mt.nichols

Matt's ZL1 1LE

Hi all,

New here but it is safe to say I've been bit by the bug. A little background about me, I previously had a 2012 GTR with full bolt ons and some track goodies. I did about three track days with that car and knew I wanted to track more frequently. Long story short, the car was boring me and I was ready for something new. I test drove a few different options but settled on a used ZL1 1LE.

I bought this car "used" with 300 miles on it in February. Since then, I've done 6 track days and put almost 4k miles on it and what a blast it has been. Mods so far:

• Castrol SRFn (prior to 1st track day)
  • GLoc R12/R10 pads (prior to 6th track day)
  • RotoFab CAI (prior to 3rd track day)
  • Flowmaster catback (prior to 3rd track day)
  • Wrap (prior to second track day)

I'm headed to COTA in October, that'll be my first time there and my 11th track day overall. Before then I plan on doing the Garage Therapy brake duct kit, new fluid, 18 inch wheels, and a set of slicks before then. I'm eating through tires pretty quickly and  plan on testing the slicks as a more economical option.

Best lap times so far:

• TMS infield CW: 37.88
  • MSR Cresson 3.1 CCW: 2:22.90
  • MSR Cresson 1.7 CCW: 1:21.15
    •  

20190316_095526.jpg

20190319_184542.jpg

IMG_20190418_194656_791.jpg

Think it was the Edge 3.1 event earlier I saw you out there.  Does your car have PDR?  I found Harry's to not be consistent compared to my AIM and PDR.  Those are very close if set to the same start point.  When I ran Harry's, it would be dead on and then WAY quick and then WAY slow compared to the AIM and PDR.

When fully used to the car, you'll be sub 2:20 on the 3.1 and sub 1:20 on the 1.7 CCW.  Have fun and see you out at Cresson soon!

You going to the Edge 3.1 on M 6/17?  I will be if able to get off work that day.

Wow, awesome car.  My bloated weapon of choice is a 2013 SS 1LE.   I'll see ya on the track, for a moment anyway as you blow by 😄

5 hours ago, RUQWIKR said:

Think it was the Edge 3.1 event earlier I saw you out there.  Does your car have PDR?  I found Harry's to not be consistent compared to my AIM and PDR.  Those are very close if set to the same start point.  When I ran Harry's, it would be dead on and then WAY quick and then WAY slow compared to the AIM and PDR.

When fully used to the car, you'll be sub 2:20 on the 3.1 and sub 1:20 on the 1.7 CCW.  Have fun and see you out at Cresson soon!

You going to the Edge 3.1 on M 6/17?  I will be if able to get off work that day.

I do have PDR and quickly watched the video from the driver's seat to confirm those lap times. The two videos posted were within a tenth of the PDR, but I have definitely had laps where Harry's was WAY off. I still have a lot to learn with this thing but man, what a blast it is to drive! 

I might make it out for that event but I'm not 100% sure yet. I was thinking about waiting until COTA in October for my next day.

1 hour ago, KevinDB said:

Wow, awesome car.  My bloated weapon of choice is a 2013 SS 1LE.   I'll see ya on the track, for a moment anyway as you blow by 😄

Thanks! It is definitely a blast to drive. The SS 1LE is quite the machine as well!

Just as FYI, wasn't questioning your lap time, just letting you know there will be flyers with Harry's.

My two sons are getting more (and more) seat time in the current 17 SS 1LE.  Thinking about getting the old man a ZL1 1LE like yours, especially for tracks like COTA.

36 minutes ago, RUQWIKR said:

Just as FYI, wasn't questioning your lap time, just letting you know there will be flyers with Harry's.

My two sons are getting more (and more) seat time in the current 17 SS 1LE.  Thinking about getting the old man a ZL1 1LE like yours, especially for tracks like COTA.

Oh yeah, I definitely didn't take it that way! Harry's is what it is.. a cheap (sometimes reliable) lap timer, definitely needs to be double checked at times :) 

Now seems like a great time to scoop up a ZL1 1LE. I've seen quite a few of them in the mid 50s with reasonably low miles. 

Nice car! And those are some fast laps dude. Freaking awesome. You need a good data logger and video set up. Phone ain't gonna cut it! Need some good reference videos with data overlay 🙂

13 minutes ago, BigMonkey73 said:

Nice car! And those are some fast laps dude. Freaking awesome. You need a good data logger and video set up. Phone ain't gonna cut it! Need some good reference videos with data overlay 🙂

Thank you! I was thinking about picking up a cheap used AIM Solo or Solo2 but I don't know if that'd do anything that the stock PDR doesn't. Thoughts?

Ahh, didn't realize you had the PDR. For video, not really. For data analysis, not sure if PDR can export for external analysis? AIM DL would certainly help there. I'm not advanced enough for analysis anyway, I just like the data overlay 🙂

I watch this guy's videos (Turn In Track Out) he is a very fast driver and recently picked up a ZL1 1LE. I think most of his videos are from the PDR.  The data overlay is cool - my only negative feedback is that the video quality isn't the best (compared to the latest GoPros and such), but that's not the end of the world.  

35 minutes ago, BigMonkey73 said:

Ahh, didn't realize you had the PDR. For video, not really. For data analysis, not sure if PDR can export for external analysis? AIM DL would certainly help there. I'm not advanced enough for analysis anyway, I just like the data overlay 🙂

yep, you use the cosworth toolbox to import PDR data.      its pretty damn powerful. 

2 hours ago, BigMonkey73 said:

Cosworth toolbox is what I'm currently using. I do see a lot of people running an AIM in cars equipped with PDR, though. That's why I was curious.

1 hour ago, KevinDB said:

I watch this guy's videos (Turn In Track Out) he is a very fast driver and recently picked up a ZL1 1LE. I think most of his videos are from the PDR.  The data overlay is cool - my only negative feedback is that the video quality isn't the best (compared to the latest GoPros and such), but that's not the end of the world.  

I've seen a few of his videos, great stuff! I do agree the PDR video quality leaves a lot to be desired. I have a couple other cameras that I usually run in conjunction to the PDR, I need to stop being lazy and incorporate other angles into my uploads lol. 

1 hour ago, lobster said:

yep, you use the cosworth toolbox to import PDR data.      its pretty damn powerful. 

This is what I'm currently doing, I was surprised Cosworth Toolbox is free!

1 hour ago, lobster said:

...and the PI Toolbox by Cosworth is even pretty DAMN more powerful...  way more stuff to analyze, understand, or get confused on than what's in the regular Cosworth Toolbox.  The free version of the PI is plenty for us data mortals.

https://www.cosworth.com/products/toolbox/

This guy is Poor-sha on Corvette Forum.  He has a lot of great videos about using PI, etc. on his YouTube channel including of events / accidents on track (even his own 19 ZR1 boo boo).  Good analysis and how-to's.  An example of working with PI...

6 minutes ago, RUQWIKR said:

...and the PI Toolbox by Cosworth is even pretty DAMN more powerful...  way more stuff to analyze, understand, or get confused on than what's in the regular Cosworth Toolbox.  The free version of the PI is plenty for us data mortals.

This guy is Poor-sha on Corvette Forum.  He has a lot of great videos about using PI, etc. on his YouTube channel including of events / accidents on track (even his own 19 ZR1 boo boo).  Good analysis and how-to's.  An example of working with PI...

yup... makes me wish i had a PDR in my car.   In 2015 "navigation" was a required option to get the PDR and I didn't realize it.  

meh.. its okay OBDII spits out all sorts of shit to AiM. 

The Aim Solo2 DL a buddy is using in one w/o PDR seems very nice, but, like my Solo2 (non-DL), he has fought with a lot of firmware updates to get to work.  Plus, his vehicle's electronic control systems (PTM, eLSD, etc.) have gone into limp mode a few times that seem to be related to having it plugged into his ALDL port.  He unplugs it, restarts vehicle, and all is good...for a while.

<- using solo2 DL despite having PDR in C7 vette

18 hours ago, RUQWIKR said:

Well, I know what I'm doing after work today... and now I see no reason to go out and buy another datalogger. Thank you sir!

On 6/5/2019 at 8:38 AM, mt.nichols said:

Thank you! I was thinking about picking up a cheap used AIM Solo or Solo2 but I don't know if that'd do anything that the stock PDR doesn't. Thoughts?

Are you using a 10 Hz GPS antenna with Harry's or just the internal GPS? 10Hz antenna makes ALL the difference. Garmin GLO (&GLO2), or Qstars (https://www.amazon.com/Qstarz-BT-Q818XT-Channel-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B003YCZINA/ref=sr_1_1?crid=FLPNBEND388U&keywords=qstarz+gps&qid=1559845782&s=gateway&sprefix=qstars%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-1) are cheap and work. I use a GLO2 with RaceChrono and it does a good job.

Obviously AIM will be better, but for fairly little investment, this works.

I tried an external GPS antenna with Harry's just because I had an extra old iPhone.  It helped a lot, but, I would still get flyers.  MY AIM Solo 2 (non-DL) and my factory PDR are very close if set to the same Start / Finish point of course.  That makes it hard to get perfect 1-to-1.  I also have had my AIM at times just stop working in the middle of a session.

Phone vs external GPS do give similar lap times, but the refresh rate is what helps with data analysis. The phone just doesn't give enough data points to be as helpful. Pure lap times though, phone is good enough

11 hours ago, BigMonkey73 said:

Phone vs external GPS do give similar lap times, but the refresh rate is what helps with data analysis. The phone just doesn't give enough data points to be as helpful. Pure lap times though, phone is good enough

I would not say the last statement is always true based on what I've seen.  A buddy with his phone only Harry's says his best time on the 3.1 is 3 seconds quicker than mine.  In reality, I am 5+ seconds quicker than him.  He's now met his goal of being an instructor - very good and smooth, however, hope he does not talk about the accuracy of his data logger nor his lap times.

Hmm, ok well maybe not. Perhaps just my personal set up?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and used Track Addict app. I compared the lap times on a SCCA time trials event @ MSR Cresson in January 2019 and the phone lap times vs transponder were maybe a 10th sec off...thus the assumption. I guess doesn't apply to all phone/app combos?

My understanding is bluetooth on iPhones isn't great. I think the max sample rate you can get is like 5hz, possibly less. I haven't looked it up in a while. If you use an external GPS unit, you want one that pairs with wifi instead because you can get a 10hz sample rate. With iPhones, I believe the built in GPS sample rate is 1hz.

I use a Galaxy S8 with Harry's and generally find it to be consistent with the PDR data. There are occasions where it royally screws up, though.