BigMonkey73

In the market, truck for towing / daily driver

My Vette has been pulling double duty for several years as my daily and track toy. I had a Blazer for a while as a backup, but I mostly drove the Vette all the time.

I'm ready now to get another vehicle that will serve as a daily. I am tempted to get something fun like a BRZ, but it makes more sense to get a pickup truck that I can daily but also use for towing. I have a feeling that later this year I'll be getting a trailer because I want to put race seats and a harness bar in the Vette and won't be street legal anymore. (I really don't want to swap seats every freaking track event). Plus it will be nice to be able to bring the car home when it inevitably breaks at the track yet again vs waiting for a tow truck.

Anyway, I've been doing a little research here and there...and am down to 3 trucks that I think would be best.

Toyota Tundra

Chevrolet Silverado

Ford F-150

All V8 of course, but kind of torn as to which one. I'm really leaning towards the Tundra right now. Seems like the most comfortable and has the edge with towing capacity for gasoline engines (don't want diesel). Only downside seems to be the crappy MPG.

What would you guys recommend?

The only thing I'd say about the Tundra is check which years the frame rot applies and whether the frame replacement has been completed. All are good options, all are expensive.

I found this one today on FB.

I’m window shopping now but this really has spiked my interest.

post-1170-15475699153869_thumb.jpg

post-1170-15475699309431_thumb.png

"max tow" isn't available on the V8 F150 (it still has a pretty good tow capacity tho) the 3.5EB is amazing.  

I looked at all those trucks as well and got the F150.  

(btw @@Hollywood has a well cared for 2016 F150 Ecoboost available i think) 

Depending on traffic/wind/elevation I will get anywhere from 14 - 17mpg towing my open trailer with my corvette on it. (17 - 25 when i commute downtown) 

Welp, I guess I didn't read enough. I really thought the Tundra was the max tow king. Guess not!

I'll have to do some more reading on the Ford.

Thanks, lobster. Does Hollywood have a thread for this truck ?

My Vette has been pulling double duty for several years as my daily and track toy. I had a Blazer for a while as a backup, but I mostly drove the Vette all the time.

I'm ready now to get another vehicle that will serve as a daily. I am tempted to get something fun like a BRZ, but it makes more sense to get a pickup truck that I can daily but also use for towing. I have a feeling that later this year I'll be getting a trailer because I want to put race seats and a harness bar in the Vette and won't be street legal anymore. (I really don't want to swap seats every freaking track event). Plus it will be nice to be able to bring the car home when it inevitably breaks at the track yet again vs waiting for a tow truck.

Anyway, I've been doing a little research here and there...and am down to 3 trucks that I think would be best.

Toyota Tundra

Chevrolet Silverado

Ford F-150

All V8 of course, but kind of torn as to which one. I'm really leaning towards the Tundra right now. Seems like the most comfortable and has the edge with towing capacity for gasoline engines (don't want diesel). Only downside seems to be the crappy MPG.

What would you guys recommend?

3.5L EB F150. V8 sounds great but is annihilated by turbo torque when towing, no comparison.

Best towing capacity in the 1/2 ton truck market is the 3.5 Ecoboost F150. Mileage is good, too. 

^^

And yes, I have a well cared for black 2016 F150 3.5 EB Max Tow package (11,500 lbs), spray in bed liner, heated seats all that jazz. PM for details.

I've got a friend who picked up a used Cayenne GTS as a tow vehicle, it's a great buy and obnoxiously nice. He's going to run it at the Porsche Club autox a couple of times for the lolz (they are better on track than they have any right to be).

I found this one today on FB.

I’m window shopping now but this really has spiked my interest.

attachicon.gifIMG_8170.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8169.PNG

This is more akin to my way of thinking.

I too want a truck, but since I'm not baller status I just want the cheapest, roadworthy, decent platform. That I can daily when I don't want to take the 'stang, fish & hunt out of, and haul large stuff from hardware store.   So used 2-door shortbed, shortbox that's easy to park and zip around in traffic makes sense. Would be thinking that if/when I get to trailer status it would be a light / open railed aluminum thing. I.e. spend money on trailer so you don't end up going to BIG truck route to drag a big box around.  

@@BigMonkey73, Also consider gas tank capacity. I have a '16 3.5EB F150 with the optional 36 gallon tank (standard tank is 28 gal i think). One of my favorite features of the truck. I get 650 miles per tank commuting and it's great for towing in that I don't have to keep an eye on the fuel gauge. I usually need a personal break before the truck needs gas. Towing my open steel trailer from Houston to Dallas I got 14 mpg, my mixed commute is 19 mpg.

The 2016's are a "little" cheaper resale value because they had the last of the generation 1 3.5L ecoboost.  2017+ got the gen2 revised motor. (10 more horsepower & 50ftlbs more torque) 17+ also get the 10speed which is super radical. 

I've been happy with my 17 F150 ecoboost max tow package. Using it to tow open Trailex. One feature I use more than I thought is the trailer backup assist. Have had a couple of warranty issues - the rear camera failed and the dealer took a long time to diagnose and repair. Then the plastic sump pan began to leak, and was replaced.   

Well gang, it looks like I may not need a truck after all. Although your feedback certainly has convinced me that an F150 is the way to go should I choose to still get one.

I still need a daily, but now I think I can get a fun car instead of a truck.

The original reason being that I needed to tow my Vette because I intended to put some race seats in and didn't want to keep swapping them out between daily driving and track days. I was under the impression that you can't have a good race seat and still use OEM seat belts...thus I needed to tow the car to the track else risk serious injury with race seats in a collision.

However, today I learned that Marrad offers a custom ST3 seat which DOES allow both racing belts and OEM seat belts, can be installed with manual sliders, and I will sit in a lower position. This checks all of my boxes...which means I can put those seats in with a harness bar and still daily it if I want to.

Unless I find a reason not to, this is the way I'm going. I am going to double duty this beast till the wheels fall off !! 

I hear ya loud and clear. Even though of my 30+ car's I've owned 4 trucks; I hate owning a truck.  Some of us just can't find any joy in them.  Speaking of which i'm getting one for free; there is def a advantage to towing if your wanting the most out of safety in a track car.  Cage, seat with containment, no airbags and if you go lightweight street driving stinks.  I'm jealous of everyone who tracks their Vette's. Mines a pure street car.

Driving home on Sunday in a big cushy truck is one of the best feelings after 8 of my own driving sessions and sitting with 2 students over the weekend. But I found dd'ing a pickup to be a real pita.

I spent about half of last year idly researching trucks with the intention of buying one "eventually" for a new DD and occasional tow vehicle. I eventually came to the conclusion that in the used-truck time range I was looking at, there was hardly any appreciable* difference between any of the Big Three in terms of towing capability, gas mileage, or really anything else. About the only truck that didn't measure up was the Nissan Titan. The Tundra was capable, but the noticeably worse gas mileage turned me off; most of my driving is commuting, so that's a number I care about.

There were individual features I like for the different trucks, but again, nothing that made one a clear winner over the other. So when it came time to pull the trigger, I just decided to buy the first good deal I ran across. Looked at a bunch of F150s, a Ram or two, and then ran across a pretty smoking deal on a Silverado. And so I have a Silverado.

* Note that "appreciable" != "measurable." Sure, manufacturers are proud to say they have the best towing capacity or whatever, but if it's the difference between 10,000# and 11,000# it's not a difference that affects my daily life. Even if I tow my car on one of those Uhaul trailers that seems to be made of solid tungsten, I'll maybe have 6000# behind me.

Anyway, that's my perspective.

I'm only towing a miata on an open trailer and any of the 1/2 ton V8 trucks will do that with ease, my friend with a vette borrowed my setup and said it towed like there was nothing behind it.  I personally  went with the most space and capacity for the cheapest price and ended up with a gas Titan XD base model and have been very happy with it.  It's surprisingly well equipped, better than the big 3 work trucks, and the non-carpet floor has grown on me so that I actually prefer it in a truck.  They have pretty insane discounts from time to time and a 5 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty.

I love the piece of mind of being able to get home no matter what, and it's comfy to drive in general.  The only thing I dislike about DD it is the size when parking in smaller lots/spaces, there are some places I just can't realistically take it, but that comes up once a month maybe since my wife and I have the ability to use her car.  If you keep an eye on cars.com or autotrader and are patient you can easily find a new 1/2 ton V8 for well under 30k, I see XD's around 25-26k regularly.  Doing it again I'd get an extended cab instead of the crew cab, modern extended cabs have tons of room, and pass on the ranch hand bumper to buy myself another foot of space back.

The peace of mind of getting home was a big factor for me. If I'm at MSRH and my car craps itself, I can get a free AAA tow home; it'll be a bit of a hassle but not a disaster. But if I go up to Cresson or ECR, that's a different matter. And that's my intended use case: drive the car to MSRH, but tow it if I go to tracks that are further away.

The DD aspects can be annoying. I have to actually kind of care about what sorts of parking lots I go into, and sometimes I'll gaze wistfully at a spot I would have taken without a second thought in the 335. And a big one is that the parking deck I'm assigned at work has like a 6'2" height limit, so no parking the truck there. If I drive it in to work, I have to park at a surface oversize lot and walk a couple blocks. That's not a huge deal for me, as I take the bus to work 99% of the time.

I agree on the topic of considering extended vs. crew cab. I got the latter and the space back there is insane, especially when you consider that the only regular backseat passengers will be our dogs.

The peace of mind of getting home was a big factor for me. If I'm at MSRH and my car craps itself, I can get a free AAA tow home; it'll be a bit of a hassle but not a disaster. But if I go up to Cresson or ECR, that's a different matter. And that's my intended use case: drive the car to MSRH, but tow it if I go to tracks that are further away.

It definitely sucks having to rent a uhaul or whatever. That said, unless you're driving a really unreliable vehicle, I suspect the math works out far, far in favor of the occasional tow or rental to get home than purchasing and operating a truck and trailer.

That said, there is no doubt that a comfy, quiet ride home with a nice stereo and AC and whatever comforts is nicer than driving a track car home.

It definitely sucks having to rent a uhaul or whatever. That said, unless you're driving a really unreliable vehicle, I suspect the math works out far, far in favor of the occasional tow or rental to get home than purchasing and operating a truck and trailer.

That said, there is no doubt that a comfy, quiet ride home with a nice stereo and AC and whatever comforts is nicer than driving a track car home.

I definitely agree that getting a truck for the sole purpose of potentially saving tow fees is unlikely to result in actual savings. In my case, I was already in the market for a new DD, and wanted something more utilitarian in general, for home projects and stuff. Also something 4WD for some more adventurous trips (we'll probably try camping somewhere way up High Island Beach this spring). So the aspect of towing the car to and from the track was just one of the use cases.

I'm also thinking forward to the mythical day when I build/acquire something that's a dedicated track car, even though that's several years down the road at minimum. Not sure if I'll go with something totally not street legal, but it'd probably be something I'd be less inclined to drive to the track.

(My CTO at work was trying to talk me into buying one of his stock cars he's selling. Said he'd cut me a super deal on it. Eh no, I don't think that's the direction I wanna go for my track events...)

My wife (and sometimes I) daily drives a new Chevy 1 ton dual crew cab diesel 4x4...no big whoop. Easy to drive, pulls whatever we want! I'm usually not home too much but it drives well!

The only thing I'd say about the Tundra is check which years the frame rot applies and whether the frame replacement has been completed. All are good options, all are expensive.

The early Tundras (00-02 I think) had a bad metalurgy on the overdrive gear.  If you towed with overdrive on, it would eventually eat the bearings. I have an 01, and I disable OD to tow.  It's not great for the fuel mileage, but the motor can tow all day without complaint.

But I'd rather have a later model with the 5.7 motor.