AhmadHasib

2002-2004 C5 Z06 vs 2005-2007 C6 Z51

I should get a prize for the most detailed thread in TJ history [emoji23]

Do you want: a Member's Only Jacket, a thick gold chain (with white tank top and cutoff jean shorts), or a Corvette branded folding walker (tennis ball's not included)? Also, make sure to learn how to use the manual door release in case you get stuck in your Vette with a dead battery.

Damn. Missed all the fun. And I thought this site was dead.

Damn. Missed all the fun. And I thought this site was dead.

Yeah, me too.  I think everyone trying to talk Ahmad out of buying the Vette missed this part in his first post:

"I've always had my eye on the C5 Corvettes. Love the way it looks and would be awesome to check it off my bucket list."

I'm in the same boat as a Miata owner. I often look at the C5 and C6 as a "wonder what it would be like..." daydreaming scenario.

Y'all Corvette fanboys need to wake up to reality. I've got video of my truck passing a Corvette in a Wal-Mart parking lot on a snowy day. That's proof, INCONTRAVERTIBLE PROOF, that my 01 Tundra is superior to your sissy boy Vette.

Proper track? Come on man, Cresson, H2R, etc are all proper tracks. There is no such thing as a "proper track", there are tracks that tend to favor certain styles of cars, but that doesn't make them not proper.

OK, I'll say it....Club/go kart track vs Race track!! I'm not knocking Cresson...it definitely fills the niche, cannot argue that...and it's fine to slide around and have fun. But I need MORE!!

not sure why nobody is talking about this but are you not worried about the corvette owner stigma?   

The amount of ridicule you get for owning a corvette is terrible.    

That's why I've got a Monte Carlo...lemme tell ya....that's got its own stigma LOL!!!

I know that whenever I sign up for a track day with it and all the guys with Porsche, Ferraris, Vettes, heck, even Miatas....they look at the entry list.....they probably scratch their head and say "WTF is a Monte Carlo doing out there????" LOL!!!

15191319-2003-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss-sf032f3e8aae786f82699cbaaa53b1995.jpg

BTW - I'm over the daily limit for hitting the "LIKE" button...dammit!!!!

Yeah, me too.  I think everyone trying to talk Ahmad out of buying the Vette missed this part in his first post:

"I've always had my eye on the C5 Corvettes. Love the way it looks and would be awesome to check it off my bucket list."

I'm in the same boat as a Miata owner. I often look at the C5 and C6 as a "wonder what it would be like..." daydreaming scenario.

Yeah, I feel you, but with me it's a 911  :cool:

911, 991, 996, 997.4.69.59 <----- that's right, right? LOL

You know why I haven't driven a Porche Cup??? Because I know I'd probably LOVE it....and it's not the initial cost of one (I'd buy used - even then, they are stupid priced to me).....it's the ridiculously expensive care / feeding / schedule of the driveline...NO THANKS!!

Yeah, I feel you, but with me it's a 911  :cool:

Why not both? I vacillate between the two, maybe if the $5k teacher raise goes through next year I'll pull the trigger on one or the other.

BTW - I'm over the daily limit for hitting the "LIKE" button...dammit!!!!

You jinxed me. 

post-1280-0-41014900-1551902298_thumb.png

Whoa whoa whoa guys!! Back on topic here....

BRZ vs Vette you mofos! Who's the real deal  @ Cresson?! Huh?

This would be more interesting if I already had my new BRZ :) Soon though! I want one..then I can be slow in a Vette and a Berz...so who laughs at who !!

I think we need to start a new time trial class called Vetts & Berz.

that would be a good class to watch for spectating.  

BRZ guys driving their faces off to set some laps. 

Corvette guys not even realize they made it on a race track, they think they're on their way to lubys after a stellar cars and coffee show.  

It's okay, they'll win anyway and tell all their other corvette buddies how much faster they are than a FULL PREP BRZ RACE CAR!!! 

I have not laughed this much in a while...The like quota is hitting hard today!

The Luby's line got me, Lobster :) I can see corvette guy's wife in a corvette jacket in the passenger seat, rambling about mac & cheese and sweet tea.

5c802c3eef22d_Likestrend.jpg

I think we need to start a new time trial class called Vetts & Berz.

That is FREAKING hilarious!! Where's Brad Flack when you need him!?!? I'm going to suggest this as a new TT class at the next SCCA Board Meeting....unless Sam beats me to it LOL!!!

And....you could handicap it and give the vettes a 1 lap head start....fair, right? LOL!!

I know that whenever I sign up for a track day with it and all the guys with Porsche, Ferraris, Vettes, heck, even Miatas....they look at the entry list.....they probably scratch their head and say "WTF is a Monte Carlo doing out there????" LOL!!!

Actually, I looked at it and said,"They're still making those?"

That is FREAKING hilarious!! Where's Brad Flack when you need him!?!? I'm going to suggest this as a new TT class at the next SCCA Board Meeting....unless Sam beats me to it LOL!!!

Brad drives a Vette so he's not exactly impartial, which might actually make that class more likely. Especially since they dropped pax modified and classes run heads up.

It might be fair if they have to swap tires. Brz's on 335's and Vettes on 225's. The poor BRZ would struggle just to turn so much rubber (and they'd only have a couple degrees of steering angle before rubbing) and the Vettes would smoke theirs everytime they looked too hard at the throttle.

You'd get brz that handle like vettes and corvettes that could only accelerate like brz.

Why not both? I vacillate between the two, maybe if the $5k teacher raise goes through next year I'll pull the trigger on one or the other.

1. I hope you get your raise, teachers need to be paid more!

2. Can't get anything till the '16 Miata is paid off. Then there might be some potential for a 911+Miata in my life. We'll see.

Actually, I looked at it and said,"They're still making those?"

LOL!!! Mine was built (from Howe) in 2003 - not sure how many times it has been rebodied (or if it has).

I own a NB and a 05 Vette.  Could track either, but for now it's NB.  Now you grew out of it and if you had to choice between the vette's it's a no brainer in my opinion. C5 Z06 alllllll dayyyyy  longgggg.  It's just more proven track wise and their mostly cheaper to acquire and maintain.  But if I could give my opinion on track cars; E36 M3.  There are DAMN reliable, I tracked my Dakar Yellow until 190k plus miles and it never quit.  I sold it to get another S2000; but honestly the E36 was better on track reliabilty/worry wise.  Stretching the budget a little further, 911.  Guess how many 911's I've seen dragged off track while I was instructing all these years. None.

I bought a C5Z to become my track car about 5 years ago.  I bought one of the nicest ones I could find, w/ low miles, stock ex. a K&N air filter.  It was a good street car, not so great track car, so I threw wheelbarrows of money at Texas Track Works and other vendors.

First problem was the seats, they're beyond terrible, so I got Recaro race buckets and 5 pt. harnesses.   Next, the cooling was as bad as I've seen in any car on track.  EVERYTHING overheated - engine coolant, engine/transmission/differential oil, and brakes.   Thousands of dollars of coolers and ducting later, that was fixed.   The transmission also failed along the way, necessitating a rebuild.  I also upgraded a lot of "nice to haves", namely the suspension, bigger front calipers, and a lot of other little stuff.   In the end, it was a great track car (possibly the best one I've had), but no fun at all to drive on the street, and it was no longer such a great bang for the buck.   I'd buy one again, but only if I could find one that someone else had similarly sorted for track use, and only for track use + getting to/from the track.

I'll also mention that I went to a '17 BRZ w/ Performance Package a couple cars later, and overall, it was a much better experience overall. It was far more fun on the street, cheap to run, and did well on track w/ minimal mods (mostly fat tires & wheels).  I wish it was more powerful, but everything is a compromise.

TIL a ~1:23 lap at 1.7 CCW MSR-C is a ripping lap for a C6... hah!

Seriously tho', the skill level at DEs varies a lot. Toyobarus keeping up with more impressive machinery does not mean they're fast in near stock form.

It's official, the Miata is sold! Buyer came by and picked it up today.

Have mixed feelings about it. It was the first project car of many that actually served a purpose. Put a lot of time, and even more money into it. It introduced to the track world and you lovely folks. It's served it's purpose for 3 years, and now it's time to move on to the next toy.

And the search begins! If anyone comes across a C5 Z06, keep me in mind.

post-1280-15519262233983_thumb.jpeg