Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SCCA Winter Festival Majors @ Cresson Jan 25-27, 2019

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Captain Buddha

Captain Buddha

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX
  • Track Vehicle:Monte Carlo #13 GTA/GT2, Camaro #13 GT2/TA2, Z06

TX Region SCCA Winter Festival Majors

SCCA - Texas Region - Club Racing

Saturday, Jan 26 — Sunday, Jan 27, 2019

Motorsport Ranch - Cresson, Cresson, TX

Registration/more info:

https://www.motorspo...b-racing-388403

Come awwwwn! Going to be fun! I'll be running The Full Monte there....

2003 Monte Carlo #13 GTA/GT2 - 2015 SCCA Mid-States Majors GT2 Champ

2011 Camaro #13 TA2/GT2

56201e78c30b9_DaytonaBankingsig.jpg

El_Tortuga

El_Tortuga

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationDFW
  • Track Vehicle:2014 Mustang GT (Track pack/Recaros)

TT on both days for me.

BRZ4Science

BRZ4Science

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX
  • Track Vehicle:Subaru BRZ

TT on both days for me.

Same here, the Time Trial filled up fast. The 25 spots filled up in the first 24hrs!

himself

himself

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:6GT3 | Spec Barbie | 7C2Cab

Trying to get the boss to let me run.  Long drive to Cresson...  Will be in EProd if I make it.

-td

Hollywood

Hollywood

Wingman

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:Money on fire
50/50 in for SM

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
99 SM | 99 WRL | 08 S2000 CR | 18 CIVIC TYPE-R

Matt93SE

Matt93SE

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts
  • LocationHouston-ish
  • Track Vehicle:The slow kind

Not sure if I'll make it yet.   still in startup/commissioning stage on the job and it's 70hr weeks all of november and december..  I basically walked off the job site last friday and told the boss I'd be back Jan 2. if he didn't like it, I'd be happy to return my laptop and badge when I get back from seeing family.

Anyway, it's likely that I won't make this one because it's a long tow from Alvin to Cresson for MSR-C and I need tires to make the event worth my trip.  I'm not convinced I'll be happy with myself after spending $3000 to race at Cresson..

And just because I'm a shitty driver doesn't make a miata any less slow.

I drive slow as shit. LOL

geez, now I realize I drive slow everywhere. haha!

Captain Buddha

Captain Buddha

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Bummer, Matt...  :sad:

2011 Camaro #13 TA2/GT2

BigMonkey73

BigMonkey73

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationDallas
  • Track Vehicle:2012 Base C6

In for time trials, first time attending TT event. Car getting a few upgrades first week of January, hopefully no surprises pop up

A haw, haw, haw

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCarrollton, Texas
  • Track Vehicle:2013 MX-5 Miata

I'm in for the TT on both days as well.  Had a little trouble registering as the system kept trying to put my tame little STR autocross car in the new Ultimate class.  I don't think so!  Had to get some help straightening it out, but I finally made it before it filled up.

RUQWIKR

RUQWIKR

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationRockwall, TX
  • Track Vehicle:17 SS 1LE

Same here, the Time Trial filled up fast. The 25 spots filled up in the first 24hrs!

Bummer.  Did not know they were limiting it to 25 spots.  What's the deal with limiting it to 25 - is it parking spaces?  There were way more than 25 cars at the last Time Trials event, so, stupid me, being gone for over a week on vacation, I did not hurry to sign up.  Heck, that was on the 1.3, so, I sure thought (wrongly), more would be on the 1.7.

Oh, well, I won't be running in 2019 as I planned since I'll be down two points days.  That's fine.  I'll just let my sons run the car more since I'll take the SCCA days off my calendar.  

BRZ4Science

BRZ4Science

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Bummer.  Did not know they were limiting it to 25 spots.  What's the deal with limiting it to 25 - is it parking spaces?  There were way more than 25 cars at the last Time Trials event, so, stupid me, being gone for over a week on vacation, I did not hurry to sign up.  Heck, that was on the 1.3, so, I sure thought (wrongly), more would be on the 1.7.

Oh, well, I won't be running in 2019 as I planned since I'll be down two points days.  That's fine.  I'll just let my sons run the car more since I'll take the SCCA days off my calendar.  

The Time Trial is being held in conjunction with the Winter Festival Club Trials Race, the TT only has the track for one session so we're limited to what we can fit on track at once (25 on the 1.7, 20ish on the 1.3, and 30 on the 3.1.

I'll talk to Brad and see if he wants to drop 1-2 events (best 7 of 9) like we do for autocross so that people who miss a weekend aren't completely out of the running (especially with limited events like this one). When the series first started we were lucky to get 5 points events, but with 9-10 on the calendar we can afford to drop 1-2 (we had to in 2018 with ECR being closed).

Don't give up on us yet!

RUQWIKR

RUQWIKR

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationRockwall, TX

Sam, thanks for the info.  With only one session, sounds like the TT guys get to wait (and wait and wait) for very limited track time during the weekend.  No thanks.  That sounds exactly like what I got away from after 35 years of drag racing - make a run, then wait forever for your class to come up again.  If SCCA is trying to expand the Time Trials participation on a national basis, it should be a showcase class and a regular, integral part of events like the January one at Cresson.

BRZ4Science

BRZ4Science

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Sam, thanks for the info.  With only one session, sounds like the TT guys get to wait (and wait and wait) for very limited track time during the weekend.  No thanks.  That sounds exactly like what I got away from after 35 years of drag racing - make a run, then wait forever for your class to come up again.  If SCCA is trying to expand the Time Trials participation on a national basis, it should be a showcase class and a regular, integral part of events like the January one at Cresson.

You only run a single session normally anyway. We have one of the 3 or 4 groups, so just like a normal event you get to drive your 20min sessions once an hour (in the past we've been forced down to just 3 sessions per day, but typically we get 4 as long as everything runs smoothly and there aren't too many on track incidents with the club racers).

There are only so many available weekends at MSR, once ECR reopens we'll have an easier time running our standalone events again. For 2019 there are 11 scheduled events over 8 different weekends. Only this first weekend and the November event are not standalone events (the November event will be in conjunction with the Race School, they don't have as many sessions as a club race does so they won't cannibalize nearly as much track time).

Really you should look at this event as more of a bonus event, if we didn't run with the Club Race we wouldn't have a date to race at all. It's unfortunate that a number of people had to be put on a wait-list and that we won't get quite as many sessions as normal, but that's better than not racing at all. If ECR was available, we'd probably have run there as a stand alone event.

Captain Buddha

Captain Buddha

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Have you even looked at the schedule, seriously?

TT guys get 80, yes, 80, that’s EIGHTY minutes of track time on Saturday....us racers get 50.....

And for Sunday, TT guys again, get 80, yes, 80, that’s EIGHTY minutes of track time...us racers get 60....so what was the issue again?

Also look at the number of sessions that the TT guys get...the schedule is there for you to see, look it over, you’ll see you get quite a bit of track time. Used to drag race...this is nothing like the hurry up and wait game...club racing does have a whole lot of waiting...especially for the Super Tour...and the runoffs...oh...and then Trans Am as well...time to prep/repair/tweak the cars between testing, qualifying, racing, etc...the TT guys, especially at this event, are getting preferential treatment...and that is A-OK with me!

2011 Camaro #13 TA2/GT2

RUQWIKR

RUQWIKR

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationRockwall, TX

Have you even looked at the schedule, seriously?

TT guys get 80, yes, 80, that’s EIGHTY minutes of track time on Saturday....us racers get 50.....

And for Sunday, TT guys again, get 80, yes, 80, that’s EIGHTY minutes of track time...us racers get 60....so what was the issue again?

Also look at the number of sessions that the TT guys get...the schedule is there for you to see, look it over, you’ll see you get quite a bit of track time. Used to drag race...this is nothing like the hurry up and wait game...club racing does have a whole lot of waiting...especially for the Super Tour...and the runoffs...oh...and then Trans Am as well...time to prep/repair/tweak the cars between testing, qualifying, racing, etc...the TT guys, especially at this event, are getting preferential treatment...and that is A-OK with me!

I had not looked at the schedule, and wrongly, jumped to the conclusion looking at the glass half empty.  I appreciate the info.  I was assuming when he said one session, it was just that, one session total per day.

Good luck to the guys that did get one of the 25 slots...

A haw, haw, haw

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I'll talk to Brad and see if he wants to drop 1-2 events (best 7 of 9) like we do for autocross so that people who miss a weekend aren't completely out of the running (especially with limited events like this one). When the series first started we were lucky to get 5 points events, but with 9-10 on the calendar we can afford to drop 1-2 (we had to in 2018 with ECR being closed).

The 2019 Time Trials Supplementary Rules would need to be modified, as there is currently no mention of drops.  Link from Texas Region Time Trials page     https://texasscca.or...on_tt_supps.pdf

I think it would be a good idea to use a "best 7 of 9", or whatever, because it can be difficult to get to every single event, especially when there is a low entry cap, as with these first two events.

BRZ4Science

BRZ4Science

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

The 2019 Time Trials Supplementary Rules would need to be modified, as there is currently no mention of drops. Link from Texas Region Time Trials page https://texasscca.or...on_tt_supps.pdf

I think it would be a good idea to use a "best 7 of 9", or whatever, because it can be difficult to get to every single event, especially when there is a low entry cap, as with these first two events.

I plan on discussing it with Brad at the regional meeting, changing the sups isn't too tough and i think the vast majority of competitors would be in favor of the change.

A haw, haw, haw

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I think we need to take another look at classing, too, though it's probably too late for this year.  Some of the classes seem a bit too broad in terms of the horsepower spread they encompass, particularly in view of dropping the subclass modifiers. 

BRZ4Science

BRZ4Science

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

I think we need to take another look at classing, too, though it's probably too late for this year.  Some of the classes seem a bit too broad in terms of the horsepower spread they encompass, particularly in view of dropping the subclass modifiers. 

Brad and the TT committee were looking at classing and asking for input. If you've got ideas, send them to him. 

A haw, haw, haw

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I could point out some disparities but the only solution I can think of would result in more classes, which may not be a good thing for the number of competitors we have. So I'm short on good ideas.  The National TT classing for Street and Tuner categories don't seem too bad.