Sign in to follow this  
joesurf79

Transponder Questions

Hello Gang - I have a transponder coming, and the installation instructions say don't mount it above metal or CF components (RF shielding I suppose). I read through the TT4/ST4 rules and it doesn't specify a mandatory location. So where are people putting these things? Wheel well seems dicey - things moving, getting hot, tire slag getting in places. Front of the Facia seems accessible, but then again exposed to track debris, tire slag, etc. It would also be above a plywood splitter - hope fully less shielding effect?

I'm sure the questions seems silly to those in the know, but where are you guys putting these things on the car? How durable are these things ? It's a new model Mylaps X2 (with the stupid subscription), and I was thinking about putting it in one of these two places:  

transponder.thumb.jpg.645b0e3b8cfd0492989086978c270fb6.jpg

As far as durability and survivability...zoom in on the second pic. It still works and it was mounted on one of the front two hooks.

C2890173-3DA2-4AA7-A2F7-7C1DF3834A62.jpeg

6DAB0B38-9D7D-491C-BB02-7691CC96CE50.jpeg

Yeessshhhh...what did that poor miata ever do to deserve that? :) Also - duly noted on the durability of the little unit!

I've seen them attached out back to tow hooks or random under car parts under the trunk area. You could probably make yourself a customer bracket back there. Remember it doesn't have to be on the front of the car. it just has to register the timing line in the track.

Just now, Arro said:

I've seen them attached out back to tow hooks or random under car parts under the trunk area. You could probably make yourself a customer bracket back there. Remember it doesn't have to be on the front of the car. it just has to register the timing line in the track.

Okay, good point. As long as it's close enough to the track to register. More clear view of the ground in the back of the car.

On all my cars, it's been mounted in the wheel well.  But I use the old school hard wired non-subscription ones.  Install it and fuhgettaboutit!

On the Nissan, I made a small aluminum debris shield and riveted it in place between the tire and transponder so it will deflect any crap headed its way.

On the RX7, the transponder is exposed in the wheel well, and the surface is sandblasted from years of debris.  still works, no issues.

Since the new ones have to be removed to pay the tolls, (and charge battery?)  you might want to mount it in a place more accessible.  I'm so glad I don't have to worry about that part since I'd always forget the damn thing until it was time to leave and no time to charge it!!

Matt, have you priced the used non-subscription transponders?  It might be one of the more valuable things on your race car.   

On our old 240sx, it was mounted inside the front frame rail. But there was plenty of room in that car.  On the BMW, it's just in front of the wheel well on a bracket.  We drilled a hole in the splitter underneath to make sure it can see the track.

On my circle track car, I punched out one of the drain holes in the passenger floor board and made a bracket to mount it there.  The rule in that series is that it has to be at least 24" behind the right front ball joint, inside the frame rails.  No, I don't know why it matters.

Tobey, 

yeah I'm aware of the price..  I need to buy another kart one for the kid since I'll have another racer come july.  last time I looked, they were $400+ for one in good condition. hardwired ones are pushing $500.. insane.

The point of positioning is that they use transponder as 'who got there first', not necessarily whos bumper crossed the finish line first.   put it on the right front corner of a oval track car, and it's the first thing that crosses the finish line.  moving it farther behind the ball joint and inside the frame rail reduces the incentive to fly across the line sideways.

41 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

...they were $400+ for one in good condition. hardwired ones are pushing $500.. insane.

Yep...a used hard wire version was around $500. So I got a new hard wired one with a 1 year subscription from pegasus for $233.