phm14

Rate Your Tracks

What tracks have you driven? Which was best? Worst? Why?

Rate the tracks you've driven, starting with #1 (best), and please let us know the details of why you gave the rating.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1184328

In order of preference

Watkins Glen (2:00.86)

Lime Rock Park (56.85)

VIR (1:58.8)

Texas World Speedway (1:47.5)

Road Atlanta (1:35)

Hallett (1:20.38)

MSR Cresson (1:20.25)

NOLA Motorsports Park (1:48.545)

MSR Houston (1:38 CW, 1:39 CCW)

Grand Sport Speedway

Circuit Grand Bayou

COTA (2:27.0) <---- dead last

0) TWS - great all around track, but it's gone

1) ECR - new surface, facilities, and configurations are going to rock! (I'd have had it tied or slightly behind MSRC in its old config and condition). I have no doubt that it'll be the top track in the state once it reopens.

2) MSRC - 4 configurations, no annoying sections or overly punishing corners, lots of events, but sucks in the rain. It's a great home track to monitor progression and track improvements in both the driver and the car. The 1.7ccw is pretty straight forward though, and doesn't take too long to figure out. If it weren't for the other configurations and how often they are available the track could start becoming stale.

3) COTA - Expensive but a F1 track with some interesting sections (and a straight that's just too long), once or twice a year is plenty though (even if one of those events includes free entry)

4) MSRH - No elevation (well, there's a hump), pit wall (really, you couldn't have the track/buildings farther apart), and it's too much of a drive for me for no real unique or interesting elements (it'd beat out COTA if it was closer)

I'm just over an hour from both ECR and MSRC, so it's hard to justify the time and cost to go to many other tracks. I know I'll start making trips to Hallett and NOLA but I don't see them as more than a once or twice a year type deal. Since I'm a teacher and I've got summers off, I should go somewhere cooler to track some summer. Traveling somewhere basically doubles the cost for me (or more), but broadening my horizons and at least trying some new tracks is probably worth it.

0) TWS - I just loved the way the track flowed.

1) MSRC - Fun track with multiple configurations and the pavement is in decent shape for texas tracks.

2) COTA - This track is fun when you have a fast car and the facilities are amazing.

3) MSRH — Nice track but very humid and the pavement is rough in a few areas.

4) Nurburgring Nordschleife — This track is very challenging due to its massive size, elevation changes, varying levels of grip and traffic, but it’s definitely worth driving.

5) H2R — This is the closest track to me and the staff is very helpful and friendly but the track is extremely bumpy and it takes four days for the water that runs across the back to dry up.

In order... I've been pretty lucky. 

Barber- beautiful, flowing,  technical, every corner requires attention. Amazing facility.  Awesome.

NCM- long, challenging flows well, gotta do alot right here to do well 

Tws- I'll go to my grave convinced I never did turn 1-2 right. Lots of great memories here. Great flow.

Road Atlanta- weirdly i only like 2 parts of this track... but then I realize that's most of the track. Need a set of brass ones to go fast here.

hallett- super technical and fun. Cream rises to.the top.

AMP- hidden gem an hour away from road Atlanta. Beautiful track and facility,  awesome elevation changes and blind stuff, super technical, great training ground.

NOLA- love fast ballsy corners on the back end and the esses.

Cresson- only ran the 1.7. Meh. About even on hate em vs like em corners here.

Heartland park- only been once but had a lot of fun.  Lots of high commitment high speed corners.

Msrh- meh. But maybe I just have too many laps there because it's home. 

COTA- if I wanted to go 20 mph in 2nd gear I'd drive on the street.

High plains - dont like the flow. Just cant seem to get it right. 

1) Texas World Speedway - I LOVED the banking!! Got to some really get some high speeds. I wish I had more seat time there, but now it's gone 😞

2) Eagles Canyon - This track eats brakes and tires like nothing. Loved the back straight high speeds, and the elevation changes were awesome. Can't wait to get on after the updates!

3) MSR Cresson 3.1 - Big ole' long track with fun elevation on the 1.3 side. This big config skurred me first time I drove it. Nerves got the best of me and I got bumped back down to novice group for a couple more events lol

4) MSR Houston - This track is just so chill to me. Flat and easy. Just don't get too comfy when coming up towards the wall

5) MSR Cresson 1.7 - I have the most track time here. I'm always ready to get on it to try and find more time. Really hate driving here in the rain...so freaking slick

6) Texas Motor Speedway Infield - This is cool just because it's inside the oval. Too bad I only get the chance to drive on it with Lone Star Corvette Club once a year. There's probably other orgs that run there, but I haven't looked in to.

7) Harris Hill Raceway (H2R) - This is some bumpy bullshit right here, but it is definitely a lot of fun for champcar/lemons type wheel to wheel. I'd never drive my Vette there though...I don't think it would survive more than a few laps

Jose - try Daytona....not knocking TWS, but the banking was quite minimal compared to Daytona.....even Homestead-Miami....it's crazy when you can smell / feel your splitter getting chewed up at speed while you are dialing in car setup! It's like a sweet incense burning smell that you are trying to quantify....at speed....with some vibration (from it chewing up)...LOL!!! Oh....and holding the throttle to the floor while concentrating on NOT hitting the wall! Wheeeeeee!!!

18 hours ago, BigMonkey73 said:

...snip 

6) Texas Motor Speedway Infield - This is cool just because it's inside the oval. Too bad I only get the chance to drive on it with Lone Star Corvette Club once a year. There's probably other orgs that run there, but I haven't looked in to.

Just so you know, NASA is running the TMS roval this year.   

There is an annual autox on the TMS infield every year in Late October or Early November (it's scheduled for October 6th this year, which is earlier than usual). You do need to have been to 3 autox events (with any club) to prove that you won't run out in front of the cars which go faster than a normal autox. 

It's not a trackday but still fun.

7 minutes ago, BRZ4Science said:

There is an annual autox on the TMS infield every year in Late October or Early November (it's scheduled for October 6th this year, which is earlier than usual). You do need to have been to 3 autox events (with any club) to prove that you won't run out in front of the cars which go faster than a normal autox. 

It's not a trackday but still fun.

Cool, forgot about that.  Ran with SCCA autox many years ago, mostly at Pennington field but ran a few times out at TMS, once on the infield like that but usually just in the bus lot.  Even the bus lot config usually had a 90+mph sweeper that was fun - and the only place I've completely spun a car out.

Any track that Lobstah is on.....well, it's the best track to be on!!

Seriously though - any track your on, no matter how much you may dislike it compared to your "dream" track....well, that's the BEST track to be on at that given moment! I will tell you that my two least favorite tracks are:

TMS Infield....boring....but the closes to my house

MSR Houston....well, it's Houston....total PITA to get there....flat as a pancake....oh wait...it's got that little launchpad thingie....so sure LOL...I know, I've probably PO'ed the folks here that are members there...don't take it as bashing....due to the before mentioned PITA to get there....that's my main gripe....hauling 73' of "fun" through and/or around Houston definitely brings the suck! I'm sure you Houston guys feel the same about having to go through DFW to get to ECR and Hallett, I get it! I'll post of my list sometime soon...

3 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

Any track that Lobstah is on.....well, it's the best track to be on!!

Seriously though - any track your on, no matter how much you may dislike it compared to your "dream" track....well, that's the BEST track to be on at that given moment! I will tell you that my two least favorite tracks are:

TMS Infield....boring....but the closes to my house

MSR Houston....well, it's Houston....total PITA to get there....flat as a pancake....oh wait...it's got that little launchpad thingie....so sure LOL...I know, I've probably PO'ed the folks here that are members there...don't take it as bashing....due to the before mentioned PITA to get there....that's my main gripe....hauling 73' of "fun" through and/or around Houston definitely brings the suck! I'm sure you Houston guys feel the same about having to go through DFW to get to ECR and Hallett, I get it! I'll post of my list sometime soon...

I was a member at MSRH and I didn't like it either

I'd love to have MSRH as my local 45 minute away track.

H2R is that for me, and I like it because it's close.  I'm planning to join for the easy to get track time.  I can go there on a member day with a light work schedule, work a bit from the clubhouse then go test some settings or just focus on driving for a while.

Anyway sorry I'm too long out of the game to provide a decent review of tracks, especially since it'd be mixed car and bike which is not entirely applicable.

1. Barber (bike) wonderful surface, elevation changes, blind corners, flowing fun

2. TWS (bike + car) flowing fun, several fast puckering turns

3. NOLA (bike) Was ok, some very fun back section. Fast

4. H2R (bike + car) I like the track layout, technical with some pucker sections, it's CLOSE, quite bumpy

Only rating the MSR's lower than H2R due to distance / value prop - else H2R would be on the bottom - though not by any huge margin.  H2R, MSRH, MSRC are all pretty interesting to me, and will be my most visited tracks.

5. MSRH (bike + car) I like the track layout overall, fairly challenging (ok I need years of time there to get any good), some rather bumpy sections

MSRC I haven't set foot on in a car since 2004.  The bike was more recent in 2011. So this doesn't really count as any kind of ranking.  But also distance / value prop.

6. MSRC (1.7 car+bike, 3.1 bike) been a long time but I liked how smooth it is there, and decent flow

For any one rating MSRC just on the 1.7 CCW, the 1.7 CW acts as a much different track.  You also need to get on the 1.3 and 3.1 configs, too, as the 1.3 section (and it combo'd with the 1.7 to make the 3.1) is MUCH more technical than the 1.7 CCW.

9 hours ago, RUQWIKR said:

For any one rating MSRC just on the 1.7 CCW, the 1.7 CW acts as a much different track.  You also need to get on the 1.3 and 3.1 configs, too, as the 1.3 section (and it combo'd with the 1.7 to make the 3.1) is MUCH more technical than the 1.7 CCW.

The 1.3 is my favorite part of Cresson, my only complaint is that it wears you out. There aren't any places to catch your breath and you are constantly working hard (which is also one of the best parts).