Captain Buddha

Did not know Avanetti was a racer...

Definitely not a new idea....totally aware of that....that's the funny thing whenever I post an article like this folks are like "hey, well, you know _____ did this as well...."...yep.....hate the black eye it gives our sport!

John Paul Sr. and John Paul Jr. come to mind.  They had father and son racing success -- financed by a number of nefarious methods, primarily running drugs.

Wasn't IMSA known as the International Marijuana Smugglers Association at one time? (or something along those lines)

1 minute ago, Tobey said:

Wasn't IMSA known as the International Marijuana Smugglers Association at one time? (or something along those lines)

Waho!  I found somebody who remembers that!

I flagged for IMSA Camel GT with Lake Erie Communications for a number of years (back when we all wore white uniforms, dayglo orange gloves, and only senior corner workers actually had radios).

The Pauls were more careless, but it seemed that many others found creative financing as well.  They weren't all wealthy like their competition, Hurley Haywood, Peter Gregg, etc.

Whittingtons and Randy Lanier come to mind too... theres some awesome stories from around that time. Dinner with racers did a great interview with Lanier where he was pretty candid about everything. They interviewed don whittington too but he was much more clammed up.