Sign in to follow this  
nealb

Race seat into an NC and keeping steering wheel airbag functional

Anyone done this?

Driver side only

I saw an older thread on another forum talking about how to trick the seat weight sensors. 

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=614984

I assume that is to allow the steering wheel airbag to function, rather than to just keep the dash warning light off.  Is that correct?

And putting 2k ohm resistors into the side air bag circuit to keep that idiot light off.

Yes, I've done this mod. Fooling the weight sensor from the passenger seat (2013 club) was a pain, but I do have fully functional airbags and race seats now.

That is correct. Also consider safety on if you really want the airbag working or just light off. If its just light off, some cars you can remove the actual light bulb for light, and other cars you have to shove a piece of black tape in and then put light behind it.  Without research i'll assume you have none of these options and I totally get why it would annoy you to see light.

I saw a solve of this by inserting the passenger weight sensor into a bit of yoga mat, then bolting the seat/seat bracket on top of it, so it would have a constant weight.

*Edit - sorry I'm an idiot and can't read the original post.

Thanks for the input

I finally decided to do only the driver side (got a deal on one seat with mount) and did the 2 ohm resistor for the air bag and left the position sensor under the seat

Supposedly, now the steering wheel air bag will work and no warning lights