Talley

Inspection w/o abs?

I'm curious if for the HDPE my car would pass inspection since the ABS system has been removed from the car.  My uncle removed it when he went with the big brake kits front/rear because it was causing alot of issues with the tracking of the car.  It's basically a hydroboost assisted manual brake setup now.

I'll more than likely be starting with TDE and will be the considered a novice.  I've reviewed the inspection form but it didn't mention anything about the actual ABS.  It does mention inspection though to be attached?  If the car is a track only car how can I get it inspected?  Or does it mean just that form.

Also the fuel cap light is on but only because of the fuel system being converted to fuel cell type from fuel safe.

You can self-tech the car and sign the form yourself. Theres no on site inspector with TDE that goes over the car. 

That is in NO WAY an endorsement of "pencil whipping" the form - you and your instructor will both be depending on the brakes (and everything else you should go over ) for your survival. If you're signing it, you trust the brakes (in close concert with your good judgement and self preservation insticnts;) to keep you and a stranger alive to the best of your collective abilities. 

But from a "will they pitch a fit if the ABS light is on" standpoint - no. My car is throwing seatbelts lights, airbag lights, the CEL, and traction control lights. No one has ever said a word 😉

It would also be a good idea to feel the brakes out in a "controlled environment" somewhere. Unless you're familiar with braking aggressively without ABS, you should practice some before you get to the first corner after a long straight.

Ok thanks for the input.  Yes I do trust the brakes.  I've had a ford mechanic check everything out and aside from the abs system being disabled/partially removed he says to watch out that these brakes will overpower any tire you can put on the car.  Stoptech 332mm front and wilwood 12.7" rear setup on the mustang.  

So really the best thing is to improve the driver (me).  

I read about the exhaust and I do have my collector flanges needing replaced so I ordered a new set of those to get everything buttoned up perfectly.

1 minute ago, Talley said:

watch out that these brakes will overpower any tire you can put on the car.  Stoptech 332mm front and wilwood 12.7" rear setup on the mustang...

This^^^. I edited my reply to address this. Theres no ABS safety net, so knowing where that lockup threshold lives / feels like is going to be necessary. 

3 minutes ago, joesurf79 said:

This^^^. I edited my reply to address this. Theres no ABS safety net, so knowing where that lockup threshold lives / feels like is going to be necessary. 

absolutely correct.  This is what is going to keep me going to my first event anytime soon.  I need to get to know my car and also practice braking over and over and over and over again.  He was very aggressive of a driver and grew up on manual brakes so he knew what he was doing.  Time for me to learn.  I absolutely do not want to go out and put me or anyone else at risk.

So yes there is a pretty steep learning curve for me to get over before I even attempt my first event.  This is why I'm shooting for more toward end of year before I even think about going.  

Grab a load of scrub tires, open space, and have fun smoking some tires.-  Shouldn't take too long to figure it out..;0

edit: We will need video of the education sessions to help critique and provide positive constructive feedback.  Any spectacular smoke shows will be appreciated by the viewing audience.

20 minutes ago, Talley said:

absolutely correct.  This is what is going to keep me going to my first event anytime soon.  I need to get to know my car and also practice braking over and over and over and over again.  He was very aggressive of a driver and grew up on manual brakes so he knew what he was doing.  Time for me to learn.  I absolutely do not want to go out and put me or anyone else at risk.

So yes there is a pretty steep learning curve for me to get over before I even attempt my first event.  This is why I'm shooting for more toward end of year before I even think about going.  

Dont put it off, just go. Don’t over-drive. You’re on streets so you won’t have to worry about flat spotting. Just go have fun.

Just now, Hollywood said:

Dont put it off, just go. Don’t over-drive. You’re on streets so you won’t have to worry about flat spotting. Just go have fun.

This!!! Don't think too much on it. You'll be fine. I'm pretty sure you're not roasting your tires every time you come to a stop today, so you're obviously capable of stopping the car well enough to get on track. Not every corner needs at-the-limit braking, and a new student isn't likely to be be doing that anyhow.

@Hollywood and @robertcope make good points. I didnt mean to spook you from not going on track as soon as you can!  But it is good to be familiar with what happens / what it feels like when they lock up before you get out there. You seem to be approaching this from a reasonable perspective with respect for the situation - that matters most. So send it already 😉

Thanks guys.  The car is ready to go outside of a power steering pump leak that needs to be fixed prior.  It's not an active leak but it is producing a residue along the connection points on the pump.  I think just needs to be disconnected cleaned and thread sealant and a reconnect.  

Also just need some new tires too.  I'm picking up all the stock parts from my uncle and he also has 3 other sets of wheels to go with the car so I'm waiting to see which wheel would be the best to use for the track.  The car currently sits on falken 19" on stock tire size.  I could just use those for the street tire for now.

I'll be in Indiana getting these parts while the June event at MSR is going on so I'll miss that.  Perhaps into July I could.  That'll give me enough time to settle into the car.

I also do not want to drive the car to the track so I need to figure out a trailer situation.