Sign in to follow this  
Talley

Seat belt requirements (age?)

Is there any restriction on the age of your seat belts.  I have 5 point simpson harnesses on my car and they were made 3/2004.  I didn't know if these would pass as if there is any age restrictions.

Sorry, new to the sport trying to get acquainted.

20190505_161902000_iOS.jpg

Depends.

Most DE orgs have generic "in good condition" or similar language.

Some DE (eg PCA) require aftermarket harnesses to be within 5 yrs of mfg date. The obvious inconsistency is that OEM belts don't have similar expiration date. If you are going up the TT/race scale the 5 yr limit is enforced.

More clarity required...  is this for HPDE, TT, sanctioned racing?

For sanctioned racing, each group has their own rules clearly spelled out in the rulebook, but *typically* the expiration date is as follows:
SFI cert:  expiration is 2 or 3 yrs from manufacture date tagged on belt
OR
FIA cert:  end of 5th year after manufacture date (which is also tagged as FIA expiration date).  i.e. if the belt is made jan 10, 2000, then the belt would expire Dec 31, 2005.

some clubs vary slightly from that, but that's the jist of it.  There is currently a huge battle with SFI trying to make people replace belts MORE often by putting an expiration date on belts only 2yrs after manufacture.  SFI's position is that sanctioning body requires SFI cert for the belt to be allowed.  SFI changed their tags so they show "certification expires [2ys after manufacture date] instead of previously only showing a manufacture date and allowing sanctioning bodies to determine their own expiration.  As most sanctioning bodies allowed SFI belts for 3 years, this has resulted in a net reduction of use by another year.   Also note, this change by SFI was done IMMEDIATELY after the SCCA made a rule change that said something like "SFI and FIA belts are good for 5 yrs from manufacture, or until cert expires, whichever is earlier"..   

If you haven't figured out, SFI really isn't in the business or promoting racing safety.  SFI is in the business of selling expensive little tags that state "manufacturer certifies this device to be built and tested within accordance to SFI standard XX.XX".    and if SFI can force manufactures and users to buy more tags, then they make more money.  bad juju, IMO.  so I personally avoid buying stuff with SFI certs if I can find an alternate with an allowed FIA cert.

I'm just looking to go out and have some fun.  Nothing sanctioned at all.  Just clubs/events so I believe that would be mostly HPDE.

Seems like I'm on 15yr old harnesses so replacing them will be eminent. 

If they have no tears and look in decent shape you should be ok for a DE or track day. This is just my opinion