It was suggested that we needed another board for tracks and events in Texas that don't deserve a forum of their own, so here we are.

Like what, autocross? I signed up for the NTAXS event at TMS tomorrow, first NTAXS in awhile (I'm usually at the track on Saturdays).

2 hours ago, BRZ4Science said:

Like what, autocross? I signed up for the NTAXS event at TMS tomorrow, first NTAXS in awhile (I'm usually at the track on Saturdays).

Autocross was one of the things I was thinking about, for sure!

i would autocross if i didn't have to work and got more than 4 minutes of seat time. 

18 minutes ago, lobster said:

i would autocross if i didn't have to work and got more than 4 minutes of seat time. 

Just go slower, you'll get more seat time and less cone material left on your car.

zero interest in autox.  I want 20+ minutes of seat time each session.

Since I'm new and just starting I went ahead and did some research and put me a list together of the tracks.

image.png.be47945af79488fff46a0c2a5b258d0c.png

8 minutes ago, Talley said:

zero interest in autox.  I want 20+ minutes of seat time each session.

Since I'm new and just starting I went ahead and did some research and put me a list together of the tracks.

image.png.be47945af79488fff46a0c2a5b258d0c.png

Harris Hill is expanding?

10 minutes ago, robertcope said:

Harris Hill is expanding?

sorry i had filtering enabled and sorted it by distance to my house after the fact... that never moved since it was outside filtering.  Grandsport is supposed to expand... we'll see.

Autox seat time isn't the same as HPDE track time, that's like comparing running the mile to running the 100m hurdles. If you are new to performance driving, autox is the single best place to learn car control. Sure, working (especially in the summer) sucks but you're paying under $50 and a set of competitive tires lasts an entire season. I think the biggest issue track people have with autox is that they keep getting destroyed by Miatas.

575rwhp and 530rwtq on a 3600lb car has no business running around a parking lot.  

1 hour ago, Talley said:

575rwhp and 530rwtq on a 3600lb car has no business running around a parking lot.  

If you can't control it at an autox, what hope do you have on a track? Go to a BMW autox at mineral wells, that lot is huge (1/2mile by 1/4mile). There have been over 100s courses there and you'll be able to stretch the legs (down in Houston, they run at the sheriff's center and that works with power cars).

1 minute ago, BRZ4Science said:

If you can't control it at an autox, what hope do you have on a track? Go to a BMW autox at mineral wells, that lot is huge (1/2mile by 1/4mile). There have been over 100s courses there and you'll be able to stretch the legs (down in Houston, they run at the sheriff's center and that works with power cars).

It's not about the control.  I've done the autox previously.  Just tired of the little seat time.  I work 6-7 days a week so when I take off for an event I want track time.  

Right now I have 0 events... who's to say I can even control it at all 😄

LOL
You'd be amazed how many high power cars show up to autoX.  it's really about learning the traction limits of the car and how to transition between them between gas, brake, turn.  you really get to understand friction circle and the limits of the chassis.  And in a car like yours, you'll learn what smooth throttle application means. :)

Everything you do on autoX course can translate to a road course.  vice versa isn't quite so much but they do translate.   good autoXers almost always make good road racers, but the opposite is not necessarily true.

I highly recommend looking for one of the autoX "school days" where you get 30-40-50 runs over the course of a day.  it will definitely make you a better driver!

2 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

LOL
You'd be amazed how many high power cars show up to autoX.  it's really about learning the traction limits of the car and how to transition between them between gas, brake, turn.  you really get to understand friction circle and the limits of the chassis.  And in a car like yours, you'll learn what smooth throttle application means. 🙂

Everything you do on autoX course can translate to a road course.  vice versa isn't quite so much but they do translate.   good autoXers almost always make good road racers, but the opposite is not necessarily true.

I highly recommend looking for one of the autoX "school days" where you get 30-40-50 runs over the course of a day.  it will definitely make you a better driver!

Thanks.  I'm definitely open to ALL opportunities to learn right now.  I want to attend two events before the year is up and spend all next year making 6-8 events dedicated to mostly all instruction and learning.  Then I feel like I can start moving toward actually taking the car to it's max but until then I don't ever plan on going more than 6/10ths

1 hour ago, Talley said:

Thanks.  I'm definitely open to ALL opportunities to learn right now.  I want to attend two events before the year is up and spend all next year making 6-8 events dedicated to mostly all instruction and learning.  Then I feel like I can start moving toward actually taking the car to it's max but until then I don't ever plan on going more than 6/10ths

An autox is way cheaper than a trackday and you can get up to 10/10ths in a much safer environment (you could also find a co-drive if you don't want to use your mustang). The all in registration and consumables cost for an autox is well under $100 (I use $30 in consumables in my BRZ, which is half what I'll spend on gas alone for a trackday).

AutoX used to cost me more in gas to get to the event than anything I used at the event.  $100 for the event sounds about right between wear items, entry, fuel, etc if the event is in town.

Road race?   I budget $1500/weekend for consumables (And that's assuming nothing breaks.  just tires, fuel, brakes, oil.), $500 for entry fees, and $500 for travel if it's an out of town race.

I keep a spreadsheet....don't ask LOL!!!

If you want a quick fix....then AutoX/Solo is your thing! I did a few and definitely had fun but once I discovered track days...well, that was it! Did as many as I could do and became a full on junkie! Then bought a race car and joined ECR....the rest is well, really expensive....LOL! Sure, you can definitely do it for less. I think Matt probably has the most fun per the dollar spent!!

Yeah, I quit actually counting a long time ago.   I just schedule the race and buy what I need, and ignore the actual costs.  feedback loop with the finance department says bank account is still positive, so I put another race on the calendar.  when the budget gets tight and the wife starts sweating if I ask her for racing money, then I either don't race or I race anyway on used (shitty) tires and finish last.

What is this finance department you speak of? LOL!! Hey, at least you are racing!! That's what counts!

17 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

What is this finance department you speak of? LOL!! Hey, at least you are racing!! That's what counts!

The finance department is the one that makes sure there's beer in the fridge and gas in the hauler in addition to tires on the race car.  And as of this weekend, there's THREE of us racing!

IMG_8250.jpg

2 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

The finance department is the one that makes sure there's beer in the fridge and gas in the hauler in addition to tires on the race car.  And as of this weekend, there's THREE of us racing!

IMG_8250.jpg

That is freaking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Rocking!!!