Shuka

Backyard workshop progress

But wait, there's more! We're already super fed up with the mud bog between the shop and existing driveway, and existing concrete was in really bad shape to start with, made worse by heavy construction activities. Final phase of major construction work: driveway upgrade.

Since the work goes outside our property into the county right of way, we had to apply for a permit. The approval took about a week and a half. I used a PDF editor and a copy of our original survey to put together the drawings:

image.thumb.png.26932844fc3e03c7c90e77bc8afb2e22.png

We definitely need to have a shopwarming BBQ party when this is all done!

That floor looks great! As in - yeah, you could put some furniture in there and it would fit right in!

image.thumb.png.d2dda2496659f76ebb6aef188e42f063.png

Definitely an improvement...

yePcaI2iCh5PVbRP1h7ur25zRmGmAmpdljG3cKJvubwFi5MuKA6gYSEiBNeMWPSlHId-Umwo1JPRZueG_JhWdM1gCeysy4HlJPCYCDao3ZQ5AmHlGFH3VRmhPUKBcliPZo653R_3z9wImlbjf4bnDICb_XYWsTeSd9x8UGbgzPsFbF9LH3EmumvuTURJ8I7Qhbf7XjE7ZSGO8sIpjSTqucT62uGySBe2EMnwkY0ULZrGBuV3bJfPFbOK7vZEy7cppHnOcYQiCMjJ7EfF2oRNzNuCGDIZcyQubgLxT2EzQFu5BN4n00wbo2xk-A4Stibd5OPKIkwsc6BPr-XUhvKYMWSgDz6MTsotF4r5nrVBTtFirrPcIy7u0uTJS95tNCGoTCr1HVzlSwcCMoEw2aVdGMvRjptZAtPnTIv7drIQoDRlZnKkOv9VjfQUr7ClrLG4wTwxY9W9_BhoEcL52zBsokMsLAdWhSe6dWEJvewSfsMqNE0QBtHsPm5TIOLLmh2appt5bfUjQqAnr03bmJHgCAabSoPOsZdUoFe0nrho2zT2MeJmQaCauwrWnOwts8qGVfhoo0LrmMheaoAWAIBkTUeMtMtts_CQCxtBPkcC3P2amG6sNM-T8pp59fLzycVZmhLuIE0rT1t_FHI12EaCzMDCo9x0tYDUHX04OphD7y_aIP1W88GBC2c=w1292-h970-no

We are so sick of mud!

UAmzYlrhXjgu63cs29QCUKBregLd6HPFar-URTu4AQmgETREOC73CXALVXwf8Ar6IUuKEK4MU3wAYek7fjHcKjlhZi_BsXAqNyyUU7CKEcuzj_s4FLA87PEIeWGkKXAI10M5MbaG0lxWRzGoEhofxjN80ls2Rab5PeBV6Xl_qcBaAnRkjtnbccadGn0h70S-snovDNExOutrkD7AXNenOPNjfWXT6APr95NuAmduE198G3eP9dwWz6fN2LZdwIGqS89rrk603Kkqoz7VocrWowQVuWqEwwYRLXtMmeKbGlrFbnMD1gRv1nOL3JbedTRR0jAGWdgE55sRJ2_NAxmq6Ah47YbFHN70hQWNwznQWOpAYnL70PqhGd2Yzj3dvVUzey8qTMoMRKltO7X8TvG5yTYlwPpL-4ai7syDP6CLKvg31hA_IYZyHMc7HqKDs8gCqoKQhJJU3WfwTZjupB088d3WsTOI_flN49kNQil3pzLpJLFX0EXvK3F3peKefJ8UNkHZZzIKVE0HZBmNEcNbHyHvhf7HTv-8etKuMPaqqc22wmCRU5dO8Ezvezu-hSCD-iMloxFFBLBq_DKTb79mLQCpDocJ-LkS3NIgXT3fcYniEL-R-m5_gUeqIgQgAtlnFXypttZV43Vz3N54Rii-ekqxMT-CLA4R-FcT1yYUBsAfV-Ai_fgpHlM=w727-h969-no

Definitely an improvement over that mud bog!! I like your fence/gate setup. First class all the way!

Driveway is in, minus the part that meets the street. The county inspector never showed up so we had to delay the last section. We started to move things over today from the garage to the shop.

image.thumb.png.64941653fab68d7bd661fa101fa3c672.png

A little under 2500 sqft of concrete. Huge improvement on what we had.

image.thumb.png.cbd81465583d32ecc326e4959ab9d7fd.png

image.thumb.png.203a4b5c33c07d5f9646d0c912b895d5.png

Sealing the expansion joints with self-leveling sealer...

image.thumb.png.42a89bdeb74a746990e6c8fbb4e989f0.png

A quick comparison of the model/photo overlay and the final result... Actually pretty freakin' amazing!

image.thumb.png.c93e4e02a07dbe96a5b1750fb74dfcb5.png

It's a real testament to using free tools to plan jobs like this. What I will say is that it's very hard to get an idea of scale from a 3D model. On the screen it looks small, and in real life feels BIG!

Looking fantastic!!

So, what are the plans for the interior layout? Shelving, lifts, workbenches, cabinets, beer/garage fridge, bar, dartboard, stereo, blast cabinet, parts cleaner, etc.?

14 hours ago, Hollywood said:

Alignment rack?

If by "alignment rack" you mean "hub stands and strings on a pretty flat floor" then yes!

20 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

Looking fantastic!!

So, what are the plans for the interior layout? Shelving, lifts, workbenches, cabinets, beer/garage fridge, bar, dartboard, stereo, blast cabinet, parts cleaner, etc.?

Plans... oh gosh... without going into a bulleted list ... yes many plans.

The center of the shop has two reinforced pads for a two post lift. We might also do a 4 post later, but we'll see.

image.thumb.png.996e3531712d28e816574cc0b4c1ce71.pngimage.thumb.png.8e41ab244454229375ba1166684767bd.png

In the short term we're moving our stuff over from the garage. The building has a 7" deep space along the walls boxed in by frame members. I'm working on an efficient way to mount organizing shelves and pegboard and whatnot to make use of the space. We're putting up a bunch of the standard wire rack shelves on casters - the idea being we can move things around as needed, either out of the way or toward the project. We also need a dedicated material storage area for wood/metal sheets, scraps, and longer tubes and boards.

We're definitely going to populate a corner with larger tools - parts cleaner, mill, drill press, maybe tire machine and balancer. A metal fab area with good welding table, a grinding table, and a high volume fume extractor is also in the works.

Steve has already informed me "oh yes. there will be loud music." so we can plan for a multi-kW audio system, and knowing him a PLC automation rack that will run the shop air compressor and all kinds of widgets. Shop air and electricity of course.

For hangout space, since we had to plan plumbing and such on the front end, we spent a bunch of time planning out a small-but-awesome climate controlled "guest house" space. The current iteration looks something like this...

image.thumb.png.81b55fb224e80392ab1edd249453ecd4.png

Long term plan on that one. We're not in a hurry to build it, just have the space reserved. You may have noticed in pictures we have one section of floor stained darker. It's for this living/hangout space.

image.thumb.png.04d6f53d2baa3130bb94d402fd040ef5.png

Powder room downstairs, full bathroom upstairs. In shorter term plans we'll build the downstairs powder room by itself so there's a place to go pee and wash hands in the shop.

And of course, Steve insists that some day we will have a small pool to replace the one we exploded, and, like, 100 huskies,

image.thumb.png.c52a3910564ca681f0a51d97ae7cc3b0.png

Lots of plans. Some definite, some pipe dreams....

44 minutes ago, Shuka said:

And of course, Steve insists that some day we will have a small pool to replace the one we exploded, and, like, 100 huskies,

image.thumb.png.c52a3910564ca681f0a51d97ae7cc3b0.png

Lots of plans. Some definite, some pipe dreams....

Love it! That's a killer spread you have worked out there! I like Steve's thinking - if I ever got a big plot of land, post lottery winnings, I'd have a heard of Dachshunds...and thus no rodents 🙂

VERY VERY VERY cool!! I need to hang out with y'all sometime! Used to have Huskies...love 'em!! Y'alls' shop is coming along quite nicely!!

Jealousss. Super cool. Any plans for handling the heat in the summer time? Big fans, etc?

58 minutes ago, Clay said:

Jealousss. Super cool. Any plans for handling the heat the majority of the year? Big fans, etc?

ftfy

We finally got the driveway signed off and can use it, so the trailer came home this weekend. I want to use the space in the walls made by the purlins, so I used unitstrut and plywood to make some multipurpose vertical storage:

image.thumb.png.13c7eb8993bf2b2f3964a7cec4ba7faf.png

image.thumb.png.ce5b4c2af1fb235593308b6a30dc2fb1.png

While I was working on that, Steve installed the new water fountain!

image.thumb.png.43c9c975ce3fbe487fc561bc2a44404d.png

It seems silly, but having the water fountain is a game changer. I can't be the only one who is super guilty about not hydrating while working in the garage - mostly because it's a pain to go get a cup and water from inside with greasy hands and dirty clothes.

We moved over a bunch of material and stuff from the garage. Wire rack shelves are cool and all, but we need something more vertical, so we'll be looking for warehouse pallet racks. With the trailer home and the race car unloaded, the space is really starting to take shape. SO MUCH SPACE and I love it.

image.thumb.png.5d6d2403313a2e4a4b08767296401488.png

image.thumb.png.625914c9207d3b04543be74d9541556b.png

Super Jealous!!

the water fountain is definitely a nice touch.  I'd also have a beer fridge in there somewhere if I had my way.  When I'm in the shop, I tend to hydrate with beverages that are only 94% water.. 😉 

I assume there's space on the right of the trailer to get in and out if you need something?

1 hour ago, Matt93SE said:

I assume there's space on the right of the trailer to get in and out if you need something?

Yes, plenty of room to get in the trailer on the other side, and enough space to pull it all the way forward and drop the rear gate down too.

The potentially-wasted space caused by those wall girts definitely annoys my OCD. I've just finished up building a Big Ass Shelving Unit in our hangar, and one of the reasons I built it custom instead of just buying pallet racks was so I could butt the shelves right against the wall, rather than having that 8" gap.

Previously there were some short prefab steel shelves in this spot, short enough to go under the girt, but that annoyed me even more due to the wasted vertical space. This gives me at least twice as much storage, which matters since we don't have an attic for rarely-used stuff.

zACnTTB.jpg

It's looking fantastic! Yet, as BIG as it is...you'll soon have it full...and start looking to expand... LOL!

On 2/11/2020 at 7:14 AM, N546RV said:

The potentially-wasted space caused by those wall girts definitely annoys my OCD. I've just finished up building a Big Ass Shelving Unit in our hangar, and one of the reasons I built it custom instead of just buying pallet racks was so I could butt the shelves right against the wall, rather than having that 8" gap.

That's actually a really cool idea which I will likely blatantly copy!

We're looking at pallet racks up to 16-20' tall, and a small battery operated forklift to provide access. The forklift could also be retrofit with a person-basket for so we won't have to rent a lift ($300 minimum per rental) every time we need to put up conduit or move a light.

2 hours ago, Shuka said:

That's actually a really cool idea which I will likely blatantly copy!

We're looking at pallet racks up to 16-20' tall, and a small battery operated forklift to provide access. The forklift could also be retrofit with a person-basket for so we won't have to rent a lift ($300 minimum per rental) every time we need to put up conduit or move a light.

Please provide video...this will provide endless entertainment...but make sure to have the garage fridge FULLY stocked first LOL!!!