Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

TDE 11-17/18 roll call

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

N546RV

N546RV

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationBrookshire, TX
  • Track Vehicle:335i

Let's get this party started. May the weather gods smile upon us!

joesurf79

joesurf79

Where has all of the time gone ?

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationSugar Land TX
  • Track Vehicle:Gutted 2016 BRZ

I'll be there on Sunday only. Hoping for clear skies and low temps :cool:

Code Monkey

Code Monkey

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationBryan, TX
  • Track Vehicle:'06 Mazdaspeed6 | '17 Subaru BRZ

In.

Alan

Alan

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationNew Braunfels
  • Track Vehicle:2003 MINI Cooper S

In

Just did my part to ensure it doesn't rain - rented garage 12...

" once you put your helmet on and your visor goes down it doesn’t really matter how old you are.”  Colin Edwards   August 8, 2014

clifton23

clifton23

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • Track Vehicle:99 M3

In, instructing

sarenar

sarenar

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationShreveport, Louisiana
  • Track Vehicle:2008 Lotus Elise SC
In as well.

speedracer

speedracer

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • LocationHouston
I am out. Certain family responsibilities have the priority.

edison_GTI

edison_GTI

Miata Converted

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:Casper
I'll be there Sunday only with Casper.
Edison
1995 VW Golf Sport 1.8T - AKA Kermit - NASA GTS2 #675
2007 Mazda MX-5

N546RV

N546RV

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationBrookshire, TX

There once was a time when I could say I'd never spun on-track. Gone straight off a time or two, but never spun. Anyway, that time has now passed.

As a bonus, I started a grass fire and earned the yellow group a red flag.

Pete

Pete

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:'17 Grand Sport

No fire concerns on Sunday, sigh.

But it was entertaining in the spectator area watching a white car (vaguely similar to the one in Clifton's avatar) audition for Gymkhana 10 in the morning.

kfennell

kfennell

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationMartindale, TX
  • Track Vehicle:Exige S

@n456rv next time dont take your hands off the wheel and you probably save that, you caught the initial slide and then over corrected. 

joesurf79

joesurf79

Where has all of the time gone ?

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationSugar Land TX
  • Track Vehicle:Gutted 2016 BRZ

But it was entertaining in the spectator area watching a white car (vaguely similar to the one in Clifton's avatar) audition for Gymkhana 10 in the morning.

Hey @clifton23 - you're famous!

clifton23

clifton23

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

HAHA   That was me.  Fun times out on a slick track, on slicks.  Too much fun was had...  I don't think the flag workers liked it very much, but I had a Daniel Ricciardo sized grill under the helmet.

N546RV

N546RV

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationBrookshire, TX

Interesting weekend for me, kind of felt like a plateau of sorts. In previous events that didn't involve either car trouble or lots of adverse weather conditions, I've always felt improvement, either setting a new PB or laying down a nice string of consistent laps. This weekend I did neither - came close to my previous CW PB, but it was an outlier, and generally my lap strings varied several seconds.

However, Sunday's classroom was about focus, specifically learning how to retain focus. That got me thinking that, over time, I've gotten to caring more about trying to Go Fast on-track. For example, I don't think I've missed flags, but I definitely have let that scan degrade when I got red mist-y. This was something I'd been sort of peripherally aware of, but hadn't done anything about - like that one problem with your house that you've been meaning to fix for years or whatever.

Anyway, with Sunday being nice and wet, I decided it was a good time to actually put into practice the advice I'd heard, and focus on something other than being Ricky Bobby. So I spent the last three sessions talking myself through flag station checks, figuring out the furthest away I could get stations in sight, and so on. And sure enough, it worked - I had lots of clear track at the end of the day since so many people had bailed, and while my laps still weren't super consistent, they were all in a nice ~2-second range. I'm OK with that, especially since this was the first time I've run CW in the wet.

The downside is that now I have to wait about three months before I can try to continue this effort.

RobElliot

RobElliot

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:2004 Mustang GT (Previously: 2011 SRT8 Challenger)

HAHA   That was me.  Fun times out on a slick track, on slicks.  Too much fun was had...  I don't think the flag workers liked it very much, but I had a Daniel Ricciardo sized grill under the helmet.

Wish I could have been there...

Wannabe Hoonigan

clifton23

clifton23

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Wish I could have been there...

Yes!!  I missed my tandem drifting buddy

clifton23

clifton23

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Hey @clifton23 - you're famous!

Damn-IT-FEELS.jpg

Code Monkey

Code Monkey

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationBryan, TX

As a bonus, I started a grass fire and earned the yellow group a red flag.

My wife was working that corner station and she would like to congratulate you on not getting out of your car unlike two other morons who got out of their cars because they "thought they had a grass fire."

N546RV

N546RV

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationBrookshire, TX

My wife was working that corner station and she would like to congratulate you on not getting out of your car unlike two other morons who got out of their cars because they "thought they had a grass fire."

I heard this through the grapevine yesterday. If I recall correctly that was in the yellow group, which only gets more baffling the more I think about it.

Option 1: It was a yellow student, who ought to know better. But then the second person would be an instructor, who way more ought to know better, right?

Option 2: It was a red student or instructor giving a ridealong in yellow. Not really any better from the "ought to know better" perspective.

To be honest, I didn't even think much about the grass fire thing until after the red flag came out and I saw the plume of smoke I left behind. I was aware of the smoke right after I got stopped, but didn't give it much thought, I just wanted to get the car going if possible and get back on track. It had already been a day of stoppages, I didn't want to add yet another one.

Code Monkey

Code Monkey

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationBryan, TX

Actually, there were two separate incidents where people got out of their cars.  One in the yellow group where the driver got out; the other in the red group where the driver and passenger got out.