Trans Am TA2 Muscle Car Challenge Series, to at least give it a shot...well, that is about to happen! My SCCA Pro License has been approved and I am signed up for both the October COTA and November Daytona Trans Am races!! So excited about this!! The #59 MANUFACTURING NEWS Chevy Camaro is approved to race for 2019 with Trans Am!

However, I'm also making good on a promise (for all of his help with my racing) to my very good friend, Max Nufer, his PRO debut is in my car this August at the Mid Ohio TA2 Muscle Car Challenge!! It's a huge field, 33 cars, a few of them being Xfinity drivers that are prepping for their race that afternoon in the Xfinity series - this is going to be EPIC!! He's testing in the car at Brainerd today, he's looking great! Entry list for Mid-Ohio is here:

http://gotransam.cdn.racersites.com/assets/2019 Mid OHio Entry List (7-28-2019)2.pdf

Here's the Trans Am Mid-Ohio Schedule:

http://gotransam.cdn.racersites.com/assets/2019 Mid Ohio Schedule v7 (7-19-19)2.pdf

Max2-59.JPG

Livin the dream!!!

and Max ain't skeered o' that loud pedal!

5 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

Livin the dream!!!

and Max ain't skeered o' that loud pedal!

Heck yeah!!! Max can definitely drop the hammer!! The talent pool for the Mid-Ohio TA2 race is REALLY deep but I think he will be at the pointy end of the field...fingers are crossed for podium....it's a fairly long race (i.e. - long sprint) so a LOT can happen, and Mid-Ohio is a crazy place....I told Max to not be afraid to put his elbows out, after all, the Xfinity guys will be doing that anyway....LOL...

11 minutes ago, mt.nichols said:

Congrats! I definitely want to go W2W someday

Thank you! It was the best decision I've made....it totally changes the way you drive....!!

2 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

Heck yeah!!! Max can definitely drop the hammer!! The talent pool for the Mid-Ohio TA2 race is REALLY deep but I think he will be at the pointy end of the field...fingers are crossed for podium....it's a fairly long race (i.e. - long sprint) so a LOT can happen, and Mid-Ohio is a crazy place....I told Max to not be afraid to put his elbows out, after all, the Xfinity guys will be doing that anyway....LOL...

Elbows out driving can get REAL expensive..  and just make sure he doesn't get anywhere near Drissi.  I wouldn't even paddock near that guy for fear of him wrecking me....  :P

Yes....remember last year when my car debuted at COTA for the Trans Am series? I was in Tokyo....we had a pro in the car who went from 17 to 3rd/podium! The majority of the bodywork had to be replaced....LOL...but hey, PODIUM!!!

I hear ya! TA2 runs in it own separate group. TA runs with SGT and GT. The only time all classes will run together is at the year end finale, Daytona.

Yes, but Dillon got to pay for all that bodywork, not you!  (well at least I hope there was a pre-nup written to cover that! )

As luck would have it...

Max Nufer's pro debut was this weekend at Indy!! He qualified P11! It was a VERY last minute thing....the team was there anyway (for other clients racing at Indy)....we needed to hammer out some engine misfire issues....so we had Max come in to do some testing....that turned in practice which turned into needing more time to diagnose which led to qualifying which led to the race!! I flew up Saturday evening and watched the race on Sunday...WOW!!

So...it was an AWESOME race! P5!!!

He won the Cool Shirt “Cool Move” of the day award for moving from P11 to P5. Thanks to TRB Autosports and Katech for all their hard work getting the car sorted out.

Read the last few paragraphs...

http://gotransam.com/news/MILLER-SUR...E-SEASON/69557

Now its on to Mid Ohio for this weekend!

image.png.7c1511e5a8e57c1e5f2c3874988cfa5a.png

image.png.9ecafcc9975e2529b9c438561678710c.png

image.png.ab5a6daa6cf2b48714fa59b447010eff.png

image.thumb.png.4d1b1e9b4c19f8d524b781116298e696.png

image.thumb.png.3933796425dfc5a9d8979669e612eb89.png

image.thumb.png.65d299cb996b9cab3308a79177109407.png

image.thumb.png.3a7a003595986aacf169b587497869b3.png

image.thumb.png.0181ed473b73a74a6627671c657e21bb.png

21 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

As luck would have it...

Max Nufer's pro debut was this weekend at Indy!! He qualified P11! It was a VERY last minute thing....the team was there anyway (for other clients racing at Indy)....we needed to hammer out some engine misfire issues....so we had Max come in to do some testing....that turned in practice which turned into needing more time to diagnose which led to qualifying which led to the race!! I flew up Saturday evening and watched the race on Sunday...WOW!!

So...it was an AWESOME race! P5!!!

P11 to P5 is impressive - congrats to the team! Best of luck this weekend at Mid Ohio.

Thank you!! We should be able to qualify better this weekend - not enough time was devoted to optimized setup....due to all the time/effort spent with the engine....fingers crossed!! We head out tomorrow morning, the transporter/team is already there.

Max qualified P9 in a very talented field of drivers and moved up to P7 then the following... 

From Max: 
It was a long day today at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course for the Trans Am Series TA2 Race. I was able to make up a couple spots and we definitely had a shot at running in the top five. Unfortunately another car had an issue and dumped all of its water on the track right in front us in a high speed corner. I was able to get the car back on track but by then, enough grass had gotten in the front duct-work to overheat the motor ending our day. Overall, we showed fast and consistent pace all weekend and proved we could run with some of the very best in Trans Am. I’m very proud of my team and what we were able to accomplish despite the results not reflecting it. A huge thanks to Brad and Dani of Manufacturing News for the trust and opportunity they gave me to race this weekend. The TRB Autosport guys were awesome and worked hard all weekend long to get our chassis set up perfect. Katech once again had fantastic track side support and helped us throughout the weekend. I just want to thank everyone for all their support these last two races. It really means a lot and we’ll be back even stronger for the next race! 

BTW: 
The Mid-Ohio race will be televised along with Road America from what I know, found out this weekend.

OH noes!  I hope the overheat was only race-ending and not terminal damage. :(

It was race-ending...but I’m rebuilding the motor as insurance for future races...it’s right about time anyway...MUCH cheaper to do a rebuild than have to buy a brand new one...although i was prepared to buy a new one if needed to make Road America but we are going to take a few weeks off...so, next race will be with me piloting....October 4-6 at COTA!!

I’m heading to the Rolex Monterrey Reunion at Laguna Seca this weekend to get measured for a new Stand 21 suit...they are there and the timing is tight....so, bonus...get to watch some FANTASTIC vintage racing!!

Good stuff.   With Katech doing work on the car, I had assumed you were tuning a recently built/replaced engine already so I was hoping he didn't hurt a 2-race engine!

Gotcha...it’s the engine that I bought from Katech when I had the car built. Katech is at all of the Trans Am races, Beau (from Katech) was under our tent a bunch helping us out! As part of Katech’s sponsorship of the TA2 series they provide technical support and engines to the track for each race!

Pro racing is such a different environment than club level on those regards...

Oh Matt....let me tell you...it’s CRAZY...in EVERY way!! But a LOT of FUN!! You should come out for COTA Trans Am...first weekend of October...SVRA too!!