joesurf79

Joe's Answer: The "NBeater"

Indeed! Glad you saved it bud. And yes, clearly your wife loves you very much.

Also also, dude that's some awesome memory and drawing..and evidently you keep your tools really organized. I have to hunt every time I want to find a tool...i suck at organization

On 4/20/2019 at 10:04 AM, BigMonkey73 said:

Indeed! Glad you saved it bud. And yes, clearly your wife loves you very much.

Also also, dude that's some awesome memory and drawing..and evidently you keep your tools really organized. I have to hunt every time I want to find a tool...i suck at organization

It was lucky that I had just cleaned everything up, so that they were in the right spots! I'm usually "semi organized". I track tools like gazelle in the wild. Things periodically return to the watering hole (toolbox), but I know where they were last seen in the mean time. 

This weekend I changed the oil, replaced the alternator belt and accessory belt, and swapped the mismatched worn out, cobbled together front sway bar endlinks with some fresh FM links. Less clunk/ bang leaving the driveway 😉

I would have installed a mazda replacement plastic under tray (car came without one) as well to help ensure cooling airflow, but several of the mount points were found to be compromised...bolts broken off in them, tabs bent to hell, etc. That'll be a quick project to make new tabs, and zip them on with the mig gun. Just need the time 😞

The engine removal process has been smoother than expected for a 20 yo car...I suspect most of these bolt have been broken loose in the past few years lol! 

It's all but ready to come out. Just need to confirm it's all disconnected , attach the picker, spin the mount nuts off and lift...

20190615_190949.thumb.jpg.ddbd07b3391bced4f3d0ca4980d0d47a.jpg

Glad I'm going over the thing out of the car. Itll be easier to find gems like this left by the previous owners. I think the connector was supposed to stay away from heat...think it was laying on the egr tube 😲😬 

20190615_191405.thumb.jpg.9df0e7b236a55bc70bd3f49a2812baef.jpg

Best first Fathers day ever! 

New water pump, coolant reroute kit, cam seals, timing belt and tensioner, oil pump, and front /rear crank seals got in today. Tomorrow, new clutch, and sealing the oil pan properly. And finding a nut to hold the oil pick up to the wind age tray. The last person in the oil pan thought it was unnecessary apparently..but thought that 2 full tubes of rtv were needed to seal basically everything  lol...

20190616_115221.thumb.jpg.1397656f8eb9ef59cad76ae6e84717ba.jpg

20190616_165600.thumb.jpg.6c9c53f69ce233e75b9375cc073fd9d5.jpg

The NBeater hath been reborn. It shall henceforth be known as "Gateway Drug". After it's reliability makeover, it will be used to entice co workers into coming to try track driving...the first one is free...

During the past 4 days it received in no particular order a few new parts:

Clutch Kit, clutch slave and master cylinder with stainless line, a "gently used" 5spd transmission from craigslist, shifter rebuild, motor mounts, water pump, oil pump, timing belt, cam seals, front and rear crank seals, re-sealed the oil pan, new egr tube (old one was cracked), new exhaust manifold gasket, supermiata coolant reroute kit, supermiata crossflow radiator, new coolant hoses, FM rebuildable driveshaft, new brake booster vacuum hoses, and a coolshirt system. 

Car feels fantastic now (my hands and back are a different story !)  Only major maintenance left is to pull the cams at some point measure the existing shims and order new ones for the 13/16 that have clearance which are out of spec by a few thousandths. And perhaps throw fresh dampers and streetable springs on it - 700#F / 325# R  spec miata rates are getting old on the street. I have a pretty new feeling, '99 salvage title Miata, that I'm not concerned about cosmetically. Exactly what I was shooting for 😉20190618_154805.thumb.jpg.5e1f9a7eaf7ccb1c5299d0dc5fa0eac2.jpg

20190621_112741.thumb.jpg.2be187886674461d22e84d24123c27f0.jpg

Success! Ran great temps all weekend with my buddy Mark Churchill at the helm. Coolshirt worked great. Coming from a Corvette Grand Sport, his only question was where all the horsepower went haha!

IMG_19420.JPGIMG_19963.thumb.JPG.2c72a9457555430ae06eaf8b34158820.JPG

Tell him the name of the game is to increase his min speed.  Driving a Miata will make him faster in a Vette.

1 hour ago, hornetball said:

Tell him the name of the game is to increase his min speed.  Driving a Miata will make him faster in a Vette.

Any data Joe?  I’d be interested in those min speed references.  Here’s mine from the weekend vs a slightly faster time in the other direction back in April 200TW RE71R:

5AE2B4CC-F3E2-49E6-855E-198A74A6FCDD.png

7587C871-13F0-4AED-9D76-996C9DF20D9D.png

Sadly, no data from the Miata. I have an Aim, but it was in my BRZ, and I forgot to offer it up to Mark in the Miata. My wife has expressed interest in taking the Miata to be her track car (and trade her WRX for a mom-mobile), so it'll be out again no doubt.