joesurf79

Joe's Answer: The "NBeater"

43 minutes ago, Solo_S14 said:

I think “the collective we” need to arrange for you to have 3 hot laps on each setup next member day to decide.  

You can use the crapmata to baseline 800/500 on billies and rattle your teeth out 😂.

Ive driven this thing 60 miles round trip on 59 between sugar land and downtown for 9 months on a thoroughly used up SM suspension setup - bilstiens and the eibach sm rates. 700 something /300 ish iirc? Massive red front swaybar as well. 

The parts are ancient and beat to hell, and after the commuting experiment, so is my back now haha! Time for some decent dampers - haley drove it recently and asked if it was a miata or a buckboard wagon. 

Its the crystal ball...I see Joes future..i see an ND as a daily in the driveway at some point...

+1 for Xidas (but personally have never owned anything outside of SM crap), have heard nothing but praise for years. 

The Type R gets 30 mpg and 306hp stock - it’s a beast daily! I’m a sucker for the NDs though...

44 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

I’m a sucker for the NDs though...

The Easy button - Club trim, Ceramic Grey, BBS, Brembos, done. Drive and love into the sunset.

Actually - the least effort Easy button would be to just take her '17 WRX into my stable and buy her the Mommy Hauler Status Jeep or whatever, and the car note count would remain at 1. Which is always nice...I just couldn't leave it alone.

As is, the WRX just feels like a total pig to me now. You sit almost truck high, it's tiny boost-off-idle-tubo runs out of breath above 5K rpm, and it wallows pretty hard etc. Nothing some parts and a tune wouldn't fix I imagine, but do I even want to bother. I should move it now while the vape crowd still loves them and the resale is decent. Hmmm.

24 minutes ago, joesurf79 said:

Actually - the least effort Easy button would be to just take her '17 WRX into my stable.........but do I even want to bother. 

Don’t do it man.  I could tell you not to do it because subaru’s break immediately with mods.  Then break immediately after being fixed.  etc.  I could reflect on my Evo/Miata comparison to your WRX/BRZ potential setup.  I could tell you about my buddy that has a T/A turbo BRZ and a 2017 STI....and how he now wants to park the STI in a flood zone.....etc.

But I won’t.  Instead, I’ll tell you to sell that pig, and LS swap that BRZitch.

13 minutes ago, Solo_S14 said:

Don’t do it man. ... subaru’s break immediately with mods.  Then break immediately after being fixed.  etc.  ....and how he now wants to park the STI in a flood zone...

But I won’t.  Instead, I’ll tell you to sell that pig, and LS swap that BRZitch.

It wasn't always that way - what a difference a decade makes. I had an '04 wagon that I beat the piss out of relentlessly and tweaked on constantly, and it kept on ticking. Maybe they're not as robust as they used to be (I think I sensed this - as I think back to the two exhaust manifold gaskets that the 2017 has had replaced under warranty, then the warped exhasut manifold that was replaced under warranty, and the questions about track use, etc.) 

LS Swap will happen, likely 2020. Lots of planning, reading, prepping, parts collecting to do.  II'd prefer to minimize the downtime as much as possible by learning as much from other people's follies as possible :drinks:

So its tenure as Haley's track car starts tomorrow with a drive to Cresson. Brand new 225 width RS4s mounted up, hard top bolted down, and oil changed.

20191003_183118.thumb.jpg.ca9a37968c268d790990f0974e7570c1.jpg

Oil cooler line is weeping a tiny bit, but its tight and doesnt leave a drip?

20191003_170613.thumb.jpg.4ae7d49693ed208b442c771db2d62f21.jpg

Also made a coolshirt "loop splitter". Driver and passenger can both feed their coolshirts at the same time for a session. Flows driver's shirt first for safety, then passenger shirt and back to the ice box - pretty neat if you ask me 😉 

20191003_183103.thumb.jpg.9076ac81b020f3d6069a315c2b1f2daa.jpg

That’s genius, just need to color code them, and then not tell anyone which one is primary.....so that you can be “safe” while instructing as well 😂

On 9/23/2019 at 6:41 PM, joesurf79 said:

Lots of updates, but not tooo many pics. Moving houses is a time suck, its all i can do to get anything done for fun 😉 Yes, im still getting it organized lol...

Over the past few months though I've been flogging the NBeater into shape to be Haley's track car. Her WRX is going to get traded for something that will more easily fit Jake, his sibling to come, and all of the needed gear for them that Im convinced cavemen just barely survived without...*sarcasm*

I've been in my house 10 years this month, and I'm STILL trying to get the shop built.  it's been on "temporary power" via an extension cord zip tied to the fence for about 5 years now.

three words for you.  "Honda Odyssey Racevan"

SHDEC2029.jpg

35 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

I've been in my house 10 years this month, and I'm STILL trying to get the shop built.  it's been on "temporary power" via an extension cord zip tied to the fence for about 5 years now.

three words for you.  "Honda Odyssey Racevan"

Move the V6 and transaxle to where the middle seats were, and BAM. It's practically an NSX!

4 minutes ago, Solo_S14 said:

VANSX?

I almost feel like with that genius name that wrote itself, that the universe has commanded us to make my dumb idea happen...

So now, my wife will probably tell me she is pregnant again when I get home.

I mean, throw a heavy carpet over the engine / trans and it’s basically an ottoman for those in the back seat...

SuperMiata "sport" clutch and flywheel went in this weekend. Everything went in smoothly, bled the clutch and it seems to release fine, no slippage. There's a fair amount of "shakey/chatter" right at the engagement point, but I have a feeling that is normal. Will daily it all week and see if it changes.  Have a new fuel pump to put in as well. Hoping to identify/correct the fuel starvation issue at or below a half tank that the car has now. Seems to only happen on left turns. Maybe some trash in the tank? Clogged in tank sock? Either way, new pump / sock going in this week :)