phm14

Bucket List Track Outside Texas?

I know some of you have traveled far and wide for that fresh fix. What would be your recommendation for the top track to visit outside Texas? Of course, COTA is a tough act to follow, and I understand Eagles Canyon will be ready soon, but...what track does the well traveled junkie mind drift to across state lines? Last time I discussed this question one on one, the answer was Barber...

Image result for barber track layout

Andrew said WGI this weekend when we asked him. I get the impression hes been about everywhere. 

11 minutes ago, kfennell said:

Andrew said WGI this weekend when we asked him. I get the impression hes been about everywhere. 

Me too, as in internationally...

In the southern region? Barber, tops. The facilities, track, museum, etc., but mostly the track. It's perfect.

Another vote for Barber...anyone driven Laguna Seca?

Raced Laguna Seca.  I enjoyed it, but not enough that I would go out of my way to go back.

After 3 laps, the cork-screw was solved, once you realize the pavement never moves -- you don't need to see it to drive it.

It was brake hard, hug the curbing drivers side, when you hit curbing, turn right and floor it.  Pavement magically appears under

tires 🙂 .   I basically treated this similar to Turn 8/9 at TWS.  Just blind 🙂  

I did pass a lot of cars there -- so clearly others didn't solve the puzzle that quickly.

Might differ depending on the car -- I was in a Honda Civic with an Integra engine.   

Turn 2 and 4 were challenging, and the fast sweeper leading onto the back straight was fun.

If I ever do a LEFT coast trip -- I'll certainly repeat Laguna, but wouldn't haul that far just to run Laguna.

Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, VIR, Road America, Laguna Seca..   the list is LONG

Only one I have knocked off the list is Road Atlanta.  Did a ChampCar race there, was AMAZING.

NOLA is also a LOT of fun.

Road America is a treat.  A bit of an old school, turn, straight, turn, repeat.  But still a bucket list track.  I have my second day up there later this month. (it's also dirt cheap for an HPDE compared to CoTA).

On the midwest theme, I REALLY enjoy Blackhawk Farms.  Little technical track on the IL/WI border.  Tons of fun. 

Haven't gotten out to enough, but I have done Barber and NOLA on motorcycle. Barber was a treat.  NOLA was good, but Barber is one I'd want to go back to again and again.

I want to run at all the major tracks in the US.  Hell I've never turned a wheel in anger at COTA 😐  To be fair I've been out of the game since right before when COTA started to allow the masses (track days)

You’ll find after going to other tracks that COTA isn’t a great track- far from it. 

My fav tracks: Road Atlanta, VIR, Barber. WGI and Road America were meh. A track that was a hoot that I didn’t expect was Roebling Road. A track I wish I had gotten to was Sebring. Don’t overlook Hallett. Heartland park isn’t really with the drive. By far the hardest track to learn was Mid Ohio (and I can get up to speed on tracks pretty easy). You think Cresson is slick in the wet- try Mid O. 

I am not a big COTA fan.  WGI and COTA are the same length.  My best at COTA is 2:26.x and my best at WGI is 2:00.86.  WGI just flows so well. WGI is my favorite track.

Next and it's close is VIR and LRP.  Since LRP is so far and is muffled most days, realistically, its VIR.

I loved Road Atlanta but only have one day.  I'll add Mid Ohio this May and go again in September.

Hallett is awesome as well.  

TWS (rip) was the best track in Texas.  Fact.  Change my mind!

NOLA isn't terrible but I live 40 minutes away and am usually scheming on how to go to Road Atlanta, VIR or WGI.

1 hour ago, Thundermoose said:

TWS (rip) was the best track in Texas.  Fact.  Change my mind!

@docphang would like to have a word with you

Edit: Never mind. He hasn’t been on in a while

At Barber, be sure to allow a day to spend in the museum. Lot's of motorcycles and Lotus Formula cars.

Daytona, Daytona, Daytona....hands-down my favorite track so far...so much so that I still dream about it....the banking, the full throttle, the banking....the bus stop....the speed....the walls everywhere (see video below - I hit an oil slick on my first practice....about crapped my pants!)....the history....yeah, I've raced Indy....and I got over the "cool factor" after the first lap - it was still cool though!! I've got Road America coming up for the June Sprints and Trans Am this summer so I know that will probably be my #2 track.

Edited by Captain Buddha
Tried to delete video...unable to....

I appreciate everyone who'd taken time to share their track experiences. In hindsight, I think another approach may have been better in directing the wandering Junkie to his next fix. The major flaw in what I've done here, is that we don't know what tracks the respondents have driven, and the tracks they have (or haven't) driven, of course will influence their top picks. in an attempt to improve the usefulness of the thread, I've posted what may be a better angle here: 

In order of preference

1. Watkins Glen (2:00.86)
  2. Lime Rock Park (56.85)
  3. VIR (1:58.8)
  4. Texas World Speedway (1:47.5)
  5. Road Atlanta (1:35)
  6. Hallett (1:20.38)
  7. MSR Cresson (1:20.25)
  8. NOLA Motorsports Park (1:48.545)
  9. MSR Houston (1:38 CW, 1:39 CCW)
  10. Grand Sport Speedway
  11. Circuit Grand Bayou
  12. COTA (2:27.0) <---- dead last

9 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

Daytona, Daytona, Daytona....hands-down my favorite track so far...so much so that I still dream about it....the banking, the full throttle, the banking....the bus stop....the speed....the walls everywhere (see video below - I hit an oil slick on my first practice....about crapped my pants!)....the history....yeah, I've raced Indy....and I got over the "cool factor" after the first lap - it was still cool though!! I've got Road America coming up for the June Sprints and Trans Am this summer so I know that will probably be my #2 track.

your car would also like WGI