atadams

Don’t lift at Turn 3 (crash)

Any surprises on the repair? Make sure they check all the panel reveals carefully. Frunk lid looks tight to the passenger side...

Very sorry this happened to you, but thank you so much for sharing!

I'm driving for first time here soon and just got track insurance from Hagerty and will be mostly covered it seems.

@atadams, what software package are you using for the video/telemetry overlays? I know you mentioned GoPro6 for the video itself, but i've never seen this video overlay style before (it looks really good!).

21 hours ago, texevora said:

@atadams, what software package are you using for the video/telemetry overlays? I know you mentioned GoPro6 for the video itself, but i've never seen this video overlay style before (it looks really good!).

I have an AiM Solo DL picking up the OBDII data from the car (e.g., steering angle, throttle, brake) and I use a custom Race Render template I created to do the overlay. An earlier version of the template is available here: https://github.com/atadams/racerender-audi-r18. I need to clean the current version up before I share — but it's pretty complicated and I'm doing some things that aren't easy in Race Render. I've actually created a Python script to make modifying some of the display object easier.

I'll let you know when I post the current template.

Glad you're OK. I'm surprised at how little damage you had. 

For next time, agree with turning in the from the middle of the track. Less steering input, straightens out the turn and is safer. If you do make a mistake, your car is likely going to slide down the middle of the track and not hit anything. A later or more steering input points you towards the wall.

Totally get why there are so many incidents  in T3. Its counter intuitive since T3 is the only turn that I know of where an early turn in actually safer.

Happens all the time at T3.  if you walk the track after you go under the bridge there is a pretty significant elevation change that lightens the rear up.  Thanks for making a teachable moment out of a bad situation because this is a textbook T3 incident.

For the record, theres a ton of runoff past there , so if you are bent out of shape put your eyes out there and you can sometimes get all sorts of backwards without hitting hard stuff.