Sign in to follow this  
skillman11

Speed Secrets COTA Virtual Track Walk

I found it useful to take advantage of my first cota track day. Really helpful to have reference points and know where the car should be positioned going out for the first time.

Curious what you think Skillman. 

Or what Bentley can provide that an hour of COTA in iRacing VR wouldn't..

I don't Irace, and I haven't seen the track walk video -- but I have walked the track a couple times.

What I learned was elevation subtleties, curb heights and depths and multiple camber in the corners.

Mike

I purchased the virtual track walk and it was really helpful prior to driving at COTA.   It is long!!!!  Just about 3 hours.  Which makes it impossible to go through quickly for a refresher.  I did take a lot of notes though.

More information about a track is always good.  Small price to pay compared to what it costs to drive at COTA.

Jeff

These are a great resource, but they are a supplement not a substitute for experience and actual coaching or instruction.  Of course, it may depend on your learning style.  I have these for VIR, WGI and Mid Ohio.  

On 7/13/2019 at 5:57 PM, Thundermoose said:

These are a great resource, but they are a supplement not a substitute for experience and actual coaching or instruction.  Of course, it may depend on your learning style.  I have these for VIR, WGI and Mid Ohio.  

Mid Ohio you say 

9 hours ago, V6Donut said:

Mid Ohio you say 

This has the chicane, but the rest of the track is the same.  Laps 5 and 7 or 8 are decent.

So I watched the video and I am glad that I did. When I am driving there I do not pick up many of the nuances they cover. Before I did not notice how many of the elevation changes were affecting the handling, I just know how the car feels and did not so much translate that to the causes.

Most of the lines they discuss I was already doing just because that is what worked best for me. the visual references they used were different than mine, but I am in a NC Miata with stock power.

The time they spent on T8 was useful and much appreciated. Last night I carried more speed through that corner than before, largely based on their discussions. They cover a great deal of general tactics during the video and point out where cars go when they miss the apex which I have know too well.

The most sophisticated drivers may say it was not worth it but the the rest of us mere mortals, there is always something to pick up from spending that much time with two coaches.

Since I am from Austin I drive the track 8-10 days a year and know it well, and even better now.

It is a must see for those who are not that familiar with the track and certainly for first timers. 

YMMV.