Shuka

The LE5pard - Nix's Ecotec Miata Build

Totally off topic, but AHPs site has the Alpha TIG 201xd for $690...how do I pass on that?

I can't...and thus I'll be able to create some rad stuff (after a steep learning curve and lots of ruined electrodes) of my own out of aluminum and stainless!  

48 minutes ago, joesurf79 said:

Totally off topic, but AHPs site has the Alpha TIG 201xd for $690...how do I pass on that?

I can't...and thus I'll be able to create some rad stuff (after a steep learning curve and lots of ruined electrodes) of my own out of aluminum and stainless!  

Have fun!

I recommend buying a better foot pedal for it. You might also check Home Depot's out the door price compared to AHP's + shipping. 

On 8/5/2019 at 1:43 PM, Shuka said:

Have fun!

I recommend buying a better foot pedal for it. You might also check Home Depot's out the door price compared to AHP's + shipping. 

The stock that is currently shipping now comes with the upgraded foot pedal already!

1 hour ago, mkarr said:

The stock that is currently shipping now comes with the upgraded foot pedal already!

Ordering when I get home. Drooling at the chance to ruin some aluminum. I mean practice welding aluminum...

MKarr or Nix - either of you have any experience with the fingertip control pressure pads for tig torches? Seemed like an interesting concept, but the foot pedal it comes with is free so I'll use that to start.

9 minutes ago, joesurf79 said:

MKarr or Nix - either of you have any experience with the fingertip control pressure pads for tig torches? Seemed like an interesting concept, but the foot pedal it comes with is free so I'll use that to start.

I have no personal experience. But the idea intrigues me. The one I have seen is this: https://tigcontrol.com/ , but I havn't got around to investing in it yet.

It would be interesting, but it would limit how you hold the torch. I'd try it! Though I question any website that's done with Comic Sans.

The AHP comes with a finger switch you can zip tie onto the torch, but it's a clicky switch. You can set up the parameters with the dials and it will put out constant after that when you click the button. It will have different behavior depending if you select 2T or 4T. I should try it... tacking an exhaust under a car on jack stands is an interesting experience when you're working a foot pedal.

Lots and lots of work but very little to show for it in the big push to get ready for the first competition event.

I installed the oil bypass setup, which replaces the stock in-block filter and cover with a billet piece, and plumbed in oil coolers, a remote filter, and the accusump. Due to space constraints I used two small power steering stacked plate coolers. I didn't want to choke throughput so they're plumbed in parallel rather than series. The result is a LOT of fittings and hoses.

image.thumb.png.9f5baca5f7efbb4876bcaf4257d5c8d1.png

image.png

It's a tight fit in there!

I spent Sunday doing a full setup on the car. Adding weight changed everything and cross weight was at like 46%, so I started with ride height and went from there. I also found out my digital angle gauge was lying, so I had 4+ degrees of camber on all wheels! I just started from scratch on alignment. The Paco hub stands and quickjack made it much easier to set up thrust angle, so not a single adjustment on the car went un-changed during this setup.

With all of the 250 lbs of ballast in the car I was overweight, so I pulled 110 lbs of ballast out to hit 2400 lbs. Between wheel and tire combos, cool shirt, ballast, etc, all the variables get tough to keep up with so I use a Google Docs spreadsheet to keep track of what the car should weigh at a given moment.

To run Hoosier I'll need to put 70 lbs back in, so between that and the 20-30 lbs of optional things (passenger seat, cool shirt cooler) I got pretty close with the ballast weight!

I buttoned it all up and did a test run. One of the hoses had a damaged fitting and leaked oil everywhere, but I got it fixed up. Everything seems to be doing what it's supposed to! I'm pretty happy with the catch tank fitment so now I'm trying to come up with other excuses to build things out of aluminum....

image.thumb.png.877d5eef0aedb20d77635b934ff4e5f4.png

Some last minute additions before this weekend's event:

I vinyl wrapped and re-aligned my aluminum headlight doors, applied spots to naked portions, got my class letters and numbers put on, and added a mouth!

image.png

image.png

One of the two main reasons (the other is to hopefully bounce up and cause less damage in an off-track-excursion) for all the added complexity of an articulating undertray/air dam:

image.thumb.png.0e5af3778ca5fcc5344bd05fd3701a98.png

Loading the trailer is super easy! I've done the "remove the front end to load the trailer" dance before. Compared to that, this is just luxurious.

The first race weekend at TMS was a pretty great success! Since there were no ST5 competitors, I pulled the ballast and ran ST4, and managed a 2nd place finish.

KTkInIc6GMv5KOmskeHQ8vhXhowPCtI5aEHIEHP0KjUjdDrQqVLrsRhTHp-NIsgN5fwWSIEEpfjgtNw2ETwHVHWZ4CEW-nAHvfCP98ZJvx6aF4fEBou8jCK1lV_GMDjxPUmWPhiv0GuDWfL_ujWoCR2P5e94kK8E-vbvHYzkezyGg8ZKDUqJqbCY98HZvCy-s_b7Uudw60tfgH859a8ZxR81qDurtbviEkESIZM7pYqIYDR1T5c_5ncyYjVqkNACim4wujBZEOUzdKIA0p7appo--XoI9iiVqhitSgfvKzsneFzMze1nHzUzPMzCN743CLucBlIBoTXLk4IuXHd-x8-akMGTLMY3UzC3H2z4d1AaO1HOcmQb9ClpNkwet6nMiAVosuRCQew6JbonD4CNtAA2LYTHjbp2Th8QpNfzyDN5tt3KvLXZZ_YzkuNK-dM-bDg2hiFWd3a2PqjRp4BjdEC9Z5hprFOiyVd071iS-8j1hrei63rxrcKp06-i0JJ4MbFwhsFE9tOtd0GYGKqnKs_pMIIQC1DbfKXJLqWfvTtfyD33E-ISF60cL0HgqAxeMl2VRS88K4TfgwyuJdlt3MZDO4iL2tnRL6REYn__vPIeAmeZLlq1zoKNRSvoSO-20IVP6JSfQ2_4N36x2AoF4CvxWmrl7Bo=w1178-h883-no

I ran across the scales 3 or 4 times, and wrote down each pass to get my data right. Right off the bat my calculated weight was pretty far off what the NASA scales read - I was 40 lbs heavier than I expected so I pulled more ballast to run in trim in TT5. I also know now that without any ballast on an empty tank, my race weight is right at 2300 lbs per NASA scales.

One mission in the near future is to put the car on my scales and see how they match with NASA's, since the car as it sits ran across the scales at 2316 right before I put it on the trailer.

I had a few small issues:

-Cool shirt cooler is coming apart at the seams (literally) and splashing me with water on track

-Squeaking pulley

-Steering is drifting, like it did at Hallett a while back. I suspect the bolts are a tiny bit loose. I want to make a better fix for this one.

...but that's it! The car ran well, no leaks, didn't overheat in the 100 degree heat!

Handling needs more adjustment for sure - the car handles great with Maxxis tires but not so much with more grippy Hoosiers (pushes.)

16 hours ago, Shuka said:

Handling needs more adjustment for sure - the car handles great with Maxxis tires but not so much with more grippy Hoosiers (pushes.)

Sounds right. My car setup and feeling great on SM7/R7 pushes on streets.