Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
clifton23

Opinions on what caused this odd tire wear?

Recommended Posts

NT01s 255/40/17 with 2 wet weekends (MSRH & MSRC), 1 dry weekend (MSRH) and a final dry weekend at COTA.

COTA was a 3 day weekend with the PCA.  Sunday morning after my first session I noticed these weird "ripples or bumps" on the outside of the front tires.  Being the last day, I decided to send it.  2nd session of the day was my fastest all weekend and upon inspection after that session the tires seemed the same as the 1st session.  After 40 minutes of the 3rd session, which was a whopping 1.5 hours of track time available, I came in to check the tires as they became very greasy.  That's when I found them in this state, cording in the valleys of those ripples.

Asking a few others around the paddock, the general consensus was that the valleys are where the two tread blocks meet.  However, this is my third set of NT01s and I have never corded them in this fashion. 

Alignment wise up front is -3.5 camber with 0 toe.

 

Anyone ever seen this type of wear before?

signal-2019-04-10-215617.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post

Following. I had a tire that did almost the same thing when i didn't have much camber up front. Just adjusted camber to be more aggressive, but interested in replies

Share this post


Link to post

When you get them really thin and hot, that whole ring starts to delaminate. What i think causes the valleys is ABS pulsing the brakes and as those pieces grab the track they get scraped away. 

 

Heres a set of mine that did similar, I just didn’t stop as soon as you did. 

BC67A542-08A7-4800-B23F-B0172DC0BA5D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post

my guess is a harmonic in the tread of the tire during cornering speeds that's causing the tire to be out of round...  (ever seen a top fuel drag tire look like a pentagram? 1d0da0914a1f516969299384f6da93d8.jpg 

 

    BobKid's ABS comments also make perfect sense from similar standpoint..

Simply put, the tire was done worn out. you might use a touch less camber or rotate tires front/rear a little more often, but otherwise you've gotten 90% of the life out of the tire before you corded it, so don't worry much and move on with another set.

 

Share this post


Link to post

BTW, that strip starts looking sort of an ashy blue just before you get to the delam point. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, clifton23 said:

NT01s 255/40/17 with 2 wet weekends (MSRH & MSRC), 1 dry weekend (MSRH) and a final dry weekend at COTA.

COTA was a 3 day weekend with the PCA.  Sunday morning after my first session I noticed these weird "ripples or bumps" on the outside of the front tires.  Being the last day, I decided to send it.  2nd session of the day was my fastest all weekend and upon inspection after that session the tires seemed the same as the 1st session.  After 40 minutes of the 3rd session, which was a whopping 1.5 hours of track time available, I came in to check the tires as they became very greasy.  That's when I found them in this state, cording in the valleys of those ripples.

Asking a few others around the paddock, the general consensus was that the valleys are where the two tread blocks meet.  However, this is my third set of NT01s and I have never corded them in this fashion. 

Alignment wise up front is -3.5 camber with 0 toe.

 

Anyone ever seen this type of wear before?

 

You let Vettel drive your car?

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, ht_geordie said:

You let Vettel drive your car?

I am Vettel?

Share this post


Link to post

I think the ABS theory is very plausible here.  I was utilizing the hell out of it 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

Simply put, the tire was done worn out. you might use a touch less camber or rotate tires front/rear a little more often, but otherwise you've gotten 90% of the life out of the tire before you corded it, so don't worry much and move on with another set.

 

I rotated them at the end of each day.  I do this to get the most out of them.  

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, clifton23 said:

I rotated them at the end of each day.  I do this to get the most out of them.  

Is the NT01 bi directional? It seems like you'd want to remount them "backwards" to get more life out of them (before they delaminate anyway)

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, clifton23 said:

Bidirectional they are

I know it's a lot of trouble to get a little more use out of them, especially if you are paying for remounts.  

Were they full tread when started or shaved?  I thought NT01 had a bit more life in them than that.

Share this post


Link to post

I mean they had over 3 full track weekends on them and a hard weekend at COTA.  

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, clifton23 said:

I mean they had over 3 full track weekends on them and a hard weekend at COTA.  

MOAR!!!  I guess that's a lot but I thought I read 2 of them were wet.  But reading comprehension is hard when I'm lazy.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, clifton23 said:

Bidirectional they are

Are they? I just flipped my tires on the wheel...but I had heard they are directional.

Good news if they are..one less thing to worry about

Share this post


Link to post

They are side dependent but not directional.  In other words they have an outside and inside.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, clifton23 said:

They are side dependent but not directional.  In other words they have an outside and inside.

Yes, you can just rotate tire and wheel left to right to get even wear if your track wears more heavily on one side. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...