Sign in to follow this  
rickyboycz

PCA 3/16 and 3/17

Hey guys,

I just signed up for the PCA event coming up in a couple weeks.  For anyone who has been out there, should I stay in Stillwater or Tulsa?  It seems those are the 2 spots that actually have some level of civilization after I retire from the track that evening.  Both seem about equal distance from the track so figured I'd start there.

Any insights as to good places to stay that are around decent places to eat would be appreciated.  I was even eyeballin' downtown Tulsa.

Regards

I've done stillwater and sand springs. Both ok. Stillwater has Eskimo Joe's. Sand springs has the rib crib (barfs). We drove to Tulsa and got spaghetti warehouse.lol

I don’t know much about Hallett - worth the 16hr round trip from Houston for a HPDE? PCA at Cresson 3.1 was worth the 8hr round trip drive - wondering how Hallett compares?

I don’t know much about Hallett - worth the 16hr round trip from Houston for a HPDE? PCA at Cresson 3.1 was worth the 8hr round trip drive - wondering how Hallett compares?

I would think it's worth the drive.. but then again, i'm biased. Hallett is my home track since I live only 45 minutes away.

To compare to cresson.... Hallett is a 1.8 mile track, so its easy to compare it to the 1.7 side of cresson.... In that regard, Hallett is slightly better... or more technical....  But not quite as technical as the 1.3....

Really not fair to compare it to the cresson 3.1.... that's a GREAT track and checks off a lot of the fun boxes since it has a bit of everything.

Worth it??? Yeah... Come on a long and try it out. Then you'll know for sure. :)

If it's the first or second time, worth the trip IMO even if it's for HPDE. Definitely worth it to race it. It's a magical place....unicorns all over.

On 3/5/2019 at 4:36 PM, Solo_S14 said:

After going to the track this past weekend I definitely would suggest you make the trek.  Hallett is challenging but a lot of fun.  I'll probably sign up for the PCA event out there in May as well.  This track will have to be part of my personal track rotation going forward.  It also technically satisfies my New Years resolution of visiting an out of state track this year.  😉

I will say that the tire walls were probably the more concerning aspect of the track.  I'm used to Cresson where there really aren't too many things to hit going off track...so I'm willing to push harder.  I definitely held back in some turns to prevent any bad incidents from occurring.  Regardless, would rather hit tires than the trees on the other side of the tires.  hahaha

If you do come out, don't do what I did...if available to you, ask for an instructor to ride with you early on.  I was able to figure out a lot of things on my own, but definitely was leaving a couple seconds out on the track.  In retrospect I wish I would have tapped the PCA staff on the shoulder and asked for an instructor to ride along.  Regardless, I still feel I turned in some respectable times for my stock Cayman (1:28.4).  I did watch a lot of videos.  

1:28.04 is a very respectable time.