IanIsInGarage

I'm finally upgrading to tow status!

So after my suspension refresh one thing was that the truck had -1.29 front camber :sad: . The shop said I needed to install camber bolts on front of truck upper control arms. Well replacing those arms was freaking nightmare so I was super sad to hear I needed to swap bolts which would have been 3 hours alone.  Today I looked and noticed by ride height was off on front which is controlled by torsion bars :ohmy: . So I measured and it was .75in off.  Then like lightening it dawns on me; the alignment shop didn't set torsion like I asked so I bet raising ride height fixes camber.  Raise it up about 1.25in and leveled vehicle. Went to alignment shop and they try to tell me it wasn't going to change camber and to get it on rack (no point according to them) it was $20 :rolleyes: .  So I tell the guy "Lets make a bet my friend. You put it on rack and if it fixed camber I taught you a thing about torsion and it's free.  If my camber is still off, i'll gladly pay $20."   Muahaha yup I was right and off I go with a perfectly aligned tow truck.   :cool:

post-1828-0-55619300-1549911845_thumb.jpg

Alright my final chapter is closed on this bad boy.  Yesterday I did my first trial tow and went 60ish miles towing Miata. Tranny temps on truck 160F; so flawless.  It was only 50 degrees outside so summer will bring temps up; but I have a feeling it'll be ok.  The most surprising thing is my rig is perfect feeling; plenty of power and never feels strained in braking or accelerating. 

26.72mpg when driving under 20% throttle and 65mph; 90% highway.

12.25mpg when driving under 40% throttle and 70mph; 90% highway.

The non towing mileage is a little cray cray; since factory it's rated at 20mph.  The towing mpg I was hoping for above 10mpg after reading about smaller SUV engine tow rigs; ala V6.  I am just so happy!

post-1828-0-55752500-1551101451_thumb.jpg

post-1828-0-76452900-1551101585_thumb.jpg

That sure looks like a lot of trailer for that truck. Glad it feels good!

If you have the change, get a tongue scale and figure out where to put that car. When I did it, I was surprised to find I needed to move the car back quite a lot, 1-2' or so.

Right. Funny thing is of the Ford Explorer Sport Tracs this was the unicorn years that had a 5000lb tow and used a 4.0L V6 from good ole Germany.  I've done brake tests and it will stop in a hurry; don't worry my #1 priority was test test and more tests. I want safety.  Next track event I will badger the 50 tow rigs and I'm sure someone will have a tongue scale to see how my eye balling, tire temp, leaf spring and gut feeling did.

. Next track event I will badger the 50 tow rigs and I'm sure someone will have a tongue scale to see how my eye balling, tire temp, leaf spring and gut feeling did.

Are you in Houston? I've got a tongue scale stashed somewhere in my garage. I can dig it out if you want to borrow it.

Alright my final chapter is closed on this bad boy.  Yesterday I did my first trial tow and went 60ish miles towing Miata. Tranny temps on truck 160F; so flawless.  It was only 50 degrees outside so summer will bring temps up; but I have a feeling it'll be ok.  The most surprising thing is my rig is perfect feeling; plenty of power and never feels strained in braking or accelerating. 

26.72mpg when driving under 20% throttle and 65mph; 90% highway.

12.25mpg when driving under 40% throttle and 70mph; 90% highway.

The non towing mileage is a little cray cray; since factory it's rated at 20mph.  The towing mpg I was hoping for above 10mpg after reading about smaller SUV engine tow rigs; ala V6.  I am just so happy!

Ian - you might want to cross the tow straps also (ie: right wheel to left buckle, etc). This gives you a little more lateral stability with the car on the trailer. Otherwise, it looks good. Did you have any trouble clearing the bottom of the car on the ramps?

The thread isn't marked as SOLD, so it might still be available:

https://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/6698-tow-dolly-for-sale/?hl=%2Bdolly&do=findComment&comment=109778

I know the S2000 is not supposed to be on a tow dolly or flat-towed. The exact reason, I don't know, but probably has to do with low ground clearance and possible damage to the diff. How the Miata can tolerate such modes of transportation and how it's different from the S2000 in this regard, I don't know.

Personal disclaimer: I wouldn't use anything but a trailer to get my car to/from the track, unless driving it under its own power. This is my personal position and I'm in no way condemning other modes of transportation provided they are safe and don't damage the car.

I flat towed my S2000's for years around Texas. The transmission does not get lubricated unless the motor is running. I never went further than 200 miles and was told to run the engine for every fillup and it should be fine. Tow dollies are handy since they are small and can be easily used for other vehicles that cannot be moved under their own power. YMMV!

Ian - you might want to cross the tow straps also (ie: right wheel to left buckle, etc). This gives you a little more lateral stability with the car on the trailer. Otherwise, it looks good. Did you have any trouble clearing the bottom of the car on the ramps?

Thanks for that heads up I will DEF do that next time; since you did this I'm assuming no issues with this knocking out alignment.  No issue clearing ramps; but I discovered I can only lower car .5 inch  otherwise won't clear side fenders on trailer. Which is fine, I no longer feel a dropped car actually helps performance.  

Are you in Houston? I've got a tongue scale stashed somewhere in my garage. I can dig it out if you want to borrow it.

What a nice offer I live in Dallas though. I will be at next Edge Addicts event at COTA March 15, 16th if anyone had one I'd be super grateful.

Thanks for that heads up I will DEF do that next time; since you did this I'm assuming no issues with this knocking out alignment.  No issue clearing ramps; but I discovered I can only lower car .5 inch  otherwise won't clear side fenders on trailer. Which is fine, I no longer feel a dropped car actually helps performance.  

Never had any issues with it messing up the alignment. Also, if you want to go lower on the car, just put a couple 2x6's on the trailer and drive onto them. That will give you more clearance over the fenders (ask me how I know).