edison_GTI

Brake Pads Experience Thread

For google / posterity, the longevity of DTC60/30 at COTA..

1999 Miata (SM trim) - 2250 wet weight (no driver)

Fronts: DTC-60

Rears: DTC-30

Track: COTA

Pads were brand new at start of the 8 hour race. Pads were completely gone at the end of the day.

This was my first event on the PFC08s and I’m mixed on my thoughts. Definitely good grab, but in my case they have very little modulation and the release isn’t as clean as the XP12/10 combo I was running. Never had any fade, but they got real ’grabby’ once they got hot. Once hot, small amounts of pedal produced uneven grab (side to side and front to back). It wasn’t bad enough that I couldn’t just drive through it, but it would torque the car to one side or the other. Once they cooled, everything evened out again. Never saw that on the Carbos, and I’d probably go back to them if they lasted longer. I’ll give these a shot for a couple of more events and maybe they’ll change now that they’re solidly bedded to the rotors.

Update a year later - turns out most of the bad behavior I saw with the PFC08s was due to calipers needing rebuild. The PFCs are throwing out a lot of heat and it just cooked a set of calipers that were getting long in the tooth any way. Once I swapped to my rebuilt calipers and threw on a new set of rotors, I’m now a happy man. Got 6 weekends now on this set of pads and they’ve still got 2-3 more left.

Stoptech Sport pads are my current favorite. Been running them on the S2K and Lexus. So far I have not experienced anything but good braking. They do dust like crazy, though.

Thread resurrection...

2004 M3 at weights ranging from 2800 to 2950 lbs. Nitto NT01s and a stint on used Toyo RRs and new Hankook C51s. 4 wheel stoptech ST40/355mm BBK and brake ducting.

First a question - thoughts on whether Hawk DTC60s will be good for my setup?

Here is my pad history...

PF01s - Street driving - they will murder your rotor. Highly abrasive when cold. Very little wear on track. I suspect that I am staying within the temp range. When I had PF01s on my stock E90 M3 with stock brakes, I vaporized a set in 7 session. A lot of bite...will throw you forward harder than most pads but they have excellent release which makes trail braking much easier. There is a significant advantage in braking zones. Typically 4-6 weekends.

Stoptech SR34s - its like a PF01 except they are 2/3 the price. I suspect these are PF01 clones. Crappy part is they are only available for Stoptech caliper pad shapes. If you drive an older 911, 928, 944, or 968...you might be able to use the pad for the ST40 caliper.

Porterfield R-4 - Got some on eBay for $40 (again...same pad as older Porsches). Tried them. They are OK. They were not able to overpower the Hankook C51s and activate ABS unless I was a total idiot. Braking zones were much longer. Lasted about 4 weekends.

HPS - I had these a long time ago on my 330ci. They are not track pads. Get them too hot...pad material no longer exists. The backing plate can effectively slow the car...maybe a plus for this pad.

Pagid Yellows - Lower bite than the PF01s. If I had to guess, these have a lower operating temp range. If you can keep them in that range then these will last a long time. I got similar life as the PF01s - 4-6 full weekends (2-3mm wear per weekend)

Stoptech Street Performance Pads - They are OK but once you overheat the pads they turn into useless bricks. Usable in a pinch - probably a little less performance than the R4s except you HAVE to keep temps under control. I could drive a smaller venue like the Milwaukee Mile w/ infield with these and have no issues. If I put on SR34s, I would easily run 2 seconds faster per lap.

Hawk DTC-70 - At Road America in my E90 M3, I smoked a set of these in a day with dual driving duty. Road America is by far the worst track for brakes I've been to. You can hit 140mph on 3 straights and 3 hard down hill braking zones (one is 145mph to 45mp downhill). Not too different from PF01s. Probably just burned these up from overheating. Can't be too critical since we burned up Pagid Yellows in 1 day too!

Carbotech XP?? - At Road America in my E90 M3. Overnighted these out of desperation. These were crap for track duty. They didn't even last half a day.

BTW...I estimate brake cooling extends the life of my pads by over 50%. I've ran one set of SR34s for 10 weekends. Just don't have enough data to say 10 weekends will be a consistent number.

1 hour ago, z28pwr said:

@robertcope Would you still recommend the Stop Tech 309's? How did they do with the NT01's? 

I run the 309s on the S2000. I am about to put another set on it. IMHO, they do great in that application, most recently at ECR w/ A052s on the car. I think much more speed/weight/tire and I would probably need something else, but I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, robertcope said:

I run the 309s on the S2000. I am about to put another set on it. IMHO, they do great in that application, most recently at ECR w/ A052s on the car. I think much more speed/weight/tire and I would probably need something else, but I could be wrong.

That should work for my application. Thanks

I just finished up using a set of Cool Carbon Street Sport pads. 2005 BMW Z4 ~200hp and 3000lbs. Part of that time was on Michelin MPSS and part on Bridgestone RE71Rs. I was really happy with the modularity they provided and I never had issues getting outside of their temperature window. 

Only problem is that I chewed threw them in DE 3 weekends and they were $250 for all 4 corners. That's by far the shortest life I've gotten out of a set of pads. Debating if I want to buy another set or see if I can find something with a better consumable cost but similar performance.

1 minute ago, SikedSyko said:

Only problem is that I chewed threw them in DE 3 weekends and they were $250 for all 4 corners. That's by far the shortest life I've gotten out of a set of pads. Debating if I want to buy another set or see if I can find something with a better consumable cost but similar performance.

I might suggest the StopTech Sport pads. I use them on my S2000 and have no complaints. They're cheap and seem to work well for me on RE-71R. Looks like they make them for your ride, about $120 for the set.