Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Setup Sheets

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

dunhamr1

dunhamr1

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX
  • Track Vehicle:'89 Merkur XR4Ti

Does anyone use a setup sheet? Something to keep track of the configuration of the car as well as settings (thinking mostly shock settings and tire pressures).

If you do, what do you write down? When do you fill it out? Do you keep them?

1989 Merkur XR4Ti, yes it's weird.

Hollywood

Hollywood

Wingman

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:Money on fire
I keep it all in Google Sheets so I can grab it from any device/mobile, track and direction specific. Also keep a record of all maintenance / fluid logs there.

I don’t log shock settings because there are none in what I drive, but I do log:

-Ambient temps
-Camber and toe, ride height and cross weight if it was fast / felt good
-If time permits, pyro data
-Hot pressures, always
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
99 SM | 94 WRL | 08 S2000 CR | 18 CIVIC TYPE-R

dunhamr1

dunhamr1

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

I keep it all in Google Sheets so I can grab it from any device/mobile, track and direction specific. Also keep a record of all maintenance / fluid logs there.

I don’t log shock settings because there are none in what I drive, but I do log:

-Ambient temps
-Camber and toe, ride height and cross weight if it was fast / felt good
-If time permits, pyro data
-Hot pressures, always

Makes sense! Google makes it easy to have access from many places. Do you have a template that you fill out? Or is it just a list?

Hollywood

Hollywood

Wingman

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:Money on fire

I just made a basic template in Sheets and keep the logs on separate workbooks/tabs, nothing at all fancy (and no computations). Name each worksheet as the track and rock & roll.

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
99 SM | 94 WRL | 08 S2000 CR | 18 CIVIC TYPE-R

BobKid

BobKid

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGranbury, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2001 BMW M Coupe
I wish i were that organized

Matt93SE

Matt93SE

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationHouston-ish
  • Track Vehicle:The slow kind

I wish i were that organized

same here.

Hollywood had the jist of it down.   I usually try to add any other random notes- track condition, how does the car feel during the session, etc.  you don't want to use the same setup notes for a cool green track as you would a hot track that's well rubbered-in.  definitely take the time after the session to write down how it does and what you think it needs for the next session.  you can eventually use those notes to show up at the track with a baseline setup in mind based on the weather and track conditions, and even potentially the age of the tires on the car.  (as tires get older, I tend to run slightly less pressure to create more flex and build heat->soften the rubber)

there are gazillions of setup sheet templates out there you can download..  look around on teh googles and see if you can find something you like.

And just because I'm a shitty driver doesn't make a miata any less slow.

I drive slow as shit. LOL

geez, now I realize I drive slow everywhere. haha!

Alan

Alan

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationNew Braunfels
  • Track Vehicle:2003 MINI Cooper S

Feel free to copy, give feedback:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

" once you put your helmet on and your visor goes down it doesn’t really matter how old you are.”  Colin Edwards   August 8, 2014

dunhamr1

dunhamr1

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Feel free to copy, give feedback:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Quite extensive! Maybe one day I'll need/want something on that level. I may use aspects of it.

Separately I've started a 'journal' which may include a lot of the same things, as well as track notes, how each setup worked, observations about my driving etc. Maybe it's double work, but at least it will reinforce things.