Code Monkey

Track event manager job

Posted on the Chin forum.

Has anybody ever worked in a position like this?  Asking for a friend.  You can pm me as well.

Everyone I know that's been a track manager or event manager wants to shoot themselves.  ridiculous hours, gone every single weekend, long hours at a desk doing email, scheduling, and 'social marketing' when you're not gone..  I wouldn't touch it for less than 150k, and certainly avoid it if you're married with children and have an option elsewhere.

but hey, that's just me.

That job description sounds horrid. I don't care how much you like cars and going to the track, 80+ hr weeks with lots of travel will grind you down over time. 

The job posting screams a cheap business owner trying to get the work of 2 people out of one, just because they think their business is important enough to negatively impact their employee's quality of life just to make a few bucks more. 

That job description sounds horrid. I don't care how much you like cars and going to the track, 80+ hr weeks with lots of travel will grind you down over time. 

The job posting screams a cheap business owner trying to get the work of 2 people out of one, just because they think their business is important enough to negatively impact their employee's quality of life just to make a few bucks more. 

People sign up for this stuff all the time.   they work it for 2-3-4-5 years and then decide they've had enough.. so right about the time people get good at it, they quit and the owner is back at square 1.

as you mention, it sounds like they need to hire two (or more) people to share the load.  alternate travel weeks, divide up the territory, something..   but again, I'm not volunteering for that.  BTDT being gone from home for 3 weeks/month and every weekend.  

Guest lobster

yep.   Sounds like someone who doesn't care about their employees work/life balance.  

Overworking isn't good for the employee or the employer in the long run.    I want happy healthy employees not tired and contemptuous ones. 

yep.   Sounds like someone who doesn't care about their employees work/life balance.  

Overworking isn't good for the employee or the employer in the long run.    I want happy healthy employees not tired and contemptuous ones. 

What really gripes me is the apparent attitude, like working 80-hour weeks is somehow something to be proud of.

I specifically tell my guys not to work late. It's not a sustainable employment model and I don't want anyone mistakenly thinking it's expected. I had a new guy a while back who mentioned to me he'd been working on stuff after hours to try to get up to speed faster. I told him I appreciated the attitude, but that he didn't need to do that. If I didn't want to pay someone to learn, I wouldn't have hired someone entry-level.

Not only is overwork a surefire path to genuine burnout, but combining your job with your hobby rarely pans out from what I've seen. The added job stress ruins both as your brain relearns the hobby as a stressor, and rejects the work it expected to be fun lol!

Do what you love in order to ESCAPE work stress - that b.s. line about loving what you do for a living is millenial blogger nonsense from people who never worked a "real" job. Just my opinion though.

Not only is overwork a surefire path to genuine burnout, but combining your job with your hobby rarely pans out from what I've seen. The added job stress ruins both as your brain relearns the hobby as a stressor, and rejects the work it expected to be fun lol!

Do what you love in order to ESCAPE work stress - that b.s. line about loving what you do for a living is millenial blogger nonsense from people who never worked a "real" job. Just my opinion though.

There's a big difference between transforming a hobby into your full time (or more) job, and genuinely enjoying what you do at work. 

I really love most of what I do now at work. It really interests me to work out complex engineering problems on something that's really pushing the edge of what's currently possible (I do engineering on rockets). That said, it's still work, and I don't like all aspects of it the same. They wouldn't call it work if it were all fun and games. This isn't a story that you've GOT to find something like this to be happy in life, but it does exist, and it's not BS.

My hobby is cars, and while it has a lot of similarities to my day job, it is different and "fresh" to pick it up as a hobby. I think if I turned my hobby into my job I'd end up enjoying both less. 

To that vein, the classic "work hard, play hard" is a good mantra for the majority of people - me included.

I neither hate nor love my job.  It's not fulfilling, inspiring, or enjoyable in it's own right.  But it pays more than my ambition warrants (damn buddhist outlook at an early age...) , and I'm fairly good at it.

In the Objectivist viewpoint - no matter what you do, do it very well - there is joy in that alone, and worthiness.

Success in your given task - no matter how menial, no matter how grandiose, is what it's about.

No thanks to another job, I'm probably unemployable now!  It would be awfully hard working for anyone else, even if it had to do w/ tracks and sports cars.