Solo_S14

What’s out there for sale - SM or similar?

Not really liking the “no hans + 3pt belt” setup in the Evo, and looking further ahead I think I’m better off to try to find a prepped chassis now rather than try to build on this platform.  Would also welcome the break on consumables vs the Evo X 😂

What’s out there?  Originally thought SM to open up (next year’ish) comp school etc - but the goal right now isn’t W2W (yet).

Also open to considering street legal / driveable options that aren’t quite full trailer yet.  Really just want to dip my toe into what’s out there, hear any advice on what you would do if you had your time back, etc.

Not really a snob to driven wheel layout, but leaning toward small, light, rwd (SM, FRS, 350z etc) as I start to think about it.

What do you guys have?

"Break on consumables" == low-ish hp and weight and smaller wheels.

Miata, BRZ/86, S2000, RX8, Boxster S, E36 M3.

Alright I'm throwing down this time. I own a Type R, an S2000 CR, and a fleet of Miatas. My pick?

Buy a caged, SM-legal and ready Miata. Why? Because you can run the piss out of it in DE's to your heart's content. When you're ready to move to W2W, you're already comfortable in the platform and...drumroll...the competition is there waiting. No one (who is serious about it) races SM because they enjoy racing Miatas over everything else (alright that's not entirely true but the appeal is the equal playing field), you do it for the competition -- which is about as stiff as you can get in the amateur ranks.

If your end game is more Time Trials / AutoX, go for one of the twins (stay away from the S2000s they're terrible you don't need or want one they'll kill you etc. etc. etc. etc. but leave more for me).

That's more like 5 bucks worth instead of two cents but take it to the bank.

Hollywood's got the best ideas.

SM or a car with an interior you can rip out when you go SM if you're thinking about ending up there. If you're planning on long trips, the FRS/BRZ is hard to beat since you can get a full set of tires and tools in the back without a tire trailer. The S2k is great but much smaller (check if you fit) but they'll tow a tire trailer just fine and make great DE/TT cars. They are starting to become 'classics' though and prices have started to go up, but the rougher examples are still affordable.

There is a Spec FRS/BRZ class (SSC), it started out as an SCCA autox class but is starting to get incorporated into other programs. You have to use a first gen (2013-2016) car, the '15-'16 are the best starting points since the 2013 have the valve spring recall of death and both the '13 and '14 have the annoying coilpack failure problem (some were fixed under warranty, like mine, which required swapping out a new wiring harness).

What 5 point harness would you guys choose?  ‘91 with Hard Dog Hardcore roll bar and NRG seats.

Or would you go 6-point?  I’ve only ever ran a 5pt.  Want to order this weekend to be ready for Chin next weekend.

11s0znk.jpg

On 4/6/2019 at 8:53 PM, Solo_S14 said:

What 5 point harness would you guys choose?  ‘91 with Hard Dog Hardcore roll bar and NRG seats.

Or would you go 6-point?  I’ve only ever ran a 5pt.  Want to order this weekend to be ready for Chin next weekend.

11s0znk.jpg

I’d recommend six point because it’s more comfortable in the crotch/upper thigh region, and I believe it provides a bit more safety. My Schroth Profi harness doesn’t never loosens up on track, which apparently harnesses of some brands like to do.

Yarp, that's the one. If you don't need the passenger seat you can remove it and just tetris four tires/wheels (up to 225x9) into the passenger space.

So I’ve learned two things this weekend:

1. Miata’s are (just about) as quick as Evo’s when comparing my PB from the first weekend in the car, to my PB from my first weekend on track in the Evo.  Interesting to see the speed trace on the straights vs the min speeds in the turns.

2. Miata engines last exactly one Chin track weekend.

Anyone have a line on a 1.8L Miata engine?  😂

2mes9k3.png

Gashead / $-Factor will source one. Also recommend east street racing, you can source one depending on condition 800-1200 fully dressed

18 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

So I’ve learned two things this weekend:

1. Miata’s are (just about) as quick as Evo’s when comparing my PB from the first weekend in the car, to my PB from my first weekend on track in the Evo.  Interesting to see the speed trace on the straights vs the min speeds in the turns.

2. Miata engines last exactly one Chin track weekend.

Anyone have a line on a 1.8L Miata engine?  😂

2mes9k3.png

That was you?! I was in the red 111 car

Oh nice!  I started novice with an instructor and best I could do was 2:01 (in the wet session funny enough) with the instructor in the car.  Immediately dropped 4 secs solo lol.

7 hours ago, lobster said:

there was a wet session?  

Well, whatever you would consider this condition (video was junk Saturday, it focused in on the wipers all day):

21j7h2o.png

316py6q.png

jfi2k8.png

16bkas6.png

Just because numbers: miles on the motor that blew?  Did you do fluids, etc before your track time?  What oil was in there when it died?

Some 1.8s will use a decent amount of oil on track, always be sure to check after each session, they don't tell you when they're low. 

It was just an unknown mile 1.8 that the guy swapped in there a year or two ago.  It had Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic (just because I had it laying around) and over the weekend only consumed about 1/2 a qt.  Haven’t cracked the motor yet to see what it is, planned to do it last night, but needed to stay married after the weekend so I’ll post some stuff tonight I hope.

Might end up being something in the head - I assumed an oil pressure issue because it was “ticking” loudly on hard left hand turns (bus stop and the chicane before bus stop). Not really noticeable at speed on other parts of the track, until slowing down to pit of course, and then tick ticked it’s way home.

It also almost died at the couple of lights I had to take, I was keeping the idle at ~2k to try to keep the oil pressure up, it would drop near zero as if it were going to die, then pick back up again just before it would have stopped running.  Video attached:

And yes, the vac lines and most everything else in there is a mess, haven’t had time to start on it, bought the car last weekend and just had time to do brakes, tires, fluids, alignment, check suspension etc before this weekend.  I’m at Cresson the weekend of the 27th so will have to sort everything over this coming weekend.

How do you like the Miata compared to the Evo, and your other cars?  (I forget, I think you said you have a Silvia back in CA)

I'm scared to drive a Miata because I don't need to want something else.

The Miata is fun man.  I never felt like I could load up the rear outside tire in the Evo and then drive around a corner near or at the limit.  The Evo seemed to want to understeer, until it oversteered and generally was more point and shoot.

The 240 was a bit of a different situation, I’ve never driven it on track only at AutoX, so it’s hard to compare.  That car would dyno anywhere from 380-410whp on a given year and weighed in at about 2700lbs.  I always fought with poor gas, detonation, meth injection, etc so it wasn’t as “simple” as a car you would want to get in and beat on.  A lot more high maintenance.  (That said, I love driving that car!).  The E60 M5 I’m afraid to take to the track because rod bearings....but the chassis feels really well balanced for a million pound car.

Definitely see where the draw to Miata and SM comes from.....then again, I also see why some guys put big motors in them lol