Solo_S14

What’s out there for sale - SM or similar?

6 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

Well, whatever you would consider this condition (video was junk Saturday, it focused in on the wipers all day):

21j7h2o.png

316py6q.png

jfi2k8.png

16bkas6.png

I would call that a little rain.   

There wasn't enough to diminish grip tho.  

Had you been out there with us mere novices, you would feel differently about Diamonds Edge 😂.  At least it was the only time all weekend the Miata decided to understeer and push coming off the brakes.

Picked at the motor tonight to check a few things.  Compression (cold, dry) was about 150 or just shy across all cylinders.  That seems fine.

Then I pulled the valve cover to check out the hydraulic lifters.  I think the FSM calls out any lash on the hydraulic lifter (didn’t know lash on a hydraulic lifter was a thing) greater than 0.059” is a failed lifter.  None of them even showed 0.026” based on the random feeler gauge I decided to start with.

So then I pulled the front of the motor off, pulled the cams, and found a really odd condition for all of the lifters.  Hrm, exhaust side is the exact same thing.  I1 and E1 were fine, when I pulled them out I was able to move them by hand.  But then all the rest of them (I2-I8) and (E2-E8) have no movement.  It is as if they have all “failed” or “seized”.  

339B4D9E-807A-46FF-B8BB-8C6FD664FC3E.jpeg

That might explain the “ticking”, but it wouldn’t explain the idle issues, and I don’t think explains the audible ticking on hard left hand turns.  Maybe multiple issues going on here.  

Will mess with it some more tomorrow.  Think I’m going to pull the engine anyway since it need a clutch (slipped on the 3-4 shift a bunch of times this weekend), and probably easier to either swap the motor or piece this one back together while it’s out.

The pistons also looked kind of washed on the Intake side.  Maybe leaky injectors or injector seals?  Look familiar to anyone?  These old cars are fun 🙃

9DB003B7-40F3-4375-BDF1-0396BFBBCF6A.jpeg

Well, the engine is back where it is supposed to spend its evenings.  That’s one positive step towards Cresson this weekend...

Bearings all looked pretty good, I think this engine had a rebuild somewhere along the line judging by the seal kit.  Compression seemed ok.  Only obvious issue was 14 of the 16 lifters that had converted themselves from hydraulic to solid.  Sorted those, new clutch, plugs, wires, and sealing everything up, and this thing might actually idle ok now 😂

3C85FF3B-6B92-49DB-A30C-07B3459980F8.thumb.jpeg.b16ea69687a77580a85c7db9c3e49427.jpeg

15 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

Well, the engine is back where it is supposed to spend its evenings.  That’s one positive step towards Cresson this weekend...

Bearings all looked pretty good, I think this engine had a rebuild somewhere along the line judging by the seal kit.  Compression seemed ok.  Only obvious issue was 14 of the 16 lifters that had converted themselves from hydraulic to solid.  Sorted those, new clutch, plugs, wires, and sealing everything up, and this thing might actually idle ok now 😂

Fingers crossed for you on the idle being more consistent now! I need to pull my Miata's engine and correct an oil pan seal hemorrhage, change timing belt, adjust valves, change clutch etc. Your pics have inspired me to tackle the jobs sooner rather than later ;)