AhmadHasib

Brake Pad recommendation for C5Z06

Been researching on the best pads to get for the C5 Z06. Most of the recent posts on forums have been suggesting Raybestos ST-43 as a good option. 

Others have suggested Carbotech XP10/XP8, but I had terrible experience with Carbotechs on my Miata leaving transfer material on the rotors after a few laps. 

The Corvette will mostly be used as an HPDE toy. If I drive it on the street, it'll maybe be once a month. 

Any help from fellow C5 drivers would be great! An event at MSR Houston coming up next Saturday so trying to see if I can get pads and brake fluid flush before then. 

I got different suggestions as well, Willwood ProMatrix or Hawk HP Plus.  It all changes depending on who you talk to.

Anyone that thinks HP+ is a good track pad doesn't have a f'n clue what they're talking about. OP obvioulsy ain't lookin' for vette pads any more, but for a track only vehicle there's no reason to run XP10/8, should be going for something that can tolerate much more heat. XP10/8 is good on dual duty miatas with poverty hp.

I like the Ferodo DS 1.11 (they should work on a C5, but you can always move up a compound). HP+ isn't a track pad, if you want a Hawk pad you should start with DTC60 or go with the DTC70.

I haven't heard any other complaints with the Carbotech's, and I like the set of GLoc's that I ran (I'd definitely move up compound in a C5 though with R14/12 (XP14/12) as a starting point).

27 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Anyone that thinks HP+ is a good track pad doesn't have a f'n clue what they're talking about. OP obvioulsy ain't lookin' for vette pads any more, but for a track only vehicle there's no reason to run XP10/8, should be going for something that can tolerate much more heat. XP10/8 is good on dual duty miatas with poverty hp.

I've been running HP+ on my S2000 now for two years much to my chagrin. Who doesn't love a pad that you have to let cool down every other lap?! 🤣🤣 

2 hours ago, Hollywood said:

I've been running HP+ on my S2000 now for two years much to my chagrin. Who doesn't love a pad that you have to let cool down every other lap?! 🤣🤣 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Hollywood said:

bruh do you remember the R8 pad at Barber? 

I have no recollection of Barber. Pretty sure I've never been there.

What kind of tires? Street tires? 200tw tires? Hoosiers?

Getting an idea of how much grip you're dealing with can give very different answers

On 4/13/2019 at 12:00 PM, AhmadHasib said:

Others have suggested Carbotech XP10/XP8, but I had terrible experience with Carbotechs on my Miata leaving transfer material on the rotors after a few laps. 

FWIW, I had this same experience... tried for a long time to make them work, couldn't ever do it. Fast forward to my Lexus. Recently put GLOC pads on it, expecting to hate them and have the same issues. So far, they've been great. We'll see how it goes in the long run, of course.

31 minutes ago, jared said:

What kind of tires? Street tires? 200tw tires? Hoosiers?

Getting an idea of how much grip you're dealing with can give very different answers

you mean to tell me.. that entirely different vehicles with differing weight, power, rotor size, caliper size, pad size & brake cooling and driven in a different way could actually produce a different experience for a particular pad?    That's nonsense. 

1 minute ago, lobster said:

you mean to tell me.. that entirely different vehicles with differing weight, power, rotor size, caliper size, pad size & brake cooling and driven in a different way could actually produce a different experience for a particular pad?    That's nonsense. 

hAvE U hEaRd oF HAwK DTcs BrO??

2 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

hAvE U hEaRd oF HAwK DTcs BrO??

Hawk DTC is by far the best free brake pad there is outside of raybestos. 

3 hours ago, lobster said:

No! Only tires matter! Stop putting logic words into my mouth Lobster.

Raybestos ST43 were one of my favorite before BBK upgrade. Now I use Ferodo DS 3.12 exclusively.

My first pad was Hawk HP+. Really hard bite compared to OEM, but I've never recommended them to anyone...they suck when compared to a good race pad.

Stoptech Sport/309's are a really good beginner pad IMO. Can take the heat, but wear out quickly with hard brake tracks. But if you're only doing a few HPDE's a year? I'd run the Stoptech's all day. Super cheap and effective IMO.