Jump to content
Hollywood

2020 Toyota GR Supra

Recommended Posts

I'm not in financial boat (nor will I ever buy a brand new car); but my opinion is I think it's a winner for others. If I were buying a two seater though; screw Automatic. If this was a 2+2 setup then maybe because I could justify the extra uses I could get out of it. This engine has been proven on BMW for easy big HP; I bet it'll be less than a year after release we see 400-500hp pretty easily.

Share this post


Link to post

From zero to messerschmitt ... ugh I dunno man.  Something doesn't quite feel right about it, but I suppose at the end of the day I care more about the overall performance capability.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/14/2019 at 7:03 AM, HDA said:

I like it. The looks I mean.

I do not desire it but I also don’t think they built it for a late 30s family guy.

50k is quite some money and today for that number, beside used German beetle junk, there are used options like the M2, 718, M4, C7 GS (I could have stopped here).

 

the success of this car will depend by:

  • how much can it be modded by jdm fanboys 
  • how conservative where the hp figures
  • how much ass it kicks on track.

 

I hate to be right all the times so annoying!!!

It's less a question of whether or not the Supra's 335-hp inline-six is underrated, and more about how much. 

Share this post


Link to post

The Supra sold its soul to BMW. 

It looks like another Predator from Toyota/Lexus. 

It yearns for a PDK tranny. 

There. I said it. 

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:06 PM, HDA said:

I also find amusing how both Toyota and BMW talk about "fine tuning differences" that somehow make the cars "feel different" thanks to some supposed and not disclosed "chassis tuning".

Most of the times it comes down to one having a thicker anti roll bar than the other. THey look very different at least, which is good enough.

Here's an article that discusses the Supra vs Z4 suspension given Toyota's claim that it was developed in isolation. Basically HDA is right (again)...its a bit of a stretch for Toyota to be making that claim. The Supra is essentially a Z4 3.0 with a few pieces from the Z4 M4.0, with the only real differences being the front lower control arm to achieve slightly more aggressive alignment, adaptive damper tuning **SPECULATION ALERT** and steering rack programming **SPECULATION ALERT**

So its still very much a Z4 in mind and spirit.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/05/16/2020-toyota-supra-suspension-share-bmw-z4?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Daily_News_Monday_May_20

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Sadly, in modern cars "fine tuning differences" are going to be 98% electronic.  Throttle mapping, ECU tables, TC and ESC logic, forced decel pops and bangs (getting real old, BMW. At least have them vary in quantity or something), etc.  Pretty much different routes to get to the same destination, and therefore have a different feel along the way. 

Share this post


Link to post

I follow Sam Smith on the insta and seeing his annotations on this car for the PCOTY test for Road & Track has not been good. Even J.R. Hildebrand said something like “makes you work hard but the reward isn’t there,” mute steering, etc.

 

Will be interesting to read the full scoop in R&T a month or two from now. 

Share this post


Link to post

It comes in red.  Check

It is a Toyota sports car. Check

It has good power and handling. Check

It has a manual transmission. Oops   Sorry it does not check all the boxes for me. 

 

Perhaps Robert will Buy one and sell me his nsx. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

ouch.
I can't imagine how they can't weld and repaint the thing though..  the location can't be that big. 
then again, I'd rather get a new chassis than one that's been worked over and repainted because of someone else's mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Hollywood said:

MO POWAH BABEH! 

Still hate those "vents" tho.   

I drove one at MSRH a few weeks ago on the test day and it was a fun car, fast as hell in a straight line but the automatic did exactly what an automatic does.   Shift really fast when you're accelerating and being in the wrong gear coming out of the corner if its fully automatic and waiting for it to shift down because it didn't shift down far enough in the first place.  

In  manual mode it'll ignore the shift command for a spell then shift but hurr hurr it shifts so fast.   Yah it could shift faster than light but we're just going to ignore the whole telling it to shift thing to the time it initiates the shift feels like an eternity. 

I'll never determine why people defend the choice of an automatic in a sports car.   I'm not saying the manual is the solve all but a DCT would of been the better option here.  

 

In SPITE of all this, I really enjoy the car, I think it looks good, it has power and its comfortable and it's an all around solid car.   I personally wouldn't buy one but I wouldn't fault anyone for picking one up now that I have first hand experience with one.      If I could get the exact same drivetrain in a fake ventless sedan I would be all over that. 

Regrettably the conversation is always going to come back to the automatic transmission and the fake vents in any discussion.   I really hope manufacturers stop doing this nonsense.  

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, lobster said:

In SPITE of all this, I really enjoy the car, I think it looks good, it has power and its comfortable and it's an all around solid car.   I personally wouldn't buy one but I wouldn't fault anyone for picking one up now that I have first hand experience with one.      If I could get the exact same drivetrain in a fake ventless sedan I would be all over that. 

Regrettably the conversation is always going to come back to the automatic transmission and the fake vents in any discussion.   I really hope manufacturers stop doing this nonsense.  

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3-series/sedan/performance-m340i.html

Share this post


Link to post

I drove one on a track.

white launch edition.

it felt very numb but since most of my cars are old it may be that all new cars are like this? The steering was numb, the power was very BMWish. Most of all I could tell that this engine was not made to WOW. The interior felt very cheap for all the franklins they are asking.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, lobster said:

MO POWAH BABEH! 

Still hate those "vents" tho.   

I drove one at MSRH a few weeks ago on the test day and it was a fun car, fast as hell in a straight line but the automatic did exactly what an automatic does.   Shift really fast when you're accelerating and being in the wrong gear coming out of the corner if its fully automatic and waiting for it to shift down because it didn't shift down far enough in the first place.  

In  manual mode it'll ignore the shift command for a spell then shift but hurr hurr it shifts so fast.   Yah it could shift faster than light but we're just going to ignore the whole telling it to shift thing to the time it initiates the shift feels like an eternity. 

I'll never determine why people defend the choice of an automatic in a sports car.   I'm not saying the manual is the solve all but a DCT would of been the better option here.  

 

In SPITE of all this, I really enjoy the car, I think it looks good, it has power and its comfortable and it's an all around solid car.   I personally wouldn't buy one but I wouldn't fault anyone for picking one up now that I have first hand experience with one.      If I could get the exact same drivetrain in a fake ventless sedan I would be all over that. 

Regrettably the conversation is always going to come back to the automatic transmission and the fake vents in any discussion.   I really hope manufacturers stop doing this nonsense.  

You actually, for once, wrote several cogent paragraphs...in a row! LOL Without insulting anyone! You feeling ok????

Butt seriously - nice review - and you make the correct point of an auto in a sports car...it's great if you're going to just drag race all day long...or maybe do a horrible commute and you have no driver skill...butt what do I know? LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, lobster said:

*for the money it would have to be a real M car.   I would be an idiot to get a M340i instead of a spending a little more for an M3 imo or maybe even an M2 it may not be a four door but it's low on fake vents.  

 

Technically M2 is a different engine but it does come in stick!

Share this post


Link to post

 

14 hours ago, lobster said:

*for the money it would have to be a real M car.   I would be an idiot to get a M340i instead of a spending a little more for an M3 imo or maybe even an M2 it may not be a four door but it's low on fake vents.  

 

 

Having driven an M240i and M2 on track back to back, I can't say that the new breed of M cars are the same as the old ones.  You still get a basic, turbo 6 that is numb and just makes torque everywhere.  Same as the M235i, and every other M badged car.  

BMW needs to get back to the roots of proper M motors that excite you.  I'm so sick of just blah flat torque curves on sports cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, tyhackman15 said:

 

 

Having driven an M240i and M2 on track back to back, I can't say that the new breed of M cars are the same as the old ones.  You still get a basic, turbo 6 that is numb and just makes torque everywhere.  Same as the M235i, and every other M badged car.  

BMW needs to get back to the roots of proper M motors that excite you.  I'm so sick of just blah flat torque curves on sports cars. 

So you are saying NA engines?

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/14/2020 at 2:33 PM, HDA said:

So you are saying NA engines?

Or even a turbo motor that makes power up top vs at 1500rpms.  But yeah, NA would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...