Sign in to follow this  
Rev

WTB: '78-'98 911 Coupe, manual, 2wd

Now that the S2K has shipped to its new owner, I'm actively looking for what's next for a fun weekend car. I would love to find a reasonable condition, air-cooled 911 coupe since that's been the dream since the mid 80's. Has to be a manual. I can afford up to $35k, but at that price, it would need to be in pretty good shape mechanically (IOW, I can't afford $35k + a top-end rebuild). If any of you happen to hear of one, especially from a seller you trust, let me know. Thanks everyone!

If you are good with a targa then that price is reasonable.

Look on Pelican and be quick.

Even if it leaks don’t worry too much. 

This one looks fantastic. Offer 38 and bring it home. Search in on Pelican. I can’t tell you more because I would like to buy it - secretly. Time is of the essence. I shall disappear now.

puffffff

9F6E7635-9331-43AF-8B9F-A75945062787.png

On 4/22/2019 at 10:26 AM, HDA said:

This one looks fantastic. Offer 38 and bring it home. Search in on Pelican. I can’t tell you more because I would like to buy it - secretly. Time is of the essence. I shall disappear now.

puffffff

9F6E7635-9331-43AF-8B9F-A75945062787.png

BUY IT, my friend! It would make an amazing second 911, especially on track. I'm really not able (permitted might be a better word ;-)) to go above $35k. Plus, no AC, heat, or blowers would make a rough car for the street in Texas. And he says the blinkers and wipers don't work. That plus no street-legal seat belts means some work and money will be needed for this to pass inspection and be street legal. This car needs to go to someone who'll get it on track often. Maybe in another 10 years when my kids move out!

I'm keeping an eye on Targa's, too. While I prefer a coupe, you're probably right about a Targa being closer to my price range. Let me know if you see anything I should check out!

I know you are looking for an aircooled, I get it, they are fun to drive and filled with character.

BUT

a ready to enjoy 911 at 35k is going to be extremely hard to find, and when you do they usually hide some stories.

in my humble opinion, and if you are looking for something streetable with comforts, I would look at 997 S.

the AC on aircooled, especially before 89, is basically non existent. The performance in stock trim is underwhelming. The safety, if you take kids with you for the occasional drive...don’t even think about it.

I will keep my eyes open but you keep you option open as well and consider later years. 

1 hour ago, HDA said:

I know you are looking for an aircooled, I get it, they are fun to drive and filled with character.

BUT

a ready to enjoy 911 at 35k is going to be extremely hard to find, and when you do they usually hide some stories.

in my humble opinion, and if you are looking for something streetable with comforts, I would look at 997 S.

the AC on aircooled, especially before 89, is basically non existent. The performance in stock trim is underwhelming. The safety, if you take kids with you for the occasional drive...don’t even think about it.

I will keep my eyes open but you keep you option open as well and consider later years. 

All good points. I’m starting by looking for the car I’ve dreamed of. If that doesn’t pan out in my budget, I’ll move to other options. I’ve actually thought an ‘09+ cayman s would be the 2nd choice over the 997. I don’t need backseats since I’ve got the e46 for kid duty. Caymans seem pretty dynamite at the limit. And the 09+ are fairly bullet proof from what I’ve read. 

Im curios to know what you think of Caymans. 

23 minutes ago, HDA said:

Caymans are too rational for me.

Said the man with the homicidal 964! 

20 hours ago, HDA said:

Caymans are too rational for me.

I actually do agree with you about that. I think it may be hard to really have fun with a Cayman on the street b/c it's just too capable and poised. It would always feel like it's just puttering down the street. To really experience it's potential, it would have to be on track. I feel that way about 997+ 911's too. How can one enjoy such a car on the street w/o breaking lots of laws?!

That's part of the appeal of an older air-cooled car - have to really work for the speed. It would be engaging even at 50mph.

Meh, the 997S actually needs to rev high to move which is hard to do on the streets. Think about an S2000 with the engine in the trunk.

On a 0-30 at the traffic light an Accord Turbo will smoke a 997 S.

I am saying this as you can still enjoy the Porsche magical aura without HAVING to go aircooled.

1 hour ago, HDA said:

Meh, the 997S actually needs to rev high to move which is hard to do on the streets. Think about an S2000 with the engine in the trunk.

On a 0-30 at the traffic light an Accord Turbo will smoke a 997 S.

I am saying this as you can still enjoy the Porsche magical aura without HAVING to go aircooled.

Maybe 0 to 30, but 0 to 60 is an easy win for the 997s - 4.3s manual, 3.9 pdk according to Motor Trend. 

I do really like the 997s, especially the later ones that avoid IMS scares. I do worry a bit about driving up to my church in one, though, as it still looks too new and shiny to most people. An 80’s 911 wont trigger those thoughts. 

Who knows - I’ll just have to wait and see what comes my way. I’m praying daily to find a good car, and not do something stupid with our money 🙂

11 hours ago, HDA said:

There's a story with that one! I contacted him 2 weeks ago, pulled the carfax, and discovered it was salvaged in Oklahoma, then the title was "washed" in N Carolina (2nd worst state in country for title washing), then easily received a clean TX title. I don't think the seller knew any of that. Had clean title when he bought it. But will never lose the "salvage" branding.

I'm talking seriously with the guy in NY about that Prussian Blue '85 today or tomorrow. About ready to purchase.

Andddddd.....

On 4/25/2019 at 10:50 PM, HDA said:

Man !!!!

looks great!

Signing bill of sale and prepping shipping tomorrow 🙂

Front - medium.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Signing bill of sale and prepping shipping tomorrow 🙂

Front - medium.jpeg

Congratulations! I want to see it soon!

All loaded up in New York. Four days to Texas. Patience, my son, patience.

IMG_5621.JPG

Congrats!!!! Looks like a nice driver!