marco8

Motorsport Ranch Houston January 26th & 27th, 2019 Registration Open

That looks like it was during a TT session. 

It may of been a different plane but during one of our sessions a plane did come in surprisingly low.    It was neat. 

That looks like it was during a TT session. 

It may of been a different plane but during one of our sessions a plane did come in surprisingly low.    It was neat. 

Yeah, looking at the schedule it was probably TT; this was around 8:30.

Well, I sort of attended very briefly Sunday morning...

I saw you!

Did a / the photographer take pics of the HPDE people?  I want to see how much lean the Camaro has.  Feels like a floaty bouncy mess at speed.

And there are no TT cars in their paddock spots in the video. I also noticed a plane in the area. Looks like a great view from up there!

Mixed bag of a weekend.

Thursday was a late night wrapping up the car and packing.  We didn't have any data onboard so a full day of testing didn't make sense so we decided to shake the car down on Friday (had done offset bushings, new Penskes, new fuel pressure regulator, lotsa stuff).  First session was a shakedown.  Cat felt good, hooray!  Second session was continuing to get dialed in and learning what the Miata liked around here.  For session 3 I lined up behind someone who I knew would be fast to see if I could hang on and learn some stuff (had never been in this direction in a Miata).  When the nice lady letting us go took 30 second checking my wristband I went after him hard on the warm up lap to try to catch up before he got moving.  That ended with a mud bath at the exit of the carousel.  After working like crazy to get mud out of everywhere I ran the last session, feeling pretty good.  We finished cleaning up the car and called it a night.

Saturday morning qualifying I got behind Tony, who was more familiar with the Miata and MSRH than anyone.  I figured if I stick with him, we're both gonna qualify well.  We had to work through traffic but our last lap was finally clean.  I was dissapointed to find out that I'd qualified 4th...

Race one was meh.  I lost some spots at the start (MSRH is not a great place to start outside) but was in the lead pack at carousel.  Sam Decided to go off roading in front of me and my eyes almost followed him out there.  Checked up, lost a spot, spent most of the race in 5 unable to gain ground.  McCammon gifted everyone a spot by spinning out from 2nd and I crossed the line in 4th

Race 2 was my best of the weekend. Started P4, Sam was kind to not pinch me off wide and I entered the hump in P3.  Got around Agha at the end of that lap in the carousel and set my sights on Porter in first.  Was gaining on him by .2 per lap but was still a second or two behind him when the double yellows came out and ended the race.  During this race I threw down fastest lap of the race and the day, and I was all sorts of chipper going into Sunday

* Twice this weekend there were double yellows with no pace car.  That ends up being really confusing and possibly dangerous.  If you're going FCY, bring out a pace car.  Fin.

Sunday Qualifying I figured I'd keep going my strategy of following someone fast.  I figured the person who had swept the previous days races would work well.  He was in the lead of our pack for a couple of laps but pulled off after he was flat spotting a bunch.  I drove what felt like a pretty rockin' session and came in to learn that I had qualified 6th and the guy behind me had won pole.  Guess I've still got alot to learn about Spec Miata...

Race 3 I set pressures lowish hoping to hang on untl they heated up and then go after the leaders.  I ended the first lap in 4th on the tail of the lead pack, but had my mirrors full of tony and tires that weren't quite ready to party.  I slipped up and let him by.  Next lap I miss a shift and gave up 2 positions.  Dissapointing race.

Race 4 I started 5th, went into the busstop in 3rd, and ran out of grip/talent at the busstop exit and went off, effectively ruining my race.

First weekend ever in a properly setup miata showed that the raw speed is there, but the driver needs to find the balance between running at the spec miata ragged edge, and mistakes that can completely sink a 20 minute race.  All in all, a decent points weekend.  Feeling like the potential for a great season is there... onto SCCA Super Tour next week before getting back to NASA at Cresson.

Sounds like a pretty fun weekend overall, sounds like you did good too, congrats! Looking forward to COTA this week/weekend!!

Regarding FCY and pace car - only speaking for SCCA here, not sure what NASA rules are - but the overall leader is the pace car and sets the pace under FCY - unless / until the pace car / safety car comes out. If it's a FCY then *every* driver should abide by FCY rules. Just my thoughts. And surely (not Shirley LOL) the leader knows they are the leader...if they are not...well, yeah, that would be a problem....hey - let's pit! LOL!

* Twice this weekend there were double yellows with no pace car.  That ends up being really confusing and possibly dangerous.  If you're going FCY, bring out a pace car.  Fin.

What is so confusing about FCY?  Rarely will NASA have a pace car.