BigMonkey73

TDE @ Cresson on 1.7 CW June 8th and 9th

Summertime is here folks! Who's signed up?

I wonder if the paddock updates will be done by then? Dunno, just want a freaking DRY track day event =]

This will be my first track event in 7 months, so I really hope that it doesn’t rain.

Likewise man. Given the way this year has gone though, I'm now probably going to invest this year (maybe) in a wheel and tire set up just for rain. But I have other things I want to do to the car still to help me when it counts in the dry.

17 minutes ago, Max said:

In- Woot!!

Good to see you on a trip down this way.  Leave the car at MSRC and come play on 3.1 M 6/17 with Edge, too.  I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get off work.  Have in-laws in this weekend, so, I can't do the TDE...wanted to since it is CW.

19 minutes ago, RUQWIKR said:

Good to see you on a trip down this way.  Leave the car at MSRC and come play on 3.1 M 6/17 with Edge, too.  I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get off work.  Have in-laws in this weekend, so, I can't do the TDE...wanted to since it is CW.

Too bad about this weekend- It would have been great to share track time with you again.  I have a couple golf outings that conflict with the Edge adventure- Otherwise- that would be an excellent plan!

On 5/21/2019 at 8:25 AM, SpaceRangerJoe said:

get the coolshirt working

Got this sorted out the other night, and the truck/trailer has been reserved. I need to get tools and other stuff put together, but I'm just about ready to go. I do need to try to finish cleaning the old orange plastidip off the roof. Half my roof is still that faded orange. I clearly haven't been focused on aesthetics with this car, but this is a little silly.

Fun weekend guys! Got to meet some fellow junkies..and set a new PB in this direction. I need to learn how to analyze data with AIM. I set my PB in the very first session and wasn't able to reproduce it..but by day 2 I was pretty consistent 1:26 when I had clean laps. Car has more in it for sure. Will be uploading some videos today.

Good chatting with you guys!

Besides bring warm, it was a great weekend. Took nearly 2 seconds off my time for the same config from the last event. I'm getting more comfortable with the slip angle in these tires too. After 3 days, I still have a fair amount of tread left which is nice. NT01s would be nearly dead by this point. I saw my car in someone else's video and it looked like I had no brake lights. They definitely used to work, so gonna have to check on that. Maybe they just weren't bright enough to see. The temp dropped like 15 degrees during the 3rd session Sunday, then the rain started. My car leaks like crazy in the rain, so I just loaded up real quick and got home. Knowing my luck the last session would have been perfectly fine, but I was getting pretty tired and could feel myself getting slower. I had a very slow off in wagon wheel after a bit too much brake that I should have been able to save. so I didn't feel too bad about ending it after that.

It was good to meet a few of you out there ( @BigMonkey73 @Max ).

@Dave stopped by Sunday morning and rode with me first session. We didn't get into the 1:24's, but had some low 1:25's. I need to check the video and count how many times he told me to get back on the power sooner (it was a lot).

So - for those that have driven the 1.7 both ways - which do you prefer? I prefer CW, have only driven it a few times CW but I think it is a lot of fun!

CCW for me. CW I don't like the elevation decrease out of tombstone before buzzard's neck and after ricochet going into wagon wheel. Have mental block that makes me brake too much so that I won't go off

I like CW better. I think it's the more difficult config, and it is a bit slower which helps me with my relatively low power. I've spent a lot more time on the CW config compared to CCW though. Most of my CCW time has been running the full 3.1 mile track. Consequently, I'm not very good at wagon wheel CCW since I usually drive right by it.

13 minutes ago, BigMonkey73 said:

CCW for me. CW I don't like the elevation decrease out of tombstone before buzzard's neck and after ricochet going into wagon wheel. Have mental block that makes me brake too much so that I won't go off

Alright - there's your next target / goal....work on that progressively....just a few more feet each time....until you nail it PERFECT!!

1 hour ago, SpaceRangerJoe said:

@Dave stopped by Sunday morning and rode with me first session. We didn't get into the 1:24's, but had some low 1:25's. I need to check the video and count how many times he told me to get back on the power sooner (it was a lot).

You were doing great. It felt like you were holding maintenance throttle a little longer than I thought was necessary. It felt like you were thinking you would run out of track on exit, and from my side of the car, it looked fine. 

Like others have said, it was hot but a lot of fun.  It was great meeting and hanging out a bit with @BigMonkey73.  I didn't set any PB but worked on some basics and improved in some areas.  I prefer the 1.7 ccw but that's because I have more experience with that direction, so it was good getting more time going CW.  

The crazy part was the drive home (to Lago Vista NW of Austin).  I left at the third session on Sunday trying to beat the storm but no dice.  Got slammed from just south of Granbury to Lampasas (100 miles).  I always tell folks going to their first track day, the most dangerous thing you will do on that day is drive to and from the track.  Sure was the case yesterday.

30 minutes ago, jazztrip said:

Like others have said, it was hot but a lot of fun.  It was great meeting and hanging out a bit with @BigMonkey73.  I didn't set any PB but worked on some basics and improved in some areas.  I prefer the 1.7 ccw but that's because I have more experience with that direction, so it was good getting more time going CW.  

The crazy part was the drive home (to Lago Vista NW of Austin).  I left at the third session on Sunday trying to beat the storm but no dice.  Got slammed from just south of Granbury to Lampasas (100 miles).  I always tell folks going to their first track day, the most dangerous thing you will do on that day is drive to and from the track.  Sure was the case yesterday.

Bad_weather.mov

Your bad weather video looked like me recently.  Should not have stopped at Del Norte's Tacos (awesome place to eat).  Ended up catching a monsoon rain and high winds about 20-miles from home on the tires I lapped on like you, too...

Great track weekend- Lots of fun conversations and track sharing fun!  I look forward to next time friends!  My nephew had a blast  enjoying the track weekend experience with a great group of folks.

2 hours ago, jazztrip said:

Bad_weather.mov

That sucks, Joe! Glad you and the car made it home OK. Time for that truck and trailer you were talking about 🙂 

A few pics strung together of the trip.  Filled up at Cane's mid-trip and failed to fill truck- LOL.  We made it to a pump before she went empty-hahaha.   Car show at the hotel was added bonus along with Grump burgers Friday night followed up with pool fun.