robertcope

You suck at point bys

What's a "point-by"??

#Corvettepowernation

I've got no idea.  I just stick an orange triangle on the back of my car and put my hazards on.

#Miatapowernation

My favorite is when you finally get a point-by and then they decide to drag race you down the straight. Do you even lift bro?

My favorite is when you finally get a point-by and then they decide to drag race you down the straight. Do you even lift bro?

Camro logic "The only way I could get passed is if he has more HP, not my fault he ain't using it."

Some amazingly good animations in this article: https://yousuckatracing.wordpress.com/2019/01/05/you-suck-at-point-bys/

This happened to me in my first track day. We were all noobs, but was catching the one guy in an older Corvette that would point me by because he'd pull a gap on the straight, even though I had run up on him. Faster cars would get the point by from me as well as him.

Figured out later that I needed to be a *little* more aggressive and be a little closer for him to recognize that I had actually caught him and wanted to get by. Works both ways.

Camro logic "The only way I could get passed is if he has more HP, not my fault he ain't using it."

LOL.  Assuming you're being "funny"...if you're serious then...LOL at you for narrow mindedness.

Not this Camaro (or any car I'm driving), if you've caught up to me, you're getting a point by as quickly as is safe for me to do so and I'm making room and making sure they can pass easily (less throttle, no throttle, a brake tap to slow down...whatever it needs to be - safely)

In the light of humor:

I'd change your statement to be more like M3 / BMW from my experiences so far, with some Corvettes in the mix.  Especially when I drove a hatchback fwd car....

But nothing beats the arrogance of Miata / BRZ drivers eh?  Big chip on the shoulders, and some underdog need to prove I'm superior mentality.  Imagine if I catch up to one of these guys IN THE CORNERS? I know I know it's simply impossible.  But, what if?

/LOL

LOL.  Assuming you're being "funny"...if you're serious then...LOL at you for narrow mindedness.

Not this Camaro (or any car I'm driving), if you've caught up to me, you're getting a point by as quickly as is safe for me to do so and I'm making room and making sure they can pass easily (less throttle, no throttle, a brake tap to slow down...whatever it needs to be - safely)

In the light of humor:

I'd change your statement to be more like M3 / BMW from my experiences so far, with some Corvettes in the mix.  Especially when I drove a hatchback fwd car....

But nothing beats the arrogance of Miata / BRZ drivers eh?  Big chip on the shoulders, and some underdog need to prove I'm superior mentality.  Imagine if I catch up to one of these guys IN THE CORNERS? I know I know it's simply impossible.  But, what if?

/LOL

cabo has no sense of humor that we are aware of.

5c3787c189981_wtj6ch5dlxi11.gif

In the light of humor:

/LOL

I had an incident with a 911 getting distance on the straights but i'd be right up his ass in the corners.  Decided i'd get W2W level close to him and get a good exit on ricochet so that i could pass him heading into little bend.  The dude decided to give me a point by ON CORNER EXIT and let off the throttle while on racing line.  Needless to say, i had zero options on either going to his inside (outside was grass), or even slowing down in time. Smashed the brakes and went off track sideways. 

I guess my point is, its not always bmw's and vettes! 

I'm running in the blue group with my underpowered Spec944 at CoTA.  Caught up to a Blue-Solo M5 -- took 5 point byes on the same lap.

Never sure whether I would get one or not, especially if you don't complete the pass, so it really can be hard on a momentum car to fly through a corner,

only to have to check up and risk getting unsettled having to back out.

Finally decided I would get one for sure and kept my momentum through 11 -- he got the drift (literally) when I gave him the pedaling with both

hands gesture (i.e. i'm going as fast as I can go) as I pulled along side him -- followed by a lift gesture :-)

M

Jokes are for children. Camaros are for hillbillies that don't understand the difference between an apex and a parking lot. 

On point 1 I disagree.  On point 2, well damn.  That's mostly true  :laugh:

I had an incident with a 911 getting distance on the straights but i'd be right up his ass in the corners.  Decided i'd get W2W level close to him and get a good exit on ricochet so that i could pass him heading into little bend.  The dude decided to give me a point by ON CORNER EXIT and let off the throttle while on racing line.  Needless to say, i had zero options on either going to his inside (outside was grass), or even slowing down in time. Smashed the brakes and went off track sideways. 

I guess my point is, its not always bmw's and vettes!

Yeah, I hate people who park it at track out and give you a point by. Ricochet is bad about that, and Big Bend is another spot they’ll do that. Kills your momentum at best, and you’ve gotta dive off track to avoid them at worst.

What's a point by? Is it an upgrade that I can do to my car? How much does it cost? Does it make me go faster? Does it add HP or more weight?? Curious minds want to know! ? ! ?  :tongue: