If you are having trouble logging in, please try resetting your password. The email you get will include your "Display Name" ("Hi, Display Name") which is what you should use to log in with. If that doesn't work, email me: [email protected]

N546RV

TDE 11-17/18 roll call

I'll be there on Sunday only. Hoping for clear skies and low temps :cool:

In

Just did my part to ensure it doesn't rain - rented garage 12...

There once was a time when I could say I'd never spun on-track. Gone straight off a time or two, but never spun. Anyway, that time has now passed.

As a bonus, I started a grass fire and earned the yellow group a red flag.

No fire concerns on Sunday, sigh.

But it was entertaining in the spectator area watching a white car (vaguely similar to the one in Clifton's avatar) audition for Gymkhana 10 in the morning.

@n456rv next time dont take your hands off the wheel and you probably save that, you caught the initial slide and then over corrected. 

But it was entertaining in the spectator area watching a white car (vaguely similar to the one in Clifton's avatar) audition for Gymkhana 10 in the morning.

Hey @@clifton23 - you're famous!

HAHA   That was me.  Fun times out on a slick track, on slicks.  Too much fun was had...  I don't think the flag workers liked it very much, but I had a Daniel Ricciardo sized grill under the helmet.

Interesting weekend for me, kind of felt like a plateau of sorts. In previous events that didn't involve either car trouble or lots of adverse weather conditions, I've always felt improvement, either setting a new PB or laying down a nice string of consistent laps. This weekend I did neither - came close to my previous CW PB, but it was an outlier, and generally my lap strings varied several seconds.

However, Sunday's classroom was about focus, specifically learning how to retain focus. That got me thinking that, over time, I've gotten to caring more about trying to Go Fast on-track. For example, I don't think I've missed flags, but I definitely have let that scan degrade when I got red mist-y. This was something I'd been sort of peripherally aware of, but hadn't done anything about - like that one problem with your house that you've been meaning to fix for years or whatever.

Anyway, with Sunday being nice and wet, I decided it was a good time to actually put into practice the advice I'd heard, and focus on something other than being Ricky Bobby. So I spent the last three sessions talking myself through flag station checks, figuring out the furthest away I could get stations in sight, and so on. And sure enough, it worked - I had lots of clear track at the end of the day since so many people had bailed, and while my laps still weren't super consistent, they were all in a nice ~2-second range. I'm OK with that, especially since this was the first time I've run CW in the wet.

The downside is that now I have to wait about three months before I can try to continue this effort.

HAHA   That was me.  Fun times out on a slick track, on slicks.  Too much fun was had...  I don't think the flag workers liked it very much, but I had a Daniel Ricciardo sized grill under the helmet.

Wish I could have been there...

As a bonus, I started a grass fire and earned the yellow group a red flag.

My wife was working that corner station and she would like to congratulate you on not getting out of your car unlike two other morons who got out of their cars because they "thought they had a grass fire."

My wife was working that corner station and she would like to congratulate you on not getting out of your car unlike two other morons who got out of their cars because they "thought they had a grass fire."

I heard this through the grapevine yesterday. If I recall correctly that was in the yellow group, which only gets more baffling the more I think about it.

Option 1: It was a yellow student, who ought to know better. But then the second person would be an instructor, who way more ought to know better, right?

Option 2: It was a red student or instructor giving a ridealong in yellow. Not really any better from the "ought to know better" perspective.

To be honest, I didn't even think much about the grass fire thing until after the red flag came out and I saw the plume of smoke I left behind. I was aware of the smoke right after I got stopped, but didn't give it much thought, I just wanted to get the car going if possible and get back on track. It had already been a day of stoppages, I didn't want to add yet another one.

Actually, there were two separate incidents where people got out of their cars.  One in the yellow group where the driver got out; the other in the red group where the driver and passenger got out.

I thought the only time you should EVER get out of your car in a live track is if there's a fire?

N546RV - I've been driving this track for a year and I still can't figure out my line through the bus stop going CW. I turn in too late and kill my momentum for the back straight, or turn in too early and drive off track.

I've spun there plenty of times in the wet. RC-1s love water.

What is this "momentum" you speak of? :tongue:

CW I've mostly settled on a later apex that ends up with me not tracking all the way out, only going to maybe a car width of the curb. That lets me straighten out the sweeper just enough that I can (normally) be WOT all the way from just after the bus stop apex. If I get it right I run out of third gear just as I finish tracking out the sweeper. I've found that if I track all the way out after bus stop, it tightens the sweeper just enough that I'm not comfortable going WOT.

What I think happened in my case was I turned in a touch early, but rather than accept my screw-up and the loss of drive, I went WOT anyway and didn't unwind the steering at all (because I was worried about running out of track). I think I might have carried in a bit more speed than usual too, but I haven't looked at the data to verify that. Basically I was just eyeing that Corvette behind me and wanting to keep it back there where it belonged.

Funny thing is, way back in my ~third event in blue, my instructor got on me repeatedly about unwinding on exit, and even said at one point "that's gonna bite you one day." Damned if he wasn't right...

In completely unrelated news: I just got back from a Thanksgiving trip home, where I rented an NB Miata through Turo in lieu of insanely overpriced "normal" rental cars. And I've gotta say, after spending a few days with that car...I get it. I might have to get one sometime... (but maybe an NC cause the NB was a bit on the tight side)

That, and the fact you can build a Miata from parts sold at NAPA or AutoZone. The car is stupid cheap to maintain.

That, and the fact you can build a Miata from parts sold at NAPA or AutoZone. The car is stupid cheap to maintain.

Just don't race/win with axles from NAPA or autozone.

Just don't race/win with axles from NAPA or autozone.

Haha funny that you say that - in a last minute scramble to replace our WRL car's rears we ended up pressing in autozone hubs to last 16 hours  :cool::laugh:  :laugh:  will report back on Monday..