Sign in to follow this  
dunhamr1

Race Pads & Street Pads, Separate Rotors?

New to using race pads, I plan on sanding the rotors to get off the street pad material before taking the car to the track and bedding in the race pads. Would it be worth having a separate set of rotors (I haven't graduated to using expensive/crazy rotors so it wouldn't be expensive), rather than re-bedding the pads every time?

If you buy good modern pads (cobalt, carbon lorraine, probably others) you don't need to do this. if you buy Carbotech, G-Loc, etc you do. Seems like a good argument for Cobalt!

41 minutes ago, kfennell said:

If you buy good modern pads (cobalt, carbon lorraine, probably others) you don't need to do this. if you buy Carbotech, G-Loc, etc you do. Seems like a good argument for Cobalt!

well with carbotech/gloc you can run their 1521 street pad which is "compound compatible" with their race pads. 

So you just swap pads when you're ready to go to the track. 

43 minutes ago, lobster said:

well with carbotech/gloc you can run their 1521 street pad which is "compound compatible" with their race pads. 

So you just swap pads when you're ready to go to the track. 

The race pads that I have are G-Loc (R12 front, R10 rear). I just about ordered their street pads but just about fell over when I got the price. No thanks. Almost as expensive as the race pads.

Street pads are just Autozone regular pads on Centric Rotors, and OE Ford pads on the front. Remember I'm running 2016 Focus calipers on the car now.

I saw something about using the race pads to scrape off the material of the other pads, braking hard but keeping the rotor cool (rather than letting it get up to temp when bedding in). Doesn't make sense/ seem safe for race pads and driving on the street.

17 hours ago, dunhamr1 said:

I saw something about using the race pads to scrape off the material of the other pads, braking hard but keeping the rotor cool (rather than letting it get up to temp when bedding in). Doesn't make sense/ seem safe for race pads and driving on the street.

That’s true of Hawks etc but not GLOCs. Just run rotors with the pads, bolt on and go. 

The gloc r12/10 on my Camaro work fine on the street.  Better than OEM, even when cold.

Can be a little squeaky, a little dusty, and if you're driving a lot of street miles - kind of a waste of a good pad.  I don't care about those things, and am not driving the Camaro much on the street.

Oh dear, I disregarded the meat of your question.  My preference is to keep pads with their rotors for the duration but I used to switch pads between street and race Carbotechs on my Mazda for a while.  Didn't bother sanding or anything. Just a quick rebedding process is all I would do.

However I found my rotors would wear almost as quickly as my track pads, so it was more economical in the long run to keep separate rotors and pads, as I drove a lot of street miles on the Mazda as well as track miles.

20 hours ago, KevinDB said:

The gloc r12/10 on my Camaro work fine on the street.  Better than OEM, even when cold.

Can be a little squeaky, a little dusty, and if you're driving a lot of street miles - kind of a waste of a good pad.  I don't care about those things, and am not driving the Camaro much on the street.

19 hours ago, KevinDB said:

Oh dear, I disregarded the meat of your question.  My preference is to keep pads with their rotors for the duration but I used to switch pads between street and race Carbotechs on my Mazda for a while.  Didn't bother sanding or anything. Just a quick rebedding process is all I would do.

However I found my rotors would wear almost as quickly as my track pads, so it was more economical in the long run to keep separate rotors and pads, as I drove a lot of street miles on the Mazda as well as track miles.

Thanks for the feedback. I think this first go round I'll sand the rotors and bed them on the track. I'll leave the track pads in and see how it goes on the street, it rarely sees street driving (mostly to/from track or autocross). If it's too squeaky/ too cold for the material, I'll get another set of rotors and swap both next time.