EricJ

Jalop Article with Pictures - 1st Houses going up

I feel like we've gotten better pictures from @@N546RV, including some with actual houses in them.

Either build the fucking subdivision or keep it a track. Developer is a fucking idiot. Nobody is going to buy a house with the track stuff in the back yard, ESPECIALLY if they open the short course again.

I wonder what house is going to get built on the sinkhole?

I was on the short course once in 2000 for a California Superbike School event.  Fast exit through turn 3 isn't rewarded in that config....nor is an inside pass going in.

It was a drag race down the front straight, make a U-turn, run through some S's, make a U-turn, and drag race down the straight again.  I'd sign up and run it though before passing final judgement.  

Any of you DFW'ers remember Green Valley Raceway? It was a local drag strip in Smithfield (NRH/Keller area). I'd go out there in my high school (pre-racing days) years and watch folks drag race. You could hear them running on the weekend from our patio...was a glorious, but run down, place! So - you guessed it...suburban sprawl...now its covered by a bunch of houses...we'd still go out there and check it out before it was totally gone, I used to have this thing for abandoned places. Trans Am even raced there back in the day...progress, eh? Or regression....

Any of you DFW'ers remember Green Valley Raceway? It was a local drag strip in Smithfield (NRH/Keller area). I'd go out there in my high school (pre-racing days) years and watch folks drag race. You could hear them running on the weekend from our patio...was a glorious, but run down, place! So - you guessed it...suburban sprawl...now its covered by a bunch of houses...we'd still go out there and check it out before it was totally gone, I used to have this thing for abandoned places. Trans Am even raced there back in the day...progress, eh? Or regression....

Drag raced there a few times before it closed.  Here's a cool old video link my son sent me a while back of the 1984 Trans Am race there...

The owner is considering opening the short course. I don’t think I’d want to drive on the short course

Either build the fucking subdivision or keep it a track. Developer is a fucking idiot. Nobody is going to buy a house with the track stuff in the back yard, ESPECIALLY if they open the short course again.

I wonder what house is going to get built on the sinkhole?

I was on the short course once in 2000 for a California Superbike School event.  Fast exit through turn 3 isn't rewarded in that config....nor is an inside pass going in.

It was a drag race down the front straight, make a U-turn, run through some S's, make a U-turn, and drag race down the straight again.  I'd sign up and run it though before passing final judgement.  

I've run the short course a couple times.  SCCA used to have to run it on race days when they didn't have enough corner workers to staff the long course.

I also ran it at my SCCA comp school.  I had a ton of fun running 2-wide through the entire back section with Adam Poland in his Spec Miata and Derek Kulach in one of their 350Zs..   

My first on track experience happened at TWS, with many HPDEs and OTDs to follow. Many fond memories of cars and laps gone by. On the bright side, there's COTA :)

On 2/8/2019 at 10:08 AM, phm14 said:

My first on track experience happened at TWS, with many HPDEs and OTDs to follow. 

Popped your cherry, then?

6 hours ago, Hastarock said:

How many of us spun at T2?

I don't think I ever spun at T2. My first spin ever was at T4 with Ron Vaughn instructing.

I wish I had on video the S2K invasion to TDE at TWS several years ago (blue group).  I felt like it was staged for a movie...they were spinning out everywhere, but especially often at T15 (CW) on the transition, and one very bad off+crash in front of me at T7.  I've thought of them as Spin 2000's ever since.  I figure the S2k must be a finely balanced drivers car, that doesn't put up with foolish inputs, as a novice/intermediate driver will tend to have on occasion.

I don't think I've spun a car since 2004ish, at a SCCA autox in the TMS bus lot in my '99 A4 quattro, middle of a 90mph sweeper.  Overheated my falken Azenis.

I did run out of front grip on T12 (CCW) on the R1, and didn't have the talent to continue the turn at 100mph+ so I stood it up and did some offroading before I lowsided.

I've come close spinning countless times, and been off track a time or two (brake overheat).  It's hard to spin a Mazdaspeed3...they put up with all of your BS driving. I'm due for for a proper spin in the Camaro...but it's pretty darn forgiving.

I'll let my first post to this site be on this thread.  I use to run SCCA in a F150 2002 V6 5spd with a full lightning suspension.  The front end was a lot lighter and the truck tracked surprisingly well.  I always wanted to make it up there but never did.  I got out of all auto stuff in 06 when I got married and started having kids. 

I've watched a TON of videos from there though.  RIP

somewhere between 1 and 2. God I was awful. lol This is blue group. 

On 3/31/2019 at 11:40 PM, Hastarock said:

How many of us spun at T2?

not I!  

I went off between T1 and T2 my first weekend at the track ever, causing $6K in damages to Snoopy......that didn't make me quit the addiction! 

On 3/31/2019 at 11:36 PM, Hastarock said:

Popped your cherry, then?

Yes Sir, way back in '08. Still can't get laid, though...