SpaceRangerJoe

Teaching Moment

Check this out from 50:00 to about 50:20

Then this.

I don't have any W2W experience, but I feel like this is day 1 lesson 1 of HPDE sorta skills missing here. Discuss.

I'm still confused about why he is being interviewed.

14 hours ago, robertcope said:

I'm still confused about why he is being interviewed.

Dunno, but this is certainly helping their hit rates! Any attention is good attention on the Youtubes

For the video: I didn't know what I was looking at until I saw the EVs parked on the side. I was like "whoa dude!"

Ugh. Lots of yellow flag passing there dude

2 minutes ago, Kong Sheng Han said:

Guy missed like three yellow flags

Per the race organizer, he missed 25 yellow flags while under a full course yellow.

1 hour ago, SpaceRangerJoe said:

Per the race organizer, he missed 25 yellow flags while under a full course yellow.

Oh damn

I got a little toasted while watching NHL playoffs last night and decided to throw my poorly written 2 cents in the arena.

"Oh boy, where to start? All this talk of owning your mistakes comes off as completely insincere bullshit when; 1

. You come off so non-chalant about a very dangerous situation in which you blew 20+ double yellows, passed multiple cars, some of those cars WHILE passing an EV/crew hooking up a disabled car WHILE ALSO talking about your entrepreneural "laser focus". Buddy, nobody at the track (drivers, crew, flaggers, organizers etc) gives a shit what you do off track, how many businesses you've built from nothing and how much money you make. Fast drivers with laser focus for 2, 3, or more hours at a time are a dime a dozen. They also know how to watch for and obey flag stations. At the very least they'd put 2+2 together that there's an EV on track and that everyone is reducing pace. What you had was red mist, not laser focus. You exhibited some DE1 level skillset, at best, with both your complete lack of awareness and also pace.

2. Being a newbie is no excuse. If anyone should know the rules and regs inside out, it's a newbie. And by newbie we're clearly talking about a driver signed off solo who is well aquianted with watching flag stations and what the various flags mean. You stated some racing creds at the beginning of the video. So which is it, have you raced before, do you have a license, or are you newbie? Can't have it both ways, unless we just go ahead and assume those credentials are rubbish, which obviously they are. I'm about four events into endurance racing with another org, I've blown a local yellow while closely following a competitor, slowed down when I saw the next flag station, and came in as soon as I was black flagged. No yelling required because I knew the rules, knew what I did wrong, and served my penalty. Lesson learned, no drama.

3. Name dropping and gloating about your friends with deep pockets. Just. Frakin. Lulz. Here's the deal "homeslice", no one cares. Grassroots racers on shoestring budgets (most of us) don't care to have more jabronies like you on track. People who think they're important by bringing money to our sport while blantly ignoring rules and treating the track workers and organizers as lesser individuals, calling them an "old boys club" because they roasted you for your gross negligence. You and your kind are only making motorsport worse. Please leave or go back to DE1 with your ego checked at the door or observe from the sidelines while truly promoting the future of motorsport. "Don't bother me with the facts, we've already made up our mind." What facts were gonna save you? None. Absolutely none.

4. Your team captain has already refuted your claim that he told you to stay out. You're a pathological liar with your head stuffed so far up your own ass you belive your own bullshit.

Maybe you're doing great things outside motorsport, but it's hard to believe when you now have two videos on VinWiki showing your complete lack of personal responsibility. Sure, people not involved with motorsports, fanboys, acquiantances, and otherise might have your back and all these comments you can "Like", but you can clearly see there's a strong following of actual motorsport enthusiasts that see straight through you. If you want to prove you really give a shit, you've got some work to do.
"

Oh, and here's his first video on VINWiki where he takes zero personal responsibility for putting his car in a wall. I would love to hear the intructors end of the story.

image.png

2 hours ago, SpaceRangerJoe said:

I didn't count the flags, other than to notice they were visible at every corner worker station I saw. I did count him passing ten cars over the course of two full laps under yellow. If he'd made one bad pass, I'd be way more willing to nod with the "teachable moment" idea, but this was just hilariously egregious.

That's a great remix, I think we need to start playing that at our SCCA Time Trials events for the Novices (they usually do pretty good with the flags).

Love the remix! The driver is a clown...after re-watching it's even more ludicrous. Did he think that all off a sudden he was actually reeling everyone in like they're standing still?

He has to be clueless - if at no point the sudden difference in his pace and the pace of the pack (of single file cars in a line btw) didnt alert him that something was going on, and he didn't notice that he passed the tow vehicle in two consecutive laps, he needed to be pulled. Good on AER for standing on principal. 

That song has been stuck in my head for a full day now. Just randomly walking around work and I catch myself singing "it's YOU, homeslice" under my breath.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:11 PM, Matt93SE said:

I just saw the video, man talk about a slimy rich guy who does not lose a moment to show his ego while telling you how humble he is.

i would hate to have him on my team.

as for what happened, he is a dick.

motorsport is dangerous, if you disagree play chess.

I imagine in that guy's head at the time he was thinking about how awesome he was and the folks he was racing were a level below him.

that remix is a thing of beauty.

IMO WRL and AER need to do a better job of vetting and onboarding drivers.  Its really tough because there is so many but I've find the quality of driving in those series to be really inconsistent.  Maybe an in house comp school, taking attendance at drivers meetings, but there needs to be a bit more accountability.  That being said.. this dude had an SCCA license.

1 hour ago, Vinnieb said:

that remix is a thing of beauty.

IMO WRL and AER need to do a better job of vetting and onboarding drivers.  Its really tough because there is so many but I've find the quality of driving in those series to be really inconsistent.  Maybe an in house comp school, taking attendance at drivers meetings, but there needs to be a bit more accountability.  That being said.. this dude had an SCCA license.

This.

And it's getting worse as they gain in popularity. 

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:07 AM, cabowabo said:

I

Oh, and here's his first video on VINWiki where he takes zero personal responsibility for putting his car in a wall. I would love to hear the intructors end of the story.

Oh my. Wrecking your Lotus was all the instructors fault too.  Textbook Narcissist DOUCHE.

1 hour ago, El_Tortuga said:

Oh my. Wrecking your Lotus was all the instructors fault too.  Textbook Narcissist DOUCHE.

After watching the video of how he told his side of the story on blowing through maybe 1 yellow at 50mph or less my skepticism grows large in how involved that instructor was when he crashed his Lotus.

20 minutes ago, jared said:

After watching the video of how he told his side of the story on blowing through maybe 1 yellow at 50mph or less my skepticism grows large in how involved that instructor was when he crashed his Lotus.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.