V6Donut

NASA CRESSON MARCH 9-10 1.7 CCW

I heard that it is undriveable in the rain

The dry line gets as slick as ice in the wet, but there is a wet line and you can make it around the track (slowly). It can be fun to drive sideways around most of the track at low speeds. You don't want much traffic but usually the conditions keep many away so it all works out.

I heard that it is undriveable in the rain

That was my point, I’ve driven on ice that had more grip. The wet line can be better, but you’ve still got to cross the dry line in every corner at some point, so any extra speed you might’ve gained you give it right back. 1.3 is slightly better than the 1.7, but I’m talking very slightly. I can still have fun playing drift car, but I’ve had 5 rain days in the last year and have seen no difference in grip between worn NT01s and brand new RS-RRs. Super Swampers probably would’ve been the best choice.

Well, not the weekend I was hoping for.  Was excited to hit the track with my XFactor motor.  I did not set my expectation too high though, because I do not know Cresson.  All expectations came crashing down though when I had my first major accident.  Was able to get the car up and running with control arm, ball joint and damper replacement, though the alignment was challenging because of the bent subframe.  Had to adjust out all the toe on passenger side, so i could square up the front toe.  Thankfully, I have a splined steering wheel, so I was able to simply mount the wheel 60deg off to had it pointing straight.  Car was decent under the circumstances and I was able to run a clean race for the 50minute "enduro" on Sunday, finishing 9th after starting from 15th.  Now I need to tear the car apart to properly fix it.  ?

The accident:

2 minutes ago, BobKid said:

Big time bummer. That’s the worst spot on the whole track for 3 wide, especially when everyone wants the left hand apex. Glad it ended up relatively okay. 

Yeah, hind sight I had the time to execute the pass on the lap car, but at the time, I didn't know for sure, so steered wide to cover up the pass  lane and give myself the opportunity to pass the lap car if I felt I could do it safely.  I obviously didn't cover up the outside well enough, and Vinnie is willing to take on more risk.  What is interesting is the lock-up that occurs before any contact.  I am thinking Porter came in hot before the incident even occurred.  *shrug*

Guest lobster
30 minutes ago, Boostedtaco said:

Fun weekend, glad the weather held out. And as a nasa cresson tradition, i grace you a Lobsterthings sequel, more like a short clip.

https://youtu.be/oxt2ce5Gudk

yep went off on saturday,   wasn't feeling well stopped driving after that. 

did better on sunday.   

skipping sessions did enable me to get some footage of the entire TT group  coming around big bend. 

1 hour ago, Dennis said:

Bryan.. your Miata was just looking too nice.. better keep that rippled fender on there.. Corner one was interesting all weekend: 

So did Barry (#33) seriously think he was going to get away with that.  In my opinion that was a extremely extremely high-risk attempt.

The view from my car looked like there was contact so I was shocked to hear otherwise.  This angle is far back enough to see how that attempted pass wasn't really possible.  Also looks and sounds like he hit someone going back onto the track surface.

While we are sharing #33 videos, here's my contribution.  This happened early in race 3. Sad part is, I came into pit after Race #1 and told my buddies how #33 was going to cause a lot of accidents this weekend.  I drove the same line with same braking points every time when he was behind me, there is no reason anyone would expect a pass that late to work - especially because I was next to the curbing by the time he made his dive.  The rear wheel miraculously held air although it was shattered.

1 hour ago, Matt93SE said:

this guy has a license how?

Ask the SCCA, it’s where he came from ?

but really though, it was bad across the board this weekend even at the pointy end due to lapped traffic.

9 hours ago, Hollywood said:

Ask the SCCA, it’s where he came from ?

but really though, it was bad across the board this weekend even at the pointy end due to lapped traffic.

I try to avoid mid pack folks, especially those in SM because it's usually hack drivers with a decent car/engine..  hard to get around on power alone, and they're so 'unpredictable' in the turns you're afraid to get near them.