Jump to content
turbogrill

NC miata in chump/wrl

Recommended Posts

Hi

What do you think about NC miatas in chump? 

They are 400pts so you could do:

40 pts gc coil overs (non adjust)

20 pts sway

25 pts header

At Harris Hill it would have to do 1.28-1.29 to be competitive. Not sure about COTA, maybe 2.45? (Fastest chump was a frsnkenstein civic doing 2.42)

This would be on RS4 or similar 200tw tire. (Dont think the re71 would last a race)

And a good driver.

Share this post


Link to post

You think you can get 1:28 in a NC on those tires?!  How crap am I as a driver? My fastest in my Ap1 using 255 re71 was 1:29.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, IanIsInGarage said:

You think you can get 1:28 in a NC on those tires?!  How crap am I as a driver? My fastest in my Ap1 using 255 re71 was 1:29.

I am asking 🙂

I am a crap driver, so I probably couldn't. At the last chumpcar race two NA Miatas  managed to get 1.27s. They might have been VVT swapped but not Ecotec swapped. But they could have been on RE71, who knows.

 

Share this post


Link to post

OMG. Well now my goals have changed. Next time I'm back out there I must get into 1:27 on street tires.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah 1.29 is as good as I've done at H2R with 255 NT01R back in 2009 ish, ovearheating brakes in 2 laps to do it my hamfisted gorilla way. 260whp Mazdaspeed3 with cheap coilovers (BC racing).  Haven't had a chance to make a run at it with my Camaro. Should pretty easily beat my PB I expect.

I consider my skill level at an honest solid intermediate, my natural plateau.  Need a lot of untraining and coaching to break through that, ever.

Back then, I remember NC(? not sure, no expert with Miata generations - that was James L. I believe, same time with Exige S on 888's) with I/H/E (170ish whp) and hoosiers and some nice suspension bits in the 1.26, Acura NSX stock power with JRZ and street tires in the 1.26, Acura ITR mostly stock also in the 1.25-1.26 (I think that was Jenson?)  I remember he was running scrub tires on the ITR.

No idea what spec or chump/wr miata should be able to do at H2R.  What do the best driven H2R challenge Miatas run? 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Dennis said:

Can't you swap to a 2.5? Only 60 points.. 

You can, fuel might be an issue but you would manage it.

You don't have any points for anything else so it would be:

  • 400 pts base
  • 60 pts 2.5 Swap
  • 25 pts Header
  • 20 pts oil cooler
  • 0 pts ECU tune
  • 0 pts stiff lowerings springs with Bilstein B6/B8
  • 0 pts better radiator

So 1 penalty lap. I think you have to have the oil cooler, the 2.5 seem to run hot.


Other option is (2.0 NC engine):

  • 400 pts the car
  • 40 pts non adjustable coilovers (GC)
  • 25 pts header
  • 20 pts swaybar
  • 0 pts ECU tune
  • 0 pts better radiator
  • 10 pts Wing or Airdam or Hubs or some extra suspension gadget

For reference a 190hp E46 2.8 (m52tub28) is 500pts. So the BMW would have better PWR, they also seem to handle ok with just lowering springs.

1 hour ago, KevinDB said:

Yeah 1.29 is as good as I've done at H2R with 255 NT01R back in 2009 ish, ovearheating brakes in 2 laps to do it my hamfisted gorilla way. 260whp Mazdaspeed3 with cheap coilovers (BC racing).  Haven't had a chance to make a run at it with my Camaro. Should pretty easily beat my PB I expect.

I consider my skill level at an honest solid intermediate, my natural plateau.  Need a lot of untraining and coaching to break through that, ever.

Back then, I remember NC(? not sure, no expert with Miata generations - that was James L. I believe, same time with Exige S on 888's) with I/H/E (170ish whp) and hoosiers and some nice suspension bits in the 1.26, Acura NSX stock power with JRZ and street tires in the 1.26, Acura ITR mostly stock also in the 1.25-1.26 (I think that was Jenson?)  I remember he was running scrub tires on the ITR.

No idea what spec or chump/wr miata should be able to do at H2R.  What do the best driven H2R challenge Miatas run? 

I think the challenge Miatas do 1.35s. Last chumpcar race 1.27 was the record (NA miata non ecotec)

But remember that some of these chumpcar teams has awesome drivers, way out of their league 🙂

 

I have figured out how to go fast at H2R. Close you eyes and go WOT at turn1, turn6, turn8. At least that is where I am going 10mph slower than everyone else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, turbogrill said:

 

But remember that some of these chumpcar teams has awesome drivers, way out of their league 🙂

 

 

Gale corley / bill agha  or Danny soufi driving if I had to guess 

Share this post


Link to post

It was Danny that did the 1:27 in the Chump race. I had done a 1:29 in my NC 2.0 with 225 RS4's Tein coilovers and exhaust. The conditions were very good. 
I just bought another set of RS4's and I hope to duplicate the 1:29. Putting a 2.5l will give you torque at lower RPMs, I would go that way for a Chump car. I am 2750#, so if it is lighter, that would help tremendously.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, skillman11 said:

It was Danny that did the 1:27 in the Chump race. I had done a 1:29 in my NC 2.0 with 225 RS4's Tein coilovers and exhaust. The conditions were very good. 
I just bought another set of RS4's and I hope to duplicate the 1:29. Putting a 2.5l will give you torque at lower RPMs, I would go that way for a Chump car. I am 2750#, so if it is lighter, that would help tremendously.

 

 

So stock sway? 

Curious how it would handle on only stiffer springs and bilstein "oem".

The spec nc mx-5 seems to be about 2300 ready to race without driver and ballast.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...