This board will be going into read-only mode in about a week. After that, no new posts will be allowed. See this post for more: https://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/7871-the-end-of-an-era-is-upon-us/

This board will be going into read-only mode in about a week. After that, no new posts will be allowed. See this post for more: https://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/7871-the-end-of-an-era-is-upon-us/

edison_GTI

Brake Pads Experience Thread

All this talk of rotor wear makes me want to share my Carbone Lorraine CL RC-6e experience with you.

Wow, I thought everyone loved these but that seems particularly bad. I at least got 3+ pad sets out of the EBC Yellows before they wore out rotors and they are notorious for rotor wear.

he's not a brake assasin like you! plus he has 150whp less than you, prolly not a good reccomendation.

Bingo :)

I liked the Axxis ULTs. Slightly less brakes, but enough to do the job. Felt like I could trail-brake more aggressively and confidently. I do think I may have some pad buildup on the rotors, though, so we'll see what happens at TWS.

robert

he's not a brake assasin like you! plus he has 150whp less than you, prolly not a good reccomendation.

DTC-30 are for a lower heat range than what I run. However, even in John's old 140whp car I liked the DTC-60 more than the 30.

It's wild how some people can burn up DTC-60s in one day on their S2k, and I'm going to go almost 14 days on a set of the same front pad.

after the NASA TTB weekend with OEM in the front and HP + for the rear I ordere some XP10 carbotech to replace the OEMs.

We shall see.

But I liked the HP+ a lot!

after the NASA TTB weekend with OEM in the front and HP + for the rear I ordere some XP10 carbotech to replace the OEMs.

We shall see.

But I liked the HP+ a lot!

Did you see the thread on S2KCA for the annual Carbotech group buy? 25% off!

Just had my 1st experience with Carbotech XP10 / XP8 Combo after years on several of the Hawk compounds.

My initial impression:

- much improved initial bite ( as in it does not bite too much like several of the Hawk pads )

- increasing pedal pressure does not send you into flatspot mode

- much easier to trail brake

- much easier to keep the car balanced

- plenty of brake there if you need it

- zero hint of fade

- good release

- pain in that you have to put them on new or resurfaced rotors

- not as much dust

I think the Carbotech is a better match for my driving preferences

Just had my 1st experience with Carbotech XP10 / XP8 Combo after years on several of the Hawk compounds.

Interesting, I liked everything you had to say... sounds like what I may have been looking for. I like the HP+ but I think their initial bite is kind of strong. I am on the Axxis ULTs right now, and they seem to work okay, but I've got a terrible pulse that I think is a result of having overheated them and transferred material to the rotor. I'm semi-tempted to give them another try, OTOH I don't really wear brakes out often enough to want to risk having brakes that feel like this again (I'm too cheap to just throw them out if I don't like them).

robert

Interesting, I liked everything you had to say... sounds like what I may have been looking for. I like the HP+ but I think their initial bite is kind of strong. I am on the Axxis ULTs right now, and they seem to work okay, but I've got a terrible pulse that I think is a result of having overheated them and transferred material to the rotor. I'm semi-tempted to give them another try, OTOH I don't really wear brakes out often enough to want to risk having brakes that feel like this again (I'm too cheap to just throw them out if I don't like them).

robert

if you like the HP+ and the ULT's i'd suggest trying the StopTech Street Performance pads. i just put some on the SE-R and took it out for some laps at H2R this weekend. i was very happy with them, not quite as much initial bite as the HP+'s i used to run on the 240's stock brake setup but really good modulation and release.

I had been running the XP-10/8 combo on my 61% front weighted MINI and it was fine when I was slower. But at threshold braking the 8s were too much for the rear and ABS Ice Mode ensued too often. Basically the bias was wrong and I had to move down a notch for the rear, I am sure the 10/8 combo is perfect for a more reasonable front to back weight ratio.

Overall, I really like the Carbos, but they are damn pricey.

My initial impression:

- much improved initial bite ( as in it does not bite too much like several of the Hawk pads )

- increasing pedal pressure does not send you into flatspot mode

- much easier to trail brake

- much easier to keep the car balanced

- plenty of brake there if you need it

- zero hint of fade

- good release

- pain in that you have to put them on new or resurfaced rotors

- not as much dust

I think the Carbotech is a better match for my driving preferences

+1 on the XP10/XP8 for the S2000, the only thing that hurts is the high price, but there is a 25% off group buy that closes march 1

here is the link http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=41800

You guys need to try PFC-01 pads.

I was going to say the same thing, except 06. I used the 01 a while back, switched to Pagid for a bit, and am now back to PFC but using the 06 for about two years now. Two years of track and street driving on the same set. This is an amazing endurance pad, and any of you who have been in the car with me know I'm a fairly late braker. blink.gif

For the 1.8L front pads...

http://www.ogracing.com/performance-friction-0635-06-13-44-racing-pad-06-compound

Rears and 1.6 are also on that site. When you call, ask for Brian or Matt. Tell them I said, "hi!". It won't get you a discount, but it'll make me feel better for not dropping in last time I was in DC. rolleyes.gif

-Michael

I have nothing bad to say about the Carbotech XP10 and XP 8 pads I've been running for the past 5 months.

They are long-lasting, rotor-friendly, easy to modulate, not corrosive to the paint on my wheels or car, and quieter when driving on the street than they have any right to be.