atadams

Don’t lift at Turn 3 (crash)

I made a rookie mistake (i.e., I’m a rookie and I made a mistake) and lifted/coasted trying to take Turn 3 at COTA and spun off into the barrier. I didn’t correct quickly enough or near the right amount

No injuries and it appears to be only cosmetic damage. 

Thanks to PCA, COTA, and the safety crews for being so professional. 

Edited by atadams

Great video.  Really sucks about that crash, but glad you're ok and hope the damage is easily repaired.

Did COTA bill you for barrier repair?

now at least you can repair it and have no qualms about turning it into a race car.  

I'm not about to armchair quarterback on that tho. 

What was the process like?  they come out with a clip board and give you a bill before you got the car on the truck?

Sorry to see this, thus is why i tell people to turn in from mid track there it makes that initial input less. Did you by chance track out further at 2 then you had in previous laps?

23 minutes ago, kfennell said:

Sorry to see this, thus is why i tell people to turn in from mid track there it makes that initial input less. Did you by chance track out further at 2 then you had in previous laps?

I was turning in from mid track in earlier sessions but was trying some different lines this session and did go wider than usual at two. What tipped you off?

I'm familiar with the COTA damage policy, but that barrier has been hit before, many times, and appears to be designed with some resiliency (as in it has been returned to its' normal flat surface after previous hits). I'd hope any associated charges would be minimal, if any, unless you perforated it. I would also like to know how it was handled, as I'll be driving the track (again) this weekend...

Just lots of laps there and it seemed like you were being more abrupt with your right to left transition there then expected at your level. Ive had 2 students spin there doing the same thing as well, despite my guidance. Just got lucky those times that we didnt hit anything. 

IMG_0904.thumb.jpg.e20139c96494533b750ed95b50eb3739.jpg

Plastic from the barrier melted to my tailpipe.

IMG_0902.thumb.jpg.c82f6434393d9d102529e528b5d80817.jpg

The worst of it. 

IMG_0901.thumb.jpg.e629009a34258a5bce788d397be7512f.jpg

IMG_0900.thumb.jpg.3f380f77a19339896a58886d29f7deb8.jpg

Clear bra on the front so most of this will come off with it.

Are you filing a claim on track insurance? If so, feedback on that carrier would be helpful, as well...

12 minutes ago, phm14 said:

I'm familiar with the COTA damage policy, but that barrier has been hit before, many times, and appears to be designed with some resiliency (as in it has been returned to its' normal flat surface after previous hits). I'd hope any associated charges would be minimal, if any. I would also like to know how it was handled, as I'll be driving the track (again) this weekend...

They dropped my car off at my garage and that's the last I've heard from COTA. I was hanging around expecting a visit but it never happened. PCA had me fill out an incident report.

In my 3rd hand experience they hit you with the bill before you leave so maybe that barrier is a freebie!

4 minutes ago, phm14 said:

Are you filing a claim on track insurance? If so, feedback on that carrier would be helpful, as well...

Wish I had track insurance. Filed with my insurance to see what they say. It's USAA, so I probably have a small chance they'll pay. The estimate is $4,800. I'm sure there's another $1,000 in there. That won't break me.

1 minute ago, kfennell said:

In my 3rd hand experience they hit you with the bill before you leave so maybe that barrier is a freebie!

If they charge me, I'm going to ask for the barrier. 😁

8 minutes ago, atadams said:

Wish I had track insurance. Filed with my insurance to see what they say. It's USAA, so I probably have a small chance they'll pay. The estimate is $4,800. I'm sure there's another $1,000 in there. That won't break me.

That seems like not a bad price for fixing a newer Porsche with that damage so I guess this isn't the end of the world. I know for a fact USAA has paid claims in the past, however I believe in the past few years in general in TX many insurance companies are not. Interested to hear how that process goes!

1 hour ago, atadams said:

Be sure and tell them it was a HPDE, that it was a High Performance Driver Education event. It may help . . .

Ouch, but I'm glad you're ok.

One question, what camera setup is that? Seems like it's on a gyroscope or something. Looks like it stays level despite the car's body roll.

1 hour ago, Arro said:

Ouch, but I'm glad you're ok.

One question, what camera setup is that? Seems like it's on a gyroscope or something. Looks like it stays level despite the car's body roll.

It’s a GoPro Hero6 Black with an adhesive mount to the windshield. What you are seeing is the software image stabilization. It’s really good. 

I appreciate you being open with the incident, and keep us informed of the insurance, car repair outcome, etc.  I'll be at the CHIN COTA event, my second COTA event ever.  I'm comfortable with my car at speed on MSR all configs, and was comfortable at COTA when I went last.  Comfortable does not equal infallible.  I do carry track insurance for all HPDE events and consider it just another expendable to budget in.  I don't drive differently with or without it, but, just have it there just in case.  All the best on getting back on track quickly.

This reminds me of why I prefer a race car over a street car....not at ALL knocking the OP - I've been around COTA a fair amount of times (race and HPDE) in tube frame race cars. Then I've also done a few laps in my new Z06....actually hated it....why? No safety, knowing that if something bad happened that I did not have the full-on safety of a race car (which you can obviously add to a track-specific car) and that it would also be pricey....granted my new TA2 Camaro makes my Z look pretty cheap....but a tube frame is soooo much easier/cheaper to repair! Just something to think about as you get faster and faster...

45 minutes ago, RUQWIKR said:

I appreciate you being open with the incident, and keep us informed of the insurance, car repair outcome, etc.  I'll be at the CHIN COTA event, my second COTA event ever.  I'm comfortable with my car at speed on MSR all configs, and was comfortable at COTA when I went last.  Comfortable does not equal infallible.  I do carry track insurance for all HPDE events and consider it just another expendable to budget in.  I don't drive differently with or without it, but, just have it there just in case.  All the best on getting back on track quickly.

Honestly, it's a little embarrassing and my first inclination was to keep the video to myself. You don't want to be one of those guys they show at DE classes as an example of what not to do, but I think the data makes it a pretty good teaching video. If others can see it and learn from my screw up then maybe they can avoid the same fate.

Generally COTA will bill the (insurance of) the event organizer.  They know that most people just wouldn't pay them if they sent you a ~$15k bill. 

I know someone who hit the inside barrier of the carousel and was never billed for the damage, even though he told the organizer that he was ready to pay. Last time I talked to him, it had been about a year since the incident. 

I approach T3 from about the middle of the track and give maintenance throttle until the braking zone. Is that a safe way to approach that section? My car always feels planted since I give very little steering input and keep rear a bit loaded. 

Glad your safe. Looks like barrier did it's job well in saving vehicle and your head didn't seem to move around all that much.  

Looking at track insurance, the ones I've looked have a minimum deductible of 10% of the car's value, which is more than I'm paying. So it wouldn't have helped me in this particular situation. That said, I'll get it next time in case I have a situation where the damage is greater.