Sign in to follow this  
stellman

Critique my lap

Did a recent track day and would just like some commentary on my line. Been doing H2R for a long while, but not sure if I've got the right line. Thanks in advance!

ong 

I haven't driven it too much, but I learned on my 2nd time there to hug each turn as close as you can and let the car track all the way out. It was a matter of just bouncing from one side of the track to the other most of the time.

On Turn 1 cut that corner and ride over the strip a bit with your left tires. Stay outside on Turn 2 and then cut in smoothly to hit the apex and track out past turn 3 to the straight. Really hug the inside of T4 and T5 too then track out and get back left. Ride the inside of T6 then stay out on the left for T7 and again really close on the apex to track out and then get back right. T8 is riding the left side right on the concrete and track out to the right on T9 and then get straight as soon as you can to go deep and then hit that apex on T10.

My first time was very similar to yours. After seeing my friend's video and how freaking close he was on every corner, i cut almost 3 seconds off my time. More seat time helped of course..and the different lines didn't feel any faster..but the lap timer showed that it made a big difference.

Here's some more info that may help:

https://www.raceoptimal.com/HarrisHill

Turn 2, apex a little later and forget about turn 3's apex, just apply as much power as the car can handle and let it move out to the left, you'll be there for the straight anyway.

As other's have noted, missing the inside edge of an apex is costing a lot (referring to the rest of the track).  Every foot you're off that inside concrete, means a foot less room to track out.  Really get down there and use the track.  I'm not saying drop a wheel, but touch that concrete when needed.  

I have no right to be advising / critiquing your lap 😄   Thought I'd show ya a 1:30ish lap in a FWD car driven aggressively by a ham fisted intermediate skill driver (me). All I can say is be more aggressive everywhere and use all of the track that you can.  This vid is me waiting for Chris to come around so I have someone to chase, so one pit out lap and one hot lap.  This car had much more time in it than I could find while I had it. 

The car in this vid is a lightly modified 2008 Mazdaspeed3 (Cobb tune + FMIC (dyno'd at 255whp), BC Racing coilovers, NT01R 255s, carbotech pads), weight was somewhere around 3400lb with driver.  At this pace with my overly aggressive ways my brakes would overheat in 2.5 hard laps.  Before the NT01R I ran smaller 235 Dunlop starspecs and my best times were 1.32, with easy laps in the 1.33 and 1.34, the wider NT01r netted just over 2s to my PB.

If I ever get my car back I'll get some new laps/vids in the Camaro. The track surface is a little different now than it was in 2010

Thanks for the feedback y'all. It's appreciated. The Race Optimal site was really useful and look forward to checking that out more.

Hope to get back out there soon and try again.... and again... and again 🙂