N546RV

TDE on the big track, March 23/24

1 minute ago, hornetball said:

That culvert was a nasty surprise.  Got the car fixed overnight and was back on track the next morning though.  The "jump" was on Saturday.  The Miatapack Sunday.

That's certainly a bonus for driving a Miata. Do that in the NSX or Lexus and you're probably not back on track the next day.

And down the data rabbit hole I go...

For most of the weekend, once I got through Saturday morning and started getting some flow around the track, my best times were floating between mid-to-high 2:42s and low 2:43s. Not a ton of consistency, but that doesn't surprise me at a new track. But in my last session when I glanced at the Solo on the way back in, I'd put down a 2:41.7, almost a full second up on my previous best lap. Further investigation revealed it was the first hot lap of the session, which isn't where I typically set PBs. That got me curious enough to finally dig in and wrap my head around the data analysis stuff in Race Studio, and that pretty quickly put me into full-on nerdvana.

Long story short, I gained/lost all my time between the hairpin and ricochet. I carried more speed into the hairpin but still was able to brake later. Same thing with the toilet bowl - I stayed on the gas a little longer over the hill and went deeper on the brakes. I took the wider line through the turn (not really clipping the first apex) and got on the power a lot sooner. And then the other big loss came when I lifted early before ricochet for whatever reason on the slower lap. Not sure what the deal was there.

pf3BOP0.png

Run video follows. The fast lap from the data above starts about 2:45, while the slower one (second slowest of this run) starts at about 13:40. For my next trick I might try splitting the video and putting the fast and less-fast laps side-by side, I'm interested to visually see what some of the line variations look like from inside the car.

The 3.1 has a lot to learn, so first time on there is always a little rough. One of the biggest places you can gain time is by getting back to full throttle faster. You are spending too much time at partial throttle. The only places where you shouldn't be full throttle are under braking and around toilet bowl. Everywhere else on the track you should be at or working towards full throttle (get there as quickly as you can without upsetting the car or breaking the rear loose). I wouldn't be surprised if you knocked off 3-5s next time just from being more familiar with the track. You are at least 5mph too slow through most of the corners (you kept up the speed well at the bottom of rollercoaster and up hairpin). Your car has 2:30's in it (maybe sub 2:30 depending on tires), just keep whittling away at it and you'll be there before you know it.

With long tracks like the 3.1, there are so many places to make small mistakes that add up to lots of time that it is tough to set a flyer. Combine that with how seldom anyone runs the 3.1 and setting fast times there is tough. I've done more days on the 1.7 than laps on the 3.1. I know I've got another 2-3s to find there and that's the norm for the 3.1, just about everyone is still learning that configuration. 

If you double click the vertical scale the graphs should auto-scale which should help you see your speed and steering angle graphs a bit better.

Yeah, one recurring theme is me not quite working up full trust in getting back on the power, and it's reflected there - lots of spots where I start to get back into it, then sort of lose my nerve a bit and back off again before finally putting the pedal down.

It'll be interesting to look over my data when I run MSRH CW in May. That configuration is probably the one where I'm the most confident and familiar, so it'll be fun to see if the same throttle usage patterns present themselves.

On 3/25/2019 at 12:49 PM, hornetball said:

That culvert was a nasty surprise.  Got the car fixed overnight and was back on track the next morning though.  The "jump" was on Saturday.  The Miatapack Sunday.

Ouch -- granted you're not supposed to be out there -- but would be nice if those things were "marked" somehow -- you certainly had it under control enough to avoid it, if you knew it was there.