Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SCCA Winter Festival Majors @ Cresson Jan 25-27, 2019

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

El_Tortuga

El_Tortuga

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationDFW
  • Track Vehicle:2014 Mustang GT (Track pack/Recaros)

I think we need to take another look at classing, too, though it's probably too late for this year.  Some of the classes seem a bit too broad in terms of the horsepower spread they encompass, particularly in view of dropping the subclass modifiers. 

You should be sitting OK. STR,STU, STH lumped together.

As a Street Touring Pony, I got tossed to Prepared group last year. Came out in 1st again. :) This year I'm ESP since they did away with STP. Lumped with SSP/ASP/BSP with the Vettes, 911s, and SC Mustangs and Camaros. Not to mention what a prepped BMW could be. Oh well, still better than being thrown into the wild west that is CAM. I'd be 250-400 hp off the pace in that bunch

• 865 likes this

A haw, haw, haw

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCarrollton, Texas
  • Track Vehicle:2013 MX-5 Miata

You should be sitting OK. STR,STU, STH lumped together.

As a Street Touring Pony, I got tossed to Prepared group last year. Came out in 1st again. :) This year I'm ESP since they did away with STP. Lumped with SSP/ASP/BSP with the Vettes, 911s, and SC Mustangs and Camaros. Not to mention what a prepped BMW could be. Oh well, still better than being thrown into the wild west that is CAM. I'd be 250-400 hp off the pace in that bunch

I'm not so sure, Joe. I'm up against an STU class Mustang, it appears.  Could be 420HP ( manufacturer rating at the crank)?  SCCA says 2015 to 2017 Mustang in STU, his is a 2014 GT, but maybe it's covered in the catch-all. I'm hoping it's misclassed.  :)

El_Tortuga

El_Tortuga

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationDFW
  • Track Vehicle:2014 Mustang GT (Track pack/Recaros)

I'm not so sure, Joe. I'm up against an STU class Mustang, it appears.  Could be 420HP ( manufacturer rating at the crank)?  SCCA says 2015 to 2017 Mustang in STU, his is a 2014 GT, but maybe it's covered in the catch-all. I'm hoping it's misclassed.  :)

You should fear the Mustangs, especially if you hang around on the sidewalks near car shows. I would have been happy to run STU (and used to for 1 season of autocross), but tire size limit was like 285. Would be most competitive as an STU car on RE-71s but I'm not going that route.

STANG KILLA SS

STANG KILLA SS

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationKilleen Texas
  • Track Vehicle:C6 Z06

is any sort of license or membership required for this?

just a piss on HPDE driver here.....

BRZ4Science

BRZ4Science

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX
  • Track Vehicle:Subaru BRZ

is any sort of license or membership required for this?

just a piss on HPDE driver here.....

For the Time Trials, if you have documented track experience and are solo approved with one or more of the local groups you can be approved to run the Time Trials program (you do have to be an SCCA member but  you can do a weekend membership if needed). If we don't know you or if you seem sketchy, we'll have you do one of our PDX (or whatever we call them this week) to get you solo approved and into the Time Trials program.

Coaches have to be Motorsports Safety Foundation Level 1 certified and we're having a coaches training day in a couple of months.

The biggest difference between this and a normal HPDE is that 1) passing flags are mandatory and if you miss 2 you're black flagged, and 2) after the first session you are assigned a grid position based on your best lap times. The SCCA is pretty strict on flags and safety and they aren't shy about black flagging people. 

The Time Trials program is great fun, I highly recommend it to anyone interested in adding a little something to your track experience (you are essentially always in a tight battle with the people in front of and behind but with little passing, so you usually have a great time chasing a slightly faster driver and pushing to improve).