Thundermoose

Goals for 2019

Yep! Too bad Terry Fair hates me now, or I'd ask him about steel outbuildings. We have a couple big steps before it's final, but we're committed at this point.

I can put you in touch with my friend Vitek.  He's building one now, and can give you advice if you like.

He autocrosses an LS swapped Miata, so you two would likely get along.

1. Don't crash it
  2. Run the full Spec Miata Nasa TX season
  3. Get within a second of Vinnie's times
  4. Change the spare Spec Miata for a road legal DE car 

Damn.. not going well.. 

Race more!!

Yes! I can't say "race" more, but I definitely want to get to the track more. The last few years have been fairly sad in that regard. I have a fun, safe track car now that I'm enjoying developing, so I gotta use it!

Yes! I can't say "race" more, but I definitely want to get to the track more. The last few years have been fairly sad in that regard. I have a fun, safe track car now that I'm enjoying developing, so I gotta use it!

More seat time (if you're doing it "right" - which I think you are) is always a good thing!!! As soon as ECR gets back online...oh boy...every non-race weekend I plan on being out there ALL weekend long...as in Fri-Sun!!!

On 1/2/2019 at 11:17 AM, robertcope said:

1) Continue getting the Lexus setup and reliable.

2) Get to Barber

3) Do more days at the track than 2018.

Let's check in and see how we did...

1) I'm going to go with SUCCESS on this one! The Lexus is running and driving great!

2) I did not make it to Barber, but I did make it to a new track: NOLA. Although my stated goal was Barber, the real goal was a new track. So, a FAILURE but a SUCCESS?

3) Definitely a FAILURE.

On 1/17/2019 at 2:29 PM, Captain Buddha said:

Race more!!

Already on track for that goal...2 race weekends / 4 races so far and it's only the 17th of January!!!

Well, goal accomplished!! Been an AMAZING year!!! Major accomplishments:

-2019 SCCA Southern States Championship in GT2

-2019 SCCA SowDiv Championship in GT2

-Went Pro, racing Trans Am TA2 - finished Top 10 in my 2nd pro race (9th at Daytona)

-Bunch of new tracks - Homestead-Miami, Sebring, Road America

My 2020 season starts before this year is even over. The car is ready to go and the transporter heads out December 28 for Homestead-Miami and then to Sebring for back to back weekends, 4 days at each track! We fly out on NYE to Miami. Pumped!!!

BTW - these were team accomplishments, without my wife, Troy and crew and Cameron Lawrence, none of this would be possible!

On 1/3/2019 at 3:06 PM, Vinnieb said:

Win more stuff. Break less stuff.

In general-qualify better and get out of the kill zone in spec miata. Too much contact back there.

Position wise in SM I have no idea who ill be competing against in NASA/SCCA. If things shake down the way I suspect I think I can compete for a season championship in NASA. In SCCA I'd be happy consistently being in the top 1/3.

More importantly, I need to systematize things better between sessions at the track. Look at the data more. Understand better setup. Last year I would just kinda drive the car that was under me by the seat of my pants. That doesnt work at the pointy end of SM. I need to diligently work to make the car over the course of the weekend, and make myself better, because once I'm comfortable at a track I have a tendency to just keep doing the same thing. As I've done more w2w in the last year I've kind of stalled at improving over the course of a single lap. Data is the next step in getting better and i need to just embrace that.

Last couple years I've slacked on instructing outside of NASA. Need to get back out to Chin stuff.

Real happy with how it went, but tbh attrition in the Texas Spec Miata field may have given me some false positives.

Definitely got out of the kill zone.  Qualifying top couple rows pretty consistently in NASA

Won NASA regoinal championship .  Definitely in top 1/3 there.  Only ran one SCCA regional race weekend but I was up there in the top 1/3,.  Super tour only ran one race, and it was a weird weekend but at my fastest I was right there in the top 1/3. Finished in Top 1/3 at NASA nationals.   Very happy with on track results this year.

As far as data and systematization I I got a little better but I'm still not there.  All I can gleam from data right now is that after 10 minutes of screwing with the software, "oh hey if I go faster, I save time, like I did on this other lap."  But, we did take a step this year as far as being able to work on the car and note taking after sessions.  Still not where I want to be or need to be but there was some progress made in that department.

On 1/2/2019 at 11:08 AM, jared said:

1: Get to H2R in the Corvette a clock a sub 1:30 before I sell it.

2: Not blow-up said Corvette before I sell it.

3: Get new car that is child seat friendly.

4: Get new car on the track.

5: Get @@lobster to put a Z51 sticker on his car.

1: Didn't happen

2: Accomplished

3: Accomplished

4: Accomplished

5: Failure 😞

16 hours ago, Vinnieb said:

Real happy with how it went, but tbh attrition in the Texas Spec Miata field may have given me some false positives.

Definitely got out of the kill zone.  Qualifying top couple rows pretty consistently in NASA

Won NASA regoinal championship .  Definitely in top 1/3 there.  Only ran one SCCA regional race weekend but I was up there in the top 1/3,.  Super tour only ran one race, and it was a weird weekend but at my fastest I was right there in the top 1/3. Finished in Top 1/3 at NASA nationals.   Very happy with on track results this year.

As far as data and systematization I I got a little better but I'm still not there.  All I can gleam from data right now is that after 10 minutes of screwing with the software, "oh hey if I go faster, I save time, like I did on this other lap."  But, we did take a step this year as far as being able to work on the car and note taking after sessions.  Still not where I want to be or need to be but there was some progress made in that department.

Congrats, Vinnie! Have you hired a coach for a day/weekend? If not, give that a shot - I think you'll be amazed at the results with the right coach!

1. Don't crash it

Had a happening in the winter series before the season start. After that pretty clean besides some "standard" SM taps

2 .Run the full Spec Miata Nasa TX season

Only missed out on Cota as I don't like changing gearboxes.. but added most of the NOLA season to it. 

3. Get within a second of Vinnie's times

Pretty close most tracks.. just not at Cresson

4. Change the spare Spec Miata for a road legal DE car 

On my way to pick up a ESR head for the spare miata.. so not getting rid of it.. but bought a e46 m3, so kinda completed.. ? 

Overall it went pretty well... just realized I didn't do any DE's or open days for the last 3/4 of the year, just ran Nola a lot. Resulted in 3rd in Nasa TX and 1st in Nasa Nola. Pretty stoked with results, but looking to try on the big boys next year as the Texas field thinned a bit. Still trying to see how without spending all my money on Hoosiers..