Sign in to follow this  
BigMonkey73

Champcar 2019: 03/29 & 03/30

Hey gang!

Me and 2 buddies are racing at Harris Hill next weekend. Anyone from here going?

We'll be in #335 BMW 325is..stop by and say hi!!

Do you have a link to the schedule for that weekend? 

I am normally racing this race in the #314 MR2 (Dees Nutz) but had to pass this time around.  COTA with PCA that weekend.

Jose - that is awesome!! First race for you, right?!?!??? Get it!!!!!!

I did my first one last year and it was a blast. There is an OUTSIDE chance that i'll be there in the #800 Miata that my buddy runs Champ with. Fingers crossed!

5 hours ago, joesurf79 said:

I did my first one last year and it was a blast. There is an OUTSIDE chance that i'll be there in the #800 Miata that my buddy runs Champ with. Fingers crossed!

You going to keep all the metal bits inside the engine this time?

No fires?

Too Soon?  😛

4 hours ago, clifton23 said:

You going to keep all the metal bits inside the engine this time?

No fires?

Too Soon?  😛

Wife would be home with baby, so there is literally no chance that it would not be full on mayhem:)

Welp, first wheel to wheel race completed...sort of. We were in the E3 Racing white BMW #335

Day #1 went pretty great. We had some car issues, but they got resolved and we were able to race. 3 drivers, our head driver did first and last stint...and I had my first taste of a 2 hour wheel to wheel. It was a blast for sure, and now I see why people choose cheap cars to run. Some of these guys don't seem to GIAF if they make contact or not...really ballsy in some corners going 2 and 3 wide! I had to back off a lot to make sure I didn't hit or get hit. In the end, we ended 2nd place in C class for day 1 and car made it back safe.

Day #2, not so great. We fixed a couple of more issues and we changed strategy such that I had first stint. We put on some new stickier tires and the car felt fantastic! I set the new fastest team lap time of 1:31.7, but only managed to do about 35 laps. Going in to turn 7, I tangled with a green Miata. At this point I am not 100% if it was my fault or not, but in retro...ya it was because I was being way too aggressive in the first session. I should have backed off to make sure we finished the race, but I had such a good flow going and had so much confidence in the car...we both deep braked and then the Miata crossed over and refused to take the outside line on the right hander and I hit his rear quarter panel and we both went straight off track. Got the car turned back on, but had to limp in to the pitts. Lower control arm broken, wheel bent, steering wheel and alignment is off center, and god knows what else...she's at the shop to get a full diagnosis. It turned out to be the Miata parked right next to us !! I didn't realize until after we left.

We scrambled for hours to get the new control arm..had to bribe the track shop guys to let us use their press to get the bushing in, but we got it done and that was just enough to get the car home back to Ft. Worth.

Race #2 was DNF. I was heart broken and sad that I let my team down. They forgave me, but it still hurts. I forgot the "endure" part of this endurance race, and it has been a hard personal lesson. We will be at the next one back in September for sure though to give it another go.

P.S. The helmet air blower and cool shirt saved my butt!! It made 2 hours seem really easy, but without it I would have been screwed for sure.

Post video of the contact!!

And wait..."that was just enough to get the car home back to Ft. Worth.".....WTF? No trailer???!!??

Don't know about the video. I'm the only one who knows how to work the GoPros, and since I was driving...someone messed up the setting and did time lapse instead of video. I'll see what I can grab.

Yes, we had a trailer...but the tow vehicle was having transmission issues. We thought that the truck might have been overloaded, so we just drove the car home. Turns out that was not the issue and still had transmission problems.

Here's what I put together from the time lapse pics. I slowed it down a bit, still a bit fast IMO..but didn't want to mess with it anymore.

After looking at it myself, I feel even worse lol. It really amazes me how I had convinced myself that we were both at fault to some degree, but no way..I totally screwed the pooch on this. I was on the inside line and came in way too hot....didn't brake early enough and I hit him square in the passenger quarter/bumper. The impact wasn't actually too dramatic, but I drove him way off track. Most of the damage on our car was because I had the wheel turned when I went off and I'm certain that's what caused the control arm to bend along with the wheel.

100% my fault here, no hiding that. Ugh, hard pill to swallow.

1 hour ago, BigMonkey73 said:

100% my fault here, no hiding that. 

It is amazing how crucial video is for incident recall. I can't even count the amount of times my "incident memory" was so far from the actual sequence of events...to the point that I avoid speaking to anyone until I've reviewed it.

Live and learn, glad everything is ok 🙂

On 4/2/2019 at 11:18 AM, Hollywood said:

It is amazing how crucial video is for incident recall. I can't even count the amount of times my "incident memory" was so far from the actual sequence of events...to the point that I avoid speaking to anyone until I've reviewed it.

Live and learn, glad everything is ok 🙂

That's no lie. I've been 100% sure about what happened, where we both started and ended up, and whose fault it was. The camera can be humbling to those memories.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:34 AM, BigMonkey73 said:

After looking at it myself, I feel even worse lol...100% my fault here, no hiding that. Ugh, hard pill to swallow.

I know hoe you feel! But you cant beat yourself up over it Jose - #becauseracing

I raced Champ Car in a buddies Miata last year, and the engine failed on Day 1 while I was at the wheel. Suspected chain of events after the forensics and video analysis was that a bearing spun getting super hot, the oil heated up, the high oil temp light on the gauge lit up (which I didn't see for 4 corners), the communication across the radio was not clear - Initially they said ignore it if it wasn't on the AIM digital dash as well (it's difficult to hear anything in a 9,000 decibel tin can Miata isn't it??), I backed off anyway, but in less than half a lap from the time the high oil temp light came on (per video) - the number 4 rod quit the team in dramatic fashion. It's escape route was through the block on the exhaust manifold side, so things got smokey in the cab in a hurry.

I remember feeling FREAKING TERRIBLE after using the fire bottle waiting for the tow rig (almost made it to pit out!!!) -  I felt like I ruined his car. Like it was something I had done, personally that caused it. Maybe I was driving to hard.  I was seriously humbled to have the rest of the team just shrug and say, "it's racing, glad you were not hurt!". Turns out that motor had been overheated HARD the year prior when it lost a water pump pulley on track. It was on borrowed time anyway, and stuff happens when racing.

Similar to your scramble situation, we borrowed a hoist from the shop at Harris Hill, swapped the motor for a hastily procured "tested" $400 junkyard 1.6 core until 1am, and raced it the next day :) The car owner said it felt stronger than the motor we pulled haha!

On 4/1/2019 at 9:27 AM, BigMonkey73 said:

After looking at it myself, I feel even worse lol. It really amazes me how I had convinced myself that we were both at fault to some degree, but no way..I totally screwed the pooch on this. I was on the inside line and came in way too hot....didn't brake early enough and I hit him square in the passenger quarter/bumper. The impact wasn't actually too dramatic, but I drove him way off track. Most of the damage on our car was because I had the wheel turned when I went off and I'm certain that's what caused the control arm to bend along with the wheel.

I was right behind you two when that happened. From where I was, it looked like you locked up your wheels and slid into him. It was pretty exciting - I thought I was going to get collected.

I wouldn't get too upset about it. Sometimes it happens. Apologize, try not to do it again, remember when someone does it to you, and move on.

The driver of the green Miata is posting in the ChampCar forum.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I was right behind you two when that happened. From where I was, it looked like you locked up your wheels and slid into him. It was pretty exciting - I thought I was going to get collected.

I wouldn't get too upset about it. Sometimes it happens. Apologize, try not to do it again, remember when someone does it to you, and move on.

The driver of the green Miata is posting in the ChampCar forum.

Good find! I posted there.

Do you have video by chance?

3 hours ago, BigMonkey73 said:

Good find! I posted there.

Do you have video by chance?

Sorry, no. We didn't run video for the races this weekend.

On 4/1/2019 at 2:21 PM, BigMonkey73 said:

Yes, we had a trailer...but the tow vehicle was having transmission issues. We thought that the truck might have been overloaded, so we just drove the car home. Turns out that was not the issue and still had transmission problems.

So you drove your chumpcar race car from Austin to Dallas? Still have plates?

I used to drove my from Austin to HArris Hill, but stopped. Felt like everyone was reporting me to the police.

Ya the car is actually still street legal haha. Plates, inspection/registration and all !