BigMonkey73

The Driver's Edge - March 2nd / 3rd

Roll call! Who's signed up? Think it will be too cold?

I'm in Yellow and am going to see if I can get a test for Red group. Hope I can keep off the lawn !!

I'm in for yellow. Need to get started working on the car next weekend or two, it's time for some suspension work, and new coilovers while I'm tearing things apart.

I'll be there, instructing. First time out after Jacob was born!

With the BRZ sorted hopefully...if not, I'll be tempting fate hardcore in the NBeater :)

I'll be at COTA watching the Pirelli/Blancpain race with the wife.

Make sure to catch the X-Factor TX crew in the TC category, all in Civic Sis!

First time there with TDE. Where is agood place to park? Do instructors have a designated spot like at Cresson?

First time there with TDE. Where is agood place to park? Do instructors have a designated spot like at Cresson?

There's an area right by the clubhouse reserved for instructors. Also seems like some of the "covered"* parking closest to the clubhouse gets used by instructors too, I'm not sure if that's official or unofficial since I'm not a member of that exclusive club.

I'm sitting on a bus right now but I'll bang out a parking map (to the best of my knowledge) when I get to work. I love Rick and all but the parking maps he sends out in the event emails are comically bad.

* I say "covered" because the majority of the awnings are gone after assorted storms, which includes most/all of the spaces towards the clubhouse.

Here's my quick map of what is typical. Red areas are reserved, yellow are the "good" spots. You can park elsewhere, just don't block garages or travel lanes.

I should have put some yellow triangles on the lower sides of the garages and canopies, too.

5c617f0c5cb3e_ScreenShot20190211at75009A

Here's my quick map of what is typical. Red areas are reserved, yellow are the "good" spots. You can park elsewhere, just don't block garages or travel lanes.

I should have put some yellow triangles on the lower sides of the garages and canopies, too.

5c617f0c5cb3e_ScreenShot20190211at75009A

or maybe a rhombus or two.

Dammit, Robert beat me to the punch. But I made mine all fancy with like transparency and stuff. I also saved the original PSD so more stuff can be added if need be.

D0V5CkL.jpg

Damn, guys - very nice!  Someone needs to give Rick some pointers!  :wink:

I've raced in Houston, but we always had a garage.  I'm sure it's too late, but can you rent garages? 

Please come by and say hi.  Beers at 5?!  I miss my Houston peeps after the glue that held many of us together died (TWS RIP).  I'm in a Silverstone e92 M3 - #187.

Cheers,

-Daniel

Dammit, Robert beat me to the punch. But I made mine all fancy with like transparency and stuff. I also saved the original PSD so more stuff can be added if need be.

D0V5CkL.jpg

MAN!! That Image is old - there are still canopies over parking spots, and the observation deck has a roof !!

MAN!! That Image is old - there are still canopies over parking spots, and the observation deck has a roof !!

Yeah MSRH looks like a shit hole lately, I'm embarrassed to bring guests sometimes. The track definitely doesn't compensate for it (unlike TWS)...

Yeah MSRH looks like a shit hole lately, I'm embarrassed to bring guests sometimes. The track definitely doesn't compensate for it (unlike TWS)...

$#!+ hole might be a bit harsh - I mean it's a race track, and they cant all be COTA, right? But seriously - some shade that you don't have to bring with you, tie down, and then chase when it blows away is nice to have in May June July  ...Texas most months.  Also, I'll never be embarrassed as anyone's guest ;) I'd love to make it out there with you guys one of these member days...Soon hopefully. My son is now 6 weeks old, and Mom is cool with me taking some time to play :) 

Going to be down in Houston the week of the event....considering it....would need to store my trailer at the track....I'm sure that can be arranged.....will noodle it. I've got a few races there later this year, would be good to hone my skills there....

Going to be down in Houston the week of the event....considering it....would need to store my trailer at the track....I'm sure that can be arranged.....will noodle it. I've got a few races there later this year, would be good to hone my skills there....

You're always welcome to come down on a member day, that'd _probably_ be better to learn the track on. Not that I don't love TDE.

You're always welcome to come down on a member day, that'd _probably_ be better to learn the track on. Not that I don't love TDE.

I will keep that in mind, thank you! How about a members' weekend? I figure if I'm making the haul...might as well make a weekend out of it, two track days, etc...I've only been there for one event, I was low 1:40's or maybe, just maybe high 1:39's....either way, I know I was leaving time on the table!

I will keep that in mind, thank you! How about a members' weekend? I figure if I'm making the haul...might as well make a weekend out of it, two track days, etc...I've only been there for one event, I was low 1:40's or maybe, just maybe high 1:39's....either way, I know I was leaving time on the table!

Yeah, definitely a weekend would make sense. Two weekends in March, 16-17 and 23-24.

Yeah, definitely a weekend would make sense. Two weekends in March, 16-17 and 23-24.

Of course - LOL....signed up for EA at COTA that first weekend and then the next weekend is Indy at COTA...sort of "working" that event....ie - working on a story for our mag.

$#!+ hole might be a bit harsh - I mean it's a race track, and they cant all be COTA, right? But seriously - some shade that you don't have to bring with you, tie down, and then chase when it blows away is nice to have in May June July  ...Texas most months.  Also, I'll never be embarrassed as anyone's guest ;) I'd love to make it out there with you guys one of these member days...Soon hopefully. My son is now 6 weeks old, and Mom is cool with me taking some time to play :) 

The word I'd use in regards to MSRH would be "concerning." I was surprised when I showed up for an event last fall and found almost al the canopies gone, a roofless building, and most of the roof over the "observation deck" missing. At that point it was "well obviously they had a damaging high wind event here, that sucks." Then I came back a few months later and nothing had changed.

Stuff being damaged is one thing. Stuff remaining damaged, with no apparent attempt at repair work, hints at a lack of either fund or willingness to get the work done, either of which are, again, concerning.

Like you, I'm not ashamed to bring anyone out there, but it would be nice to get back all the shade there used to be for the spectators.

Car's almost ready. Suspension stuff is all back together, I just have to put back some wheelwell liners and undertrays and stuff, then get the ride height set. Tuesday it's off to Track Time for an alignment.

I also got my new AiM Solo 2 DL all wired up today. Got it tapped into the CAN bus for lots of fancy data. I'm looking forward to being able to see my run videos with timely data on throttle/brake/steering inputs and stuff.

This is sort of a "debug" page I put together to verify ECU inputs - steering angle top right, brake pressure bottom right, throttle pedal position bottom left, and hopefully top left is self-explanatory.

Just a heads up, I'm planning on driving out from Dallas on Friday morning. Not exactly certain what time I'll arrive in Houston area...but I'm guessing 1PM..ish..maybe later.

I am a BBQ fan and am planning to have lunch at Killen's BBQ in Pearland in case anyone is interested in meeting up. Then after lunch I'll continue the drive to Angelton and rest up for the weekend.

LMK!